Chapter 5

Hot and Cold

 

The teacher was writing something on the board when Taegoon throws a crumpled paper on Hara’s desk.

 

‘Do I look like I’m a garbage can or even a collector?’ she thought. She opened the crumpled paper and something was written on it.

 

“Be responsible. We’re not yet done. - you know who I am - “

 

------------------------------

 

[-Hara’s pov-]

 

When I finished reading it, I began to have Goosebumps. He’s really scary. 

 

“Aish. Right.” As I placed both hands on my face feeling frustrated.

 

I just replied and wrote:

 

‘Oh, don’t worry, I won’t runaway like what you’re thinking.’

 

Then I throw it back to him.

 

“Ms. Gu Hara, what are you doing?”

 

I was alarmed by our teacher’s voice. I think she saw me throwing the crumpled paper to Taegoon.

 

“I can expla—“

 

“Detention after class.”

 

“But—“

 

“Don’t make excuses. I saw you throwing that crumpled paper to your seatmate. You’re in detention after class, are we clear here?”

 

“Yes, ma’am...” I answered calmly since I don’t have a choice. She won’t let me explain anyway.

 

What pissed me the most is this guy beside me, who’s at fault why I’m gonna go detention after class, is smirking at me.

 

“Be cautious next time, confident girl.” He was still smirking at me and I just rolled my eyes ignoring him. Tss. I so hate him! Curse you Kim Taegoon! Grrr..

 

So after our last subject in the afternoon, I went to the principal’s office. She said that she will be right back after an hour because she’ll have a meeting. I just closed my eyes and leaned my back on the wall as I was sitting on the couch when a teacher asked me to arrange some files for her. I just did her request because I’m afraid that my detention will be extended if I don’t.

 

An hour later, the principal went back and allowed me to go home.

 

Yipee!! Finally!! I happily went out of the office as I saw a figure leaning towards the wall. He didn’t notice me so I just walk my way out quietly while covering my face with one hand. But then...

 

“Running away huh?”

 

Aish! Why am I always caught? I just stood up like nothing happened and faced him confidently.

 

“Oh. Sorry, I didn’t notice you back there.”

 

“Oh?”

 

He leaned towards me and whispered. “Sorry but that excuse is not effective on me.”

 

He’s making me all messed up. Earlier, he said “Be responsible. We’re not done yet.” Now, he caught me on my tricks and says it’s not effective on him. Well, I think he’s the type of guy who won’t fall to tricks easily.

 

“Fine! So, what’s up doc?”

 

He just looked at me while lifting his left brow.

 

“You look so stupid on that sentence. Don’t watch too much cartoons or your brain will go crazy. Like what happened just now.”

 

“What the?! Yah! Don’t tell me on what to do!”

 

“Okay. Okay. Stop yelling already. We still have to go somewhere.” He said as he started walking and I just followed him.

 

“Huh? To where?”

 

“Quit asking, okay? Or I’ll eat you up. It’s your fault why I’m hungry right now.”

 

Oh God. He’s so weird.

 

“What? You’re really crazy. Besides, who told you to wait for me?” I complained.

 

“Well, I thought you might runaway so I just make sure.” He answered in a smart tone.

 

“Aish. Shut up.”

 

“Tss. Stop complaining and walk faster, will you?”

 

We crossed the street and went to Starbucks which was just near our school.

 

We went in and ordered first before sitting in an empty table.

 

“I’ll have one maple coffee and two slices of chocolate cake.” He said then looked at me to take my order too.

 

“Uhm, I’ll just have a coffee latte shake.”

 

After paying, we head to an empty table and sit while waiting for our order. Not long enough, our orders were served and I immediately took a sip on my coffee latte shake. Yum!

 

I noticed he had two slices of cake on his plate. I was staring at it ‘cause it looks so delicious. He noticed that I was looking at his plate and he immediately moved it close to him.

 

“Stop staring at my cake. I’ll never give you even a bite.”

 

“God, you’re so greedy.” as I pouted. He’s so childish for Pete’s sake it’s just food.

 

As we were eating, I noticed two people entering Starbucks. It was a guy and a girl. The guy was holding her hand as they entered and sit next to our table.

 

The girl looked at our direction and I immediately looked at my drink.

 

“Taegoon?”

 

He then turned his head on his right and looked at her.

 

“Oh…Tiffany.”

 

I noticed his expression changed into a serious one. Then he looked at the guy.

 

“I see you two are finally together, Siwon” He added. Uh Oh, I smell something bad here.

 

“Dude, I’m really sorry. We didn’t mean to betray you.” The guy said.

 

“Don’t apologize anymore. I can’t do anything anyway. My best friend and my girlfriend, I mean, ex-girlfriend having some special moments at my back. How dare you tell me you didn’t mean it? Besides, she chose you over me.”

 

I am really out of place right now. I want to get out but I can’t just walk out from here. He’s already in a bad mood and I don’t want to add up. All I can do there was to listen to their conversation though it’s not my habit to do those things.

 

“Good luck. I hope you two will be happy.” He suddenly stands up and walks out from the table we were seated. I stood up and bowed to them first before following him.

 

He walks so fast that when I got out from Starbucks, he was already about to cross the street. I immediately ran to him. I don’t know why I’m doing this it’s just that something in me wants to know what happened.

 

“Hey, wait up. Don’t leave me like that.”

 

He didn’t respond and just looked at me with a cold expression. He’s really not in the mood.

 

When he was about to cross the street, he suddenly held my wrist and walked fast towards his car.

 

He got in and I just went to the other side and got in too. He just got me more curious than before.

 

He drove off out of the campus and I just looked at him worriedly. Hey, why am I worried anyway? I think I’m already infected by his weirdness. Aish!

 

“Are you alright?”

 

“Do I look like?”

 

Bad move Hara, bad move. You shouldn’t have asked that kind of question. Stupid me.

 

“Oh, sorry.”

 

Then he stopped the car at the side of the street where you can see view of the beach. It’s really a beautiful view because of the sunset.

 

He went out the car and I went out too. I was just standing southeast of him. He just stares at the beach.

 

“Sorry about earlier.”

 

Somehow, I was surprised by his words. I can’t believe he’s saying sorry.

 

“Oh, that.”

 

He just keeps on staring at the beach. I just noticed his hand reaching for his face like his wiping something. Is he crying? Oh God, this is getting weirder. I see him as a strong person but I think it’s true that strong persons are the ones who are weak inside. Uhm, why am I being so deep in thought all of a sudden? I snapped out of it and spoke to him.

 

“Yah! Let me go home now.”

 

Then he turned his head towards me with an unknown expression.

 

“You haven’t done anything yet.” He said in a calm voice. I’m not used to it really. He’s like yelling or somewhat like commanding me when he talks to me.

 

“Aish, just let me go home. I think you should cool down first ‘cause you might let me do something weird all of a sudden and—“

 

My sentence was cut when he suddenly pulled me into his embrace.

 

“YAH! What are you doing?!”

 

“Calm down. I won’t do anything to you.” He paused and took a deep breath. “Can you console me for just a while?”

 

I was surprised by his request. But to think that I was there when he was having THAT conversation a while ago and putting my shoes on his, of course it hurts when your best friend and your girlfriend betrayed you.

 

“Uh…okay…just…calm yourself down..” I said calmly.

 

“..I’ll try.” He replied.

 

I just placed both of my hands around him extending to his back while tapping the other one. Oh God, this is so awkward. But I think I should comfort him for a while ‘because he needs it since he was going through to that kind of situation earlier.

 

After a few minutes, he let go of me.

 

I was surprised to see him smiling. Oh My God, I won’t deny that he looks really cute when he smiles. He’s like a complete different person right now. Does he have a personality disorder? Hmm, I wonder.

 

“For now, let me send you home.”

 

Hey, why did he suddenly become nice? Unbelievable.

 

“Uhm… okay.” I just answered him hesitantly.

 

We both returned to his car and he drove off. I guided him on the directions towards our house when he was already on the road. Not long enough we reached our house before it gets dark.

 

“Thanks.” I just bowed at him while making my way out when he suddenly grabbed my elbow and kissed me on the cheek. I don’t know but my heart was beating so fast at that time. I just swallowed my saliva and looked at him really surprised.

 

“W-what’s that?”

 

“I’m just repaying on what needs to be repaid.” Now, that was kinda deep.

 

“Oookkkaaayy. You’re really weird.” as I got out of his car and went inside our house.

 

I immediately went to my room and locked the door.

 

Oh God, did he just kiss me on the cheek?! Did he really embrace me?! And what was that fast-beating-of-my-heart stuff about?! He’s really driving me crazy!! Much weirder when I said he was cute when he smiles.

 

Am I starting to like him?! NO WAY! Anyone but not him!

 

[-End of Hara’s pov-]

 

-------------------------------------