Unexpected

Heist Society

 

The weird weather was getting on Tao's nerves. One minute the whole earth was on fire and the next minute his nose was going to fall off from being frostbitten. Or maybe it wasn't the weather bothering Tao. Maybe it was the fact that this mission was now utterly impossible. Or maybe it was the fact that he failed. Failure means no pride. Failure means disappointment from those counting on you. Tao shook the snow out of his bangs and squinted, making him look more unapproachable than his normal self. (If that was even possible unless he was doing aegyo) He was stalking off to nowhere. After meeting Liang, everyone's hopes sunk. The Korean air really did not make Tao comfortable so he and Kris went back to China. Kris is now in the hotel room trying to figure what they should do while Tao.. Was just walking. The strong, bitter smell of cigarette smoke filled his nose. The smoke was mixed with the smell of very expensive British whiskey. The types that one from the broken down city he was walking through could afford. 
"Something's weird.." Tao held his breath and stopped in his tracks. He scanned the area in front of him. 
The smell of smoke and whiskey grew stronger and stronger and seemed as if it were coming from behind him. Once the smell was near his vicinity he could pick up another scent. It was cologne, the same exact type that his father uses. 
Tao hesitantly planted his right foot behind him and in a swift rotation on the heels of his feet, he turned around.
Approaching him on the lane closest to the sidewalk as possible was a black mercedes. It stuck out like a sore thumb between all of the run down vans with chipped paint jobs and the Toyotas sharing the same road.
The car slowed once it was a couple feet away from Tao and came to a complete stop right beside him. Tao turned to face the tinted passenger window that was being rolled down.
Grey smoke drifted out from the window and obstructed Tao's view of the person inside the car.
"Why, I didn't expect to see you here." The voice drawled. The person was slightly drunk, but Tao knew exactly who the person was.
"Hello. Arturo." Tao glared at the smoke beginning to fade away slowly
--
"The weather is awful isn't it?" Arturo exhaled a puff of smoke. The smoke didn't disappear but rather drifted around the enclosed space in the car, causing the back of the car to seem like a foggy morning. "Drink?" he nudged the silent Tao with the bottom of a wine glass half filled with whiskey.
Tao shook his head and glared at Arturo's face. Or rather the back of his bald head since Arturo turned to put the glass in the cup holder.
"How is the mission coming along?" Tao caught the slight curve of the side of Arturo's mouth which lasted for a millisecond. It was as if he knew that they already failed. 
Tao growled while Arturo cackled or coughed or choked, Tao couldn't tell. "Security is such a pain in the these days." Arturo's voiced cracked and he downed the glass that was offered to Tao before. "The economy is so bad. People are lucky that there are people like me who are willing to invest money into the economy." 
Tao rolled his eyes. "Do you have anything you need to tell me? Because I'm busy."
"Busy walking aimlessly on the streets while pondering about your place in the universe?" Arturo chuckled. "Your place is at home, but your father's place is in jail where he belongs for stealing my paintings." 
Tao growled once again. Containing his anger before he crushes Arturo's plastic nose with his knuckles.
"Now to get to the point, you are so quiet it is quite annoying." Arturo poured himself another glass and swished the alcohol around in circles. "You need help and I am here to offer my services."
Tao let out a snort. "Help? Since when has that word ever been in your vocabulary? The last time you 'helped' I lost my mom." 
"Tragic accident, sorry." Arturo scrunched his nose. "Anyways. I am seriously putting my offer on the table. If you won't take it no problem! For you. But for your father.. Let's just say both of your parental units will be gone from your life."
Tao shifted in the black leather seat. He let out a breath before inhaling smoke and whiskey. I shouldn't have done that.. He choked a little before clearing his throat. "Fine, but first tell me how you will help then I will come to a final decision."
Arturo chuckled and swung his cup around as if he were a maestro directing a whole orchestra. "Let's just say I am acquaintances with the person who would most certainly have the blueprints for the alarm."