Celebrations

Life's Become Fun Since You Showed Up (hiatus finished after two months)

 

*Kai’s POV*

I’ve been having a problem lately.

It’s not that it’s making me uncomfortable or anything, but it’s getting pretty annoying.

It’s just…

Well…

Is it wrong that I want to keep Meili all to myself?

Is it wrong that I feel sparks of jealousy flit about whenever she laughs because of Kris or that other guy who can’t decide on a hair colour?

Is it wrong that I can’t help but want to keep her by my side?

I know it’s bad to be selfish.

But, Conscience, since I’m already addicted…can’t you make an exception?

 

“Kai? It’s so early…” Meili leans against the doorframe sleepily, a slice of toast hanging haphazardly out of .

“Yah, it’s almost noon! You shouldn’t be following my habits, little one,” I laugh as she quickly ushers me into her apartment, groaning and filling the air with stifled yawns.

“I can’t help it. I haven’t been sleeping well since the audition day.”

“Too excited?”

“Mmm…” she groans and barely makes it to the couch before throwing herself face-first onto the leather, limbs dangling over the side.

It’s become one of those moments where I can’t help but find every one of her actions adorable. I wonder if that thought is another thing that’s wrong, but I brush it off with a laugh, tugging gently at the end of her sweatpants for her attention. Really, it’s amazing that she still wears these things I bought her while she lived as a boy.

“Meili, let’s go celebrate today.”

“We already went with Kris…” she keeps her head down, grumbling through the cushion.

“Eating cheese and crackers under a tree doesn’t qualify as a celebration.”

Actually, anything involving the spawn of Satan shouldn’t be associated with anything acceptable in life.

She flips around, weight rested on elbows, her eyebrows tilted slightly upwards in curiosity.

“So then are we going to go play today?” a small smile tugs at the corner of her pink lips, growing with every second.

“Go and change first, okay?”

“Okay!” she jumps off the couch and rushes into her room, unable to hide the beaming grin gracing her features any longer.

When she’s out of sight I drop to the couch, sighing somewhat in content.

There’s something wrong with me right now. But at this moment, there’s something else there playing around in my mind, overpowering all doubt and guilt and whatever the hell is bothering me.

I don’t know if my problems are going to turn out all right, but this feeling gives me hope.

“…Ready!” she shuts the door behind her, smiling happily.

I nod and walk with her to the front door, trying not to notice how her dress seems to hug her perfectly, or how her hair gathers beautifully in loose curls around her shoulders,

But she’s glowing, as usual.

 

The bus ride to the river park doesn’t take too long, maybe an hour or so, and by the time I say thanks to the bus driver, (who replies with a grunt, the symbol of our wondrous relationship) Meili’s already at the entrance, wow-ing and pointing at all the water features and statues.

At first I wasn’t really sure why I wanted to go to the river park so much with her, but now that I think about it, it was always a place where people from around here recalled their childhood memories.

Maybe it wasn’t too late to create memories for us too?

“Uwahh, it’s so pretty here! I feel like I could write lyrics here all day…” she sits on one of the nearby benches, stretching out her legs and giggling airily.

“Hold that thought. I’ll be right back.”

Meili nods with a smile and I take the opportunity to rush off, taking a minute to reach the bike stand and another five to figure out how to operate the rental machine, but it works out eventually, and by the time I arrive back to her she’s already got a notepad in hand, scribbling down what I’m sure are soon-to-be masterpieces.

“Ta-dah!”

She looks up quickly, only to meet me with dangerously widened eyes and raised eyebrows.

“We’re…going bike riding?” she finally manages to breathe out.

“Yes…? You don’t have some sort of phobia or anything, do you?”

“No, no, it’s just…I don’t know how to ride one.”

“You don’t?”

“No one ever taught me.”

I can’t help but gasp at this, because well, isn’t learning to ride a bike one of the milestones of childhood? Even though my parents were constantly busy with business while I was a kid, they still took time out to teach me, and I ended up taking time off school to go home to teach Sehunnie.

Was it different where Meili came from?

Aish, there’s still so much I don’t know about her…

“I’ll teach you!”

…But she’ll tell me eventually right?

 

“Kai, I swear, if you let go, I’m never making you waffles again.”

I laugh, tightening my grip on her saddle.

“Okay, I won’t let go.”

“…Liar.”

I throw my hands up in exasperation, making her gasp slightly at the sudden loss of balance.

“How are you supposed to learn if I don’t let go?”

“It’s better than dying here!” she flicks her head around to face me with hard eyes.

“People have died from learning to ride a bike?”

“I don’t know…but could you please not let go? Just while I get used to it…”

“…Fine.”

 

It takes a good three and a half hours before she finally gets the confidence to ask me to let go of the saddle, but we’ve been laughing the whole way, so I don’t really mind. In fact, the whole experience has been some of the best hours of my life.

“Don’t worry about anything okay? I’ll be right beside you, so if you lose balance I’ll grab the bike straight away.”

“Mmhmm…” she starts pedalling slowly, but soon the confidence builds and the most beautiful smile crosses her face, picking up the speed and laughing as the wind tickles her cheeks.

“Kai! I’m doing it!” she almost squeals in excitement.

“I know, you’re doing great!” I settle into a jog beside her, feeling a sudden rush of pride.

“Just make sure to watch out for the big stone over there.”

“What stone?” she asks, slightly distracted.

“The one on your left.”

“I don’t see- WAH!”

Brakes screech against concrete and the wheels cave, and suddenly I feel myself lunging to the right, trying my best to break Meili’s fall. She manages to fall on my torso successfully and I let out a sigh of relief, almost wanting to laugh at how I should have expected this situation.

“Next time, we’re riding a tandem,” I breathe with a laugh.

She opens her eyes slowly at this, eyes previously squeezed tightly shut.

It suddenly hits me how close we are.

Her legs are tangled with mine against the denim of my jeans, her breath spreading slowly across my cheeks, even and warm.

But her eyes are tantalising. They’re so close, and at this distance I can suddenly make out features I’ve never seen before, flecks of gold and green spreading out from her irises.

Do you even realise how beautiful you are?

I want to reach out, to trace her cheeks, her jaw, to touch the perfection in front me.

Is it still wrong to ask you to be mine?

It takes a while to process that she’s already gotten off of me, to process the words she’s speaking and the direction her finger’s pointing in.

But thankfully the sharp pain in my forearm provides a clear hint, the worried pout on her lips.

“I’m so sorry! This is all my fault!”

“No it’s not, it was a simple accident, don’t worry about it,” I examine the inside of my forearm, the skin broken from the impact with the cement.

“Is it okay if you wash it in the fountain? I have a first aid kit back home, but it might get infected on the way back,” she bites her lip in worry.

“I guess we might as well, the sun will going down in a little while anyway.”

It’s a pity, because I was looking forward to watching the sunset with her, but as long as we’re together, I guess it doesn’t really matter.

 

“I’m really, really, really, really sorry Kai…” she whimpers quietly as she wipes down the dried blood with a wet cloth, uneven sniffles here and there.

“Look, I said not to worry about it. It was an accident alright? An accident.”

I can’t help but relish in the fact that I’m actually in Meili’s room, getting distracted by the stacks of books collected in dustless corners and splashes of pink on the white walls from paint samples.

“Ah!” I wince, not expected the sudden sting of rubbing alcohol.

“I’m really, really sorry!” she winces too, probably feeling more of the pain than I do.

Still she does a decent job a wrapping the wound, her eyebrows drawn in concentration as she focuses on tying the bandage tightly.

I can’t help but feel extremely lucky at the sight.

“Thanks for this,” I smile and flex my wrist in an attempt to prove that everything’s perfectly fine; “get some proper sleep now alright? It’s getting late.”

She nods and waves; about to speak when suddenly there’s a startling crack outside, a stark flash of lighting filling the bleakness of the night sky for a second before it calms again, temporary peace controlling the sky once more.

Meili’s eyes widen and she involuntarily shivers, pulling pyjama-sleeve clad hands against her ears and withdrawing her knees against her chest.

“K-kai-“

“Ssh, I know…”

I slowly crawl onto the bed beside her, gently wrapping my arms around her, because I can never forget these times, the times where she’s most breakable, the times she’s more fragile than glass.

“I’ll won’t leave you.”

 


@ YourObsessionSuju: I have no idea how your lost sibling ended up on the other side of the world, but heck okay! I'VE FINALLY FOUND YOU LONG LOST SIBLING! TT.TT *dramatic music* haha fighting!~ xD

@ Coralie_X_SHINee: Ah I see, even though it sounds like a lot of work, I'm glad you're having fun! Fighting! >:D 
What the- .....20 teasers? O.o Have they started already? lol it feels like the EXO teaser period all over again xD All the feels..OTL I hope they're as epic though! Okay, I seriously need to find time to watch that drama!! OTL ......I think I can free up the Christmas holidays xDD Haha, thank you!~~ That's right, him, Zelo and Yongguk are all siblings here ^^

@ Priscy123: Dude I want to cry you're so nice TT.TT Thank you so much!! I want to hug you! >.< *cough* Haha, I think I've just always wanted to write about a light and refreshing relationship, and then this ended up as a product of it all xD Thank you so much for liking my story! I hope you continue to enjoy reading ^^

Hello everyone!
Okay first off let me apologise again...this chapter would have been up earlier, but I was away from home for a while, and then all these assignments are piling up and dude all this pressure cannot be good for my health TT.TT But I'm sooo happy to finally get back to writing, even though I don't really know when I'll be able to get the next chapter up, but I'll still try my best!! Because this is one of my favourite things to do with my freetime, heheh xD
Alright, Ima head to sleep now, I'll see you guys in the next chapter ^^
Bye bye and thank you guys for everything ^^