Chapter 4

Cruelly Fated

 

Jin Ae’s point of view:

Dear Diary,

            Can you believe 2 months have already passed by so quickly..?  I don’t think I can hold on much longer with this… Will I still live to see the first snow fall of the year?  I really want to see the first snow fall with Chan Yeol because the day he asked me out was the day the first snow of the year fell. I hope that I make it to that day to see the first snow fall of the year with him. Actually No. I want to be able to see every first snow fall with him until we grow old together... But I know that it will take a miracle for that to happen.

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

“Jin Ae-ssi..? It’s time for your treatment.” Eunah the kind nurse who was assigned to take care of me called from behind me.

“Oh, Eunah-ssi… I almost  forgot..” I smiled and chuckled weakly as she helped me onto the wheel chair and brought me inside for the treatment.

After the treatment, I found Chan Yeol sitting at the couch waiting for me.

“Chan Yeol oppa!” I said with a bright smile as Eunah chuckled from behind.

“You should be here every minute of every day, Chan Yeol-ssi; whenever she sees you, the glow and color on her pale face come back. Maybe seeing you is better than what the treatment can do.” Eunah said in a teasing manner.

Chan Yeol oppa laughed and scratched the back of his head with a huge grin plastered on his face while I was staring at my feet to hide the fact that I was blushing.

Eunah noticed this and she chuckled some more before leaving to attend to another patient.

Chan Yeol helped me onto my bed still with a smile plastered on his face; Eunah-ssi was right Chan Yeol oppa did give me a lot of strength; he and my parents did.

“Oppa~! The doctor said that my condition is getting better and he said that I can go out tomorrow!” I told him excitedly as he smiled some more.

“Really?! Wow! That’s great! Where shall we go?” He asked excitedly.

“Hmmm…. We should first go to pray at the chapel and then go to the Han River and eat.” I said with a huge grin plastered on my face.

“Arasso. We’ll do that then.” He said as he chuckled and pulled me in for a hug. “Continue to get better, neh Jin Ae-ya?” He continued and hugged me tighter.

“I will continue to keep fighting, oppa. I promise I won’t back down without a fight.” I assured him as I too hugged him tighter.

 

Narrator’s point of view:

The next day came and you showered and got dressed into this

 

You heard a knock on the door and you hurried over to open it and welcome the smiling Chan Yeol.

“Good morning, are you ready?” He asked as he greeted you with a smile.

“Good morning and almost, I just forgot my ring in the bathroom.  Why don’t you come in first?” You greeted back with a smile.

Just as you requested, you and Chan Yeol headed to the chapel first to say a little prayer.

After you said your little prayer, you and Chan Yeol proceeded to your date.  The two of you ate happily and walked hand in hand together by the Han River.

On the way back to the hospital, you started suddenly feeling nauseated but you kept quiet about it and just kept smiling.

*Just one more stop and we’re at the hospital… I can make it.* You thought.

You looked at Chan Yeol who was looking around and took his hand in yours.  He looked at you and smiled gently squeezing your hand as he laced his fingers with yours.  You couldn’t help but smile back at him and continue looking out the window.

As soon as the bus reached your stop, you tried to get up but almost fell if Chan Yeol weren’t there to catch you.

“Are you okay?” He asked and looked at you worriedly.

“Yes, I’m alright… It must have been because of the bus’ sudden halt that I lost my balance.” You assured him even though you know that that wasn’t exactly the case.  Chan Yeol looked at you suspiciously but then did not question you anymore and smiled while he helped you get down the bus.

As soon as you entered the hospital your head was spinning and your vision suddenly turned black.  It was as if someone had turn of the lights because you could still hear Chan Yeol calling your name in panic and people rushing towards you.  But then that too, started fading away.  You suddenly felt numb and cold, all the warmth even from the coat, scarf, and hat were providing was gone.  You couldn’t move your body either… You were just in a black room cold and unable to control your own body.