Final

Only For Today

When you love someone, there are three things you need to learn. One, how to love them unconditionally, despite everything. Two, how to let them go when they realize that you weren't the one for them. And three, how to give them up when you know that they're that one person that you wish would love you, but they can't love you back.

We entered the ferris wheel and waited patiently for the ride to begin. I sat on one side and Daehyun sat across from me. Another silence came about us, but this time, it felt different, heavy even. As if there was something we both wanted to tell each other, but held back from doing so. But that's probably just me hallucinating. A sudden movement occured which signaled the start of the ride and I turned my eyes to the window, trying to avoid the awkwardness.

He did the same, staring at the breath-taking sight before us. The lights from the amusement park decorated the place in a nice kind of way. From the corner of my eye, I saw him put a hand under his chin, and his eyes slightly scrunched in confusion.

"Hey, Youngjae?" he asked me, breaking the silence. I made a noise, signaling I heard his question, waiting for him to carry on.

"Do you belive in love?"

"Yes."

"Do you believe in forever?"

"No. I've stopped believing in a forever that doesn't exist," I muttered, slightly feeling down.

With my answer, he turned his head to face me, but I didn't do the same. I merely stared at the view below us as the ferris wheel got higher, trying my best to hide my sad expression.

"What do you mean by that? You believe in love yet you don't believe in forever?"

"People shouldn't promise to love each other forever. Most of them don't even fulfill their promises. Forever is a crazy thing to believe in. I don't think anyone can love another person for that long without getting tired of them. Love is love. Forever just doesn't fit into that picture," I answered truthfully, still not breaking my gaze from the window. "Why're you asking, Daehyun?"

He ignored my question and kept talking. "How can you not believe in forever? So you think that everyone fails to love each other for eternity?" he asked, slightly bewildered. "Fine then, tell me the reason why you believe in love."

"Because we were born to love. Whether it be one-sided or  when both people love each other, you can't deny that it's love. Love is something we can't control, it's practically impossible. People are weak when it comes to love. They go crazy, they do crazy things, and during the way, they slowly change. Either for the better or worse. It's hard not to believe in it, even if you would like not to." I took a breath and finally decided to look away from the window and to look at him. "What do you think about forever and love?"

"I belive in both. With love, I believe you only love once in your life. If you happen to 'fall out of love' with that person, then I don't believe that what you felt was true. And about forever, it does exist. Haven't you seen those old people who are holding hands, who you can tell love each other unconditionally? They've loved each other for so long, that I don't doubt that they could love each other forever. And that's reason enough for me."

By the time he finished talking, the ride had almost reached the ground. I started talking once more. I leaned forward, my elbows resting on my knees and my hands holding up my face. He did the same, and our faces were so close that I could feel his soft breathing tickling my nose. I focused my eyes on the floor, feeling suffocated by his stare and wanting to resist the temptation of kissing him right there.

"Daehyun, when you love someone, there are three things you need to learn." His dark eyes bore into mine and I could tell he was urging me to continue. I took a small breath and complied. "One, how to love them unconditionally, despite everything. Two, how to let them go when they realize that you weren't the one for them. And three, how to give them up when you know that they're that one person that you wish would love you, but they can't love you back."

He kept quiet for a while. "That isn't true," I was startled by his answer and my eyes flickered upward to meet his.

"It is. There are times where people have to give up the person they love, but that doesn't mean that they won't stop loving them," he bit his lip slightly, and before I could even stop myself, I pressed my lips against his soft ones. I felt a spark when our lips met, and for a second, I thought that maybe he felt the same as me. Maybe he loved me too. But my hope was crushed and a lump formed in my throat when I saw his face. His eyes were wide and I regretted what I did at that moment. He pushed me away slightly, and I knew. I retracted from the kiss and stared frantically at his shocked eyes. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." The ride stopped and the doors opened. I took this as my chance and ran. I ran as far away as I could, not wanting to face the reality of what I just did. And the friendship I just ruined.

"Youngjae! Youngjae!" I heard him call out, but I ignored him, instead jumping into the first taxi once I made it back to where we started, the entrance.

"Youngjae-hyung? What are you-"

"Jongup, I'll talk to you later. For now, please just bring me home," I begged, my mind still trying to piece together what I did. I ruined it. Everything we had, from our memories to our friendship, I ruined it. What the hell did I do? With one kiss, I've sent it all crumbling to pieces.

He nodded his head and continued driving. Moments later my phone started ringing, I dropped the call and turned it off. In half an hour, I made it home, I walked slowly to my front door, taking out my keys. I fumbled with them for a bit before managing to open the door, to be greeted by Himchan-hyung.

"Hey, I made you some food thinking-" he turned around, and almost dropped the pan of fried rice he was holding with his left hand. Quickly, he put down the things on the stove and turned it off. In the blink of an eye, he was standing in front of me with his arms wrapped around me. "Hey, what happened?"

"I lost control of my feelings and kissed him. I kissed him, hyung! Now he hates me! Everything's ruined now, after I carefully tried to protect everything! Even after I tried so hard to make things work, I did the opposite!" I cried into his chest, with him softly patting my head. I don't know when I did, but before I knew it, I fell asleep.

This morning, I woke up from my alarm clock and sat up from my bed. Reliving the memories of yesterday, I hit myself in the head repeatedly, angry at myself for slipping up.

"I'm so stupid!" I cried over and over. Strong hands restricted my motion and I turned to see Himchan-hyung.

"Youngjae, stop. What's done is done, we can't fix it. Now come on, your flight is in an hour, and we need to get you there."

Slowly, I got off the bed and got ready. Later, when I finished, Himchan-hyung grabbed one of my luggages while I grabbed the other, and we loaded it into his car.

"By the way, he came here last night. Daehyun. He asked if you were home. I told him you weren't so he left." I nodded my head, thankful he didn't let Daehyun in. The car ride was silent, but once we reached the airport, I could tell that Himchan-hyung was trying his best not to cry. He walked me to my gate after I finished with check-in. He kept blinking rapidly, but that only made things worse when his eyes started to brim with tears.

"Hyung, don't cry."

"I-I'm not cryi-" he broke into tears and his shoulders heaved. I gave a small smile as I went over to him and hugged him as tightly as I could, willing myself not to cry as well. "I-I'm g-going to miss you so much," he hiccuped. I rubbed his back gently, in an effort to comfort him.

"I know. I'll miss you too, hyung. I'll miss all of you. I'm thankful for you all, I'm so happy you came into my life. I'm sorry for doing this."

He stopped hugging me and instead held me at arms lenght. His face was tear-staind and his cheeks were red and blotchy.

"You better call us when you get there, okay?! Make sure to eat properly, don't study too hard! Rest when you need to, and when you're sick go to the hospital! Do your laundry weekly, make sure to wash your sheets every two weeks! Ramen is not considered a filling meal and neither is fast food. Talk to us often with that laptop of yours, you got that?! If you don't, we'll come to there and ambush you, do you understand?!" he hiccuped in between sobs. I nodded his head and gave him once last hug.

"Flight G238 leaving for Albany, New York is now boarding."

"I will hyung. Tell the others I'll miss them too, okay? I'm going now, don't be too sad without me. Love you, hyung. Tell all of them that too for me, okay? Bye hyung," he reluctantly let go of me and I turned to walk away, heading to my boarding place. I looked to see him waving frantically, and I waved back. I went to the lady and handed her my passport and ticket. When she gave my passport back, I was ready to enter the tunnel that led to the plane.

"Youngjae! Youngjae!"

I heard a familiar voice calling out my name. His voice. And I smirked to myself, thinking I was crazy. In the end I decided to ignore the voice, and dismissed it as another hallucination. I stopped myself from turning around. Everything became nothing now, and it was high time for me to resign myself back to the painful reality. Best friends is all we'll ever be. And I was sure of another thing too.

I didn't need another false hope to be diminished.


 

-End-

So that is the end of my fanfic! Sorry if it isn't that good! I tried my best thought! I hope you all comment on what you think about it! Thank you all so much for taking the time to read it!!!!!