Candy Hearts

Candy Hearts

 

 

Baekhyun, what happened?
Was it something I said?
Was it something my mother said?
Can you please reply?
I’m worried, please reply.
I can’t sleep…are you okay?
Please reply.
I’m sorry, Baekhyun
I’m really sorry, can we talk? I’ll listen really well.
What did I do wrong?
Please, just say something.

Baekhyun read through Chanyeol’s texts like clockwork throughout the night. As each text piled up, the more guilty and ashamed he felt. What was he supposed to say? That he thought he might not deserve Chanyeol? That Chanyeol could do better without him? It sounded ridiculous even to him, but with such feelings clouding your thoughts, Baekhyun found it hard to be a rational thinker. He just wanted what was best for Chanyeol. And according to Chanyeol’s mother, Baekhyun didn’t fall under that category.  

The alarm on his bedside table went off and signaled Baekhyun to get ready for work. After a sleepless night, he rolled out of bed and tried to make himself look decent. After eating bland cereal, he headed off to work.

He was in for a surprise when he arrived to the shop because there, by the door, was a very pissed looking Kris.

“Can I just say you are one of the stupidest person I’ve ever met?” Kris said crossing his arms and glaring down at Baekhyun. Baekhyun frowned up at Kris but didn’t give him a reply. He looked away and started to fish for the shop’s keys in his pockets. He was on opening duty that morning.

“Not talking, huh? You have a lot of nerve.” Kris hissed. Baekhyun felt a hand grip onto his shoulder and turned him around. One forceful shove and Baekhyun's back was slammed into the door.

“What the heck man?!” Baekhyun shouted at Kris, starting to get angry. Like he needed Kris to come and reprimand him.

“No, what the heck’s with you! How could you just run out like that yesterday? Does Chanyeol mean nothing to you?” Kris shoved Baekhyun once more.

“Mean nothing? He means the world to me-“

“Then why did you leave him hanging? Did you know he didn’t come back after you left? His parents had to do major damage control at the party. And when I got back to our apartment, I found him curled up in his bed, cradling his cellphone.”

The image seeped in through Baekhyun’s consciousness and his heart tightened. He exhaled sharply, “Could you leave? I need to open the shop.” He mumbled and turned to the door again. Kris quickly flipped him around.

“No, I’m not leaving until I figure out why you would do that to Chanyeol.”  Kris insisted, getting in Baekhyun’s face. Baekhyun in return shoved him back.

“You think I want to do this? You think I want to walk away from Chanyeol when I really only want to bring him close?”

“Then why don’t you? Why are you being such a coward?”

“I just... can’t do it. He doesn’t need me anyways.”

“Need you? Did you think he would have been able to face all those people last night if it weren’t for you?  As much as it pains me to say this, he does need you. He needs you a lot.”

Baekhyun let out a shaky sigh and directed his gaze to the left. He wanted to believe what Kris was telling him. He really did. “No, he doesn’t.” He mumbled.

“Yes, he does.” Kris insisted, “Don’t back down now.”

Something broke inside of Baekhyun, he was tired of getting scolded. “Okay, how about you just mind your own god damn business? It’s not like you’d understand how I feel.” Baekhyun hissed back.

“Oh yeah? Tell me, why won’t I understand?” Kris sent a condescending look to Baekhyun which made his fists clench at his side.

“You have everything and I have nothing to offer, that’s why.” Baekhyun bitterly replied, “I don’t want to be the reason why Chanyeol would miss out on any opportunities.” 

“You’re kidding, right? Don’t you think that’s for Chanyeol to decide?”

Baekhyun stared up at Kris and started gnawing away at his bottom lip. He couldn’t think of a decent reply.

“And if you think I have everything, you’re wrong.” Kris’ tone changed drastically, “There’s only one thing I’ve ever wanted and you have it. “

Baekhyun shot Kris a look of confusion. What did he have that Kris could possibly want?

“Chanyeol, you idiot. You have Chanyeol. I pushed my feelings aside and let you have him. And this is how you repay me? I thought you had some backbone. But, now that you’re being such a douche bag, I won’t hold back.” Kris then turned around and walked away from Baekhyun without further explanation.

Baekhyun stared after him for a while before unlocking the doors to the shop and entering it. He walked over to the break room and changed into his uniform.

I won’t hold back.

Baekhyun’s heart clenched every time those words rerun through his head. Isn’t that exactly what he wanted? Kris would be better for Chanyeol anyways, he should just let it happen.  No matter how much he didn’t want it to, he knew it was for the better. It was for Chanyeol.

Don’t you think that’s for Chanyeol to decide?

Chanyeol doesn’t know what’s best for him though.

Why are you being such a coward?

“…I am a coward, aren’t I?” Baekhyun whispered to himself as he swiped the floors later in the day.

“Baekhyun.”

“Baekhyun.”

“Baekhyun! Are you there?”

Baekhyun whipped his head over his shoulder and saw his manager, “Oh, sorry. What’s up?”

“Are you aware you’ve been cleaning that same spot for the past twenty minutes?” His manager said while raising an eyebrow. Baekhyun looked down and tilted his head. Had he really been cleaning that long? “Listen, you seem really out of it. How about you take the rest of the day off? It must be tough with whatever you’re going through because you’re never like this.”

“Uh, it’s okay-“

“Go home Baekhyun. I don’t want to pay a worker who can’t concentrate on the job.”  With that, the manager turned around and walked over to the shop's back room. Baekhyun sighed and put the broom away. He changed quickly into his day clothes and left the shop.

Before long, he arrived at his apartment and plopped down on his couch. He pulled out his phone and saw that he had one new text message. He took his shaky hand and tapped onto the new message.

Do you hate me?

Baekhyun gripped his phone tightly. No, no this is definitely not right. Before he could process what he was doing, he was calling Chanyeol.  The dial tone rung into his ears, every silence between the beeps seeming longer than the one before.

“Hi-“

“Chanyeol! I-”

“-you’ve reached Chanyeol’s voicemail. Please leave me a message. BEEP

Baekhyun’s mouth went dry and breathed heavily into the phone for a moment. “Ch-Chanyeol. Hi. Um, I don’t know what to say. I just…picked up the phone and dialed once I saw your last message. Listen, you’ve got it wrong. I don’t hate you, I could never hate you. I’m sorry for last night…I just…I don’t know. I felt really out of place and stuff like that. I was insecure and …God, I’m a grade A idiot, aren’t I? I, I don’t know what else to say besides that…Um, I love you. Shoot, can’t believe I said that. That wasn’t supposed to happen, ignore that. Actually no, I love you. I really do. But I get that you and me are different. I mean, your mother made it clear enough that we shouldn’t ...continue on like we did. I’m sorry if this bugs you, but I just wanted to let you know.  I don’t hate you, I love you and I want what’s best for you. Even if what's best for you isn’t me. Kay...bye.” And Baekhyun pressed the end button.

After a few seconds of realization, Baekhyun hurled his phone across the room. He screwed up big time now. Why did he confess his feelings? Chanyeol might feel more obliged to make it up to him or something.  He didn’t want that. He didn’t want Chanyeol to feel bad because of him.

Baekhyun curled up into a ball on the couch and tried to find comfort in his own body heat. Before long, he drifted into sleep.

After an hour, the doorbell rang and woke Baekhyun up. He uncurled his body and slowly dragged his feet to the door. He opened the door and saw that there was no one behind it. 

“Damn kids.” He groaned and turned around to enter his apartment when something caught his eye. A piece of paper was stuck onto his door. He ripped it off and read it aloud.

“Go to XX Park at 6. I still have something for you. Chanyeol.”

Baekhyun felt his heart race. He quickly checked his watch and saw he had 20 minutes to get there. After a few minutes of debating with himself, he ran back into his apartment. He went into his room and pulled out a new outfit to wear. He quickly changed and checked himself in the mirror. It’ll do, he thought.  He wanted to look good when he would be rejected, maybe that way he won’t feel as bad.

He hurried out of the apartment and made his way to the park. It wasn’t far from where he lived, but at the rate he was walking, he was going to be late (especially since he stopped a few times and second guessed if what he was doing was the best idea.). In the end, he decided he’ll face Chanyeol. He owed that much to him due to the night before.

Baekhyun finally reached the entrance of the park and was baffled when he saw a large sign with the words “Byun Baekhyun, that way!” And a huge arrow pointing to the right. He looked around at the passer-bys before following the sign's instruction. He walked a little and saw another sign. He made his way up to it and the sigh had a down arrow. “Eat and follow the hearts”. Baekhyun tilted his head and looked to the ground.  There on the grass was a small piece of paper with a candy heart on it.

He bent down and picked up the candy. UR KIND. He stared down at the candy and then to his surroundings. Further away in the grass was another piece of paper and candy heart. He ate the candy heart he held in his hand and moved toward the next one. #1 FAN.  He held back a smile and ate the heart again. He stood up and continued down what appeared to be a trail of candy hearts.  HEART OF GOLD. CHEER ME ON. MELT MY HEART. SWEET LOVE. NEW LOVE. START NOW. ILU. I LOVE YOU.

I LOVE YOU.

I LOVE YOU.

I LOVE YOU.

Baekhyun’s eyes were starting to tear up. What was Chanyeol doing? What was this for? Chanyeol shouldn’t get his hopes up like this.

The candy trail went around a tree and Baekhyun found Chanyeol sitting there with a candy  bouquet. Chanyeol heard him coming and stood up, gripping the bouquet tightly in his hand. Baekhyun stood at a distance, wondering what to do now.

Chanyeol stared at the ground and shuffled his feet nervously. “Do you get it now?” Chanyeol asked, lifting his head a little and met with Baekhyun’s teary eyes. His eyes widened in shock at Baekhyun’s distraught appearance. “O-Oh, I’m sorry! Did it upset you? I- I thought you would like this-“

“I love it. But I hate that you’re getting my hopes up like this.” Baekhyun sniffled and rubbed his irritated eyes. “You should just leave me alone a-and live the life you’re supposed to.”

“I don’t want to!” Chanyeol shouted, looking desperate. “I-I’m not the greatest with my words and I know it can get frustrating. But you…you make me want to change into someone better. You’re my strength Baekhyun. And I love you. So much. I never thought you would feel the same, I mean, I’m awkward and look weird and-”

“Idiot, I love that about you. I love everything about you really.”  Baekhyun laughed through his tears, the feeling of incredible happiness washing over him. Chanyeol was returning his feelings. He really was. “I just thought…you deserve someone better, someone of your…status.”

“You’re the only one I want.” Chanyeol took a step forward. “I need only you.” He reached up and wiped the tear marks off Baekhyun’s face.  Baekhyun lightly gripped the bottom of Chanyeol’s shirt, feeling as if he wasn't so stable with the rush of emotions flowing through his body.

“Are you sure?” Baekhyun asked, “Because I’m never going to let you go, you know.” Chanyeol in reply reached forward and pulled Baekhyun into his arms.

“I’ve never been so sure in my life.” Chanyeol whispered into his ear. Baekhyun shivered and Chanyeol backed away. “So, how were the candy hearts? Were they tasty?” He said while staring at Baekhyun’s lips.

Baekhyun smiled devilishly. “Why don’t you find out?” He said. Chanyeol looked away from Baekhyun's lips for a second to look into his eyes before hesitantly inching closer. Baekhyun decided he was taking too long and grabbed hold on the front of Chanyeol’s shirt and pulled him down so their lips could finally meet.

Chanyeol was an obviously inexperienced kisser, but he was a fast learner. Baekhyun ran his fingers up and caressed Chanyeol’s cheeks before burying them into his hair. Chanyeol moaned as a result and shuddered. Baekhyun pulled back abruptly when a thought struck him.

“Oh my god, what about your family? They’ll hate me for sure.” Baekhyun groaned. Chanyeol was still heavy lidded from the kiss. He pecked Baekhyun all over his face, as if trying to comfort him. “Stop that.” Baekhyun said and lightly thumped his hand against Chanyeol’s chest.

“No. Let them do what they want and let us do what we want.” Chanyeol grazed his lips against Baekhyun’s, making him flush.

“But-"

“Shh, let me taste you again.” Chanyeol pushed his lips against Baekhyun’s a little harder than before. Baekhyun pulled back a little by the force, but quickly retaliated.  Suddenly, something wet ran across his lips. Chanyeol began to expertly and on Baekhyun’s bottom lip. Baekhyun concluded that Chanyeol was a great intuitive kisser, cause god…the way he was gnawing on his bottom lip was making him weak in the knees.

After a minute, Chanyeol pulled away and knocked his forehead against Baekhyun’s.

“How was it?” Baekhyun asked, feeling a little breathless. Chanyeol smiled his giant smile and pecked Baekhyun on the forehead.

“You're the sweetest candy I’ve ever tasted.” 


 

GAHHH, is that enough fluffs? Me not sure. I hope you guys liked it. I feel like this update is a little messy, but relationships are messy aren't they? Especially between friends, yes? And another excuse: I'm sick. Like fever, vomiting. God, what am I doing on the computer? Totally passing out after this. 

Oh well. I tried. So yeah, I'm putting an epilogue up and wrapping up this story in the next update. So, some of you might be NOOOOOOOOOOOO, moreee. But that's all Imma do. Maybe I'll do a spinoff chapter, involving candy kink LOL. 

So, it's sad that it's ending soon. BUT, I have a remedy for some of you who are interested: A KAISOO storyyy <3 I posted the foreword up and will start it once this is completely done. 

Hook line: Trapped inside a cardboard box, Kyungsoo always feels at home. 

Likey? GO CHECK IT OUTTTT <3!!

Moving on~~

Oh.MY.GOD. WHERE DID ALL THESE SUBBIES COME FROM?Fdlnklfdskfns?!?!?! It's...so wonderful :'D Thank you everyone! Thank to all the commenters and all the people who stuck through it since the beginning and those who came in afterward. You're all so very amazing. I really appreciate it. /lecries

Special thanks to shieshiesae for the wonderful poster! It's so pretttyyyyy and cuteeee and amazinnnnngggg. <333333: Check it out in the foreword!!! DO IT!

Kay, leaving you guys with this and then BYEEE<3

I think moustaches are cool.