Chapter 3

Cruelly Fated

 

Jin Ae’s point of view:

I stared at the unappetizing hospital food… It wasn’t really that bad but being here for 2 months, I’m getting tired of the food they serve…

“What’s wrong?  Why aren’t you eating?  Are you okay?” Chan Yeol asked me with a worried expression.

“I’m alright… It’s just that… I’m not in the mood to eat Daenjang jjigae right now…” I told him.

“Well, is there anything you’d want to eat?  I could go out and buy you some food.”

I grinned at my caring boyfriend. “You know, you should be telling me that I should eat the food here because they prepared it wholeheartedly…” I joked as I playfully nudged him.

He chuckled and shook his head. “It would be nice if you ate even just a little bit of it… But I’ll buy you food if you want.” He smiled.

“Do I have to????? –sighs- Okay… Uhm… Well… It’s been so long since I had some dukbokki and kimbap….” I said as I smiled back at him.

He chuckled and shook his head again as he stood up and patted my head. “I’ll be right back then.”

“Be careful!” I told him as he made his way out the door.

“Neh umma!” He answered back in a teasing tone.

“Ya!” I pouted as he chuckled at my reaction.

“I’ll be right back, Jin Ae-ya.”

“Arasso~! Saranghae!”

“Nado.” He answered with a smile and left.

“Aigoooo…. He thinks he’s doing a great job hiding it but he’s not….” I sighed to myself as I started to eat the vegetable stew the nurse gave me while waiting for Chan Yeol.

I’m still quite surprised that I am Park Chan Yeol’s girlfriend.  The cold-hearted ‘prince’ –….

“Pfffttt~! Hahahaha! ‘Prince.’  His fan girls are really funny.” I chuckled and shook my head.

The school’s cold-hearted prince as his fan girls like to call him.  But he wasn’t cold hearted at all.  People just didn’t know what he went through before, that’s why they label him as that.  Chan Yeol is really kind and caring; he just didn’t know how to show it sometimes.  Once you get close to him, you’ll see that he is actually a good person, one who cares for the people he loves.  I’m quite upset about how misunderstood he is.

Flashback:

I woke up the next day to an unfamiliar room.  I looked around and I saw my mom who fell asleep on the couch…

“What am I doing at a hospital?” I thought out loud and that caused my mom to wake up.

“Jin Ae-ya… You’re awake.” My mom smiled at me as she got up.

“Umma, what happened? Why am I here?” I asked my mom

“You fainted during your overtime practices yesterday… I told you not to stay out late, aigoo you stubborn girl.” My mom said in a very concerned voice.

“Jeseonghamnida umma…” I said as I bowed my head in shame.

“Aigoo, it’s nothing to worry about, Jin Ae-ya… Are you hungry?”

I nodded. “Neh umma… Wait…. What time is it?!” I asked starting to panic as I remembered that today was a school day.

“It’s 9:30 am, dear… Why?” My mom said as she started heating up some porridge in the microwave for me.

“Oh my gosh! I AM LATE!” I yelled as I started to panic

“Ya, ya! Jin Ae-ya… You can’t go to school, the doctor said you need your rest. The school knows what happened and someone will come to give you the notes and homework you’ll have for the day.  For now, just relax and regain your strength, okay?”

“But.. I.. Practice?”

“No buts, dear.  Your health is more important. Besides, didn’t you say that you already know the routine by heart?” My mom said as she got the porridge from the microwave and set it down on the table attached to my bed.

“I guess…” I sighed. “But what am I going to do here all day?” I whined.

“You need to rest, Jin Ae. I brought you some books to read so you won’t get bored.”

“Okay…” I sighed once more.

So I ate my breakfast half sulking when my mom told me that she was going to go to work and will be back later.  After breakfast, I looked to see what books my mom brought me to read.

“Hmm… Ooooh! Romeo and Juliet!” I exclaimed excitedly and immediately started to read it.

After a while, I stopped reading because the tragic story was making me cry.

“Sniff… sniff…. Aigooo, why must fate be cruel to those two people?” I said as I lay back down and slowly drifted off to sleep….

Just then, I woke up to the sound of someone opening the door.  My eyes fluttered open and there he was…

“… May I help you..?” I asked him with a puzzled look.  He said nothing and made his way towards me.

“… Y-ya… D-don’t come any closer! Who are you? Why are you here? What are you gonna do–?”

“Do you want the notes and homework or not?” He asked in low annoyed tone.

“O-oh….. Uh… Thank you…” I muttered as I looked away to hide the embarrassed blush that spread across my cheeks..

“Tsk.. Wasn’t it enough that I brought you here?” He muttered almost inaudibly.

“You were the one who brought me here?!” I questioned him in a surprised tone.

“Yes. Now would you please hurry up and take the notes and homework because I have practice to attend to.” He coldly muttered as he handed me the notes and homework for the day.

“Oh.. Uh yes… Uhmm thanks again…?”

“Chan Yeol.” He said flatly with the same cold expression and left without looking back.

I sighed and looked at the work for today. “He didn’t have to be so cold…” I pouted as I started to work on the assignments.

I stayed at the hospital for 3 more days with Chan Yeol coming to bring me the work that was assigned for the day.

I went back to school the next Monday in hopes of seeing Chan Yeol since I hadn’t properly thanked him for bringing me all the assigned works while I was away from school.  The day ended fast and I only caught a glimpse of Chan Yeol but he disappeared quickly.  I wandered through the school yard and saw a hunched figure by the huge tree.  I approached the hunched figure, I slowly recognized that it was Chan Yeol; he was feeding a stray cat.  I couldn’t help but smile at the scene until of course he sensed my presence.

“I do not appreciate you stalking me.” He said without even turning to look at me.

“Stalking..? Aniya. I’m not stalking you.” I said with a pout and a hint of annoyance within my tone.

“Then why are you here?” He asked and turned to look at me with the same cold expression he had in the hospital.

I sighed at this guy’s emotionless personality “I just wanted to give you these as a ‘thank you’ for bringing me the homework and notes for 3 days… It must have tired you out so much and also distracted you from your daily routine… So here, I hope you like them. I baked them myself.” I said as I placed the neatly wrapped jar of cookies into his hand. “I’m going~! Have a nice day, Chan Yeol-ssi.” I said as I waved and smiled at him.

After that, slowly but surely, Chan Yeol and I became very good friends… Until the day he confessed to me of course.

-End of flashback-

“Ya~! Are you gonna just daydream all day?” A voice said as I felt someone nudge me.

“Omo-ya! Aigoo… You scared me, oppa!” I whined as he ruffled my hair and set put the food he bought on the table.

“Stop whining and let’s eat~!” He said with a smile as he pinched my nose.

How I wish this would last forever….