Snickers

Candy Hearts

 

The third time Baekhyun met Chanyeol was when he was heading home after finishing a shift. He was casually walking through the streets when he saw a frizzy head of hair stand out above the crowd. Realizing who it was, Baekhyun navigated his way through the busy crowd walking on the sidewalk until he was a few paces behind Chanyeol.

Baekhyun continued to observe him from behind. His massive height only seemed more evident through the pack of people. Despite his awkward proportions, his walk was fluid and he looked to be very focused on where he was going. At least, he did until something caught Chanyeol’s eye in a shop’s window.

Chanyeol came to a halt and backtracked in order to get a better view of whatever was in the window. Chanyeol’s lips slowly cracked opened and broke into his typical…grin of sorts and his eyes widened with evident joy. The pass-byers whose attention were directed to stopped giant that was Chanyeol, made sure to clearly avoid him after they saw his manic smile.

Chuckling, Baekhyun approached Chanyeol from behind and looked into the window. Inside was a pen filled of fluffy puppies.  “How cute!” Baekhyun squealed, completely ignoring how unmanly he may have sounded.

Unfortunately, Baekhyun seemed to have given Chanyeol the shock of his life because he leapt up in the air, accidently knocking himself into a sign that was standing outside the pet store. Unable to balance himself, Chanyeol fell over and took the sign with him.

Baekhyun watchedin horror as Chanyeol tumbled and immediately rushed over to his side, “Oh my-I’m sorry!” He looked over Chanyeol, trying to find any obvious signs of injury. “I didn’t mean to scare you!” 

Chanyeol groaned a little as he rolled over and sat up, wincing a little as he did. Baekhyun felt his guilt seep in further as he hesitated over what he should do next. Chanyeol's gaze finally landed on Baekhyun and he jumped back with surprise.

“I-It’s you.” Chanyeol stuttered out as he took in Baekhyun’s appearance, “Y-you look different.” He murmured lowly, but Baekhyun heard him.

He awkwardly laughed in return, “I do? It might be because I’m out of uniform.” Baekhyun’s smile flattened, “But enough about me. Are you okay? You took quite a fall. ”

“Ah, yeah! Yeah, I’m fine. Don’t worry about me!” Chanyeol exclaimed, waving his hands in protest.  Baekhyun begged to differ when he saw that the palms of Chanyeol’s hands were evidently scraped and bleeding.

“Liar, now lemme see your hands” Baekhyun pouted before he leaned forward to take Chanyeol’s hands. Chanyeol immediately pulled back.

“No! Don’t!” Chanyeol protested before he continued in a small voice, “You’ll get dirty…

Baekhyun raised a mocking eyebrow, “Dirty? You got to be kidding me. Just let me look at your hands.” Baekhyun practically got on top of Chanyeol in order to grab his hands. Chanyeol fought back, keeping his hands away from Baekhyun.

A ding rang above them and they both looked up. One of the pet store employees peered through the shops’s entrance and gaped down when she saw them on the ground.  It was then when Baekhyun realized how bizarre the image of them must be. Baekhyun was straddling a struggling Chanyeol, whose eyes were opened in their typical freakishly wide manner. All while still being on top of the pet store’s sign…situated in the middle of a public sidewalk.

Both of them scrambled and quickly stood up. Baekhyun awkwardly laughed as he mumbled out his apology. Chanyeol did the same, except Chanyeol being himself nearly scared the girl with his crooked toothy smile and big eyes. Chanyeol, realizing her discomfort turned his saddened gaze to the ground, where he saw the fallen sign.

“Ah.” Chanyeol picked up the sign and stood it up probably, “Is that okay?” He asked the girl. The girl slowly turned her stare to the sign and nodded before she slowly backed up into the store and speed walk away.

Chanyeol sighed, rubbing the back of his neck with frustration. Baekhyun saw the opportunity and gripped Chanyeol’s wrist and began dragging him down the sidewalk. 

“Wait, where are we going?” Chanyeol voiced cracked with confusion. Baekhyun gave him a smirk over his shoulder.

“We’re going to get you fixed up.”

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> 

Chanyeol protested throughout the walk to Baekhyun’s apartment, but his protests were no match for Baekhyun’s stubbornness.

“Home sweet home!” Baekhyun happily called into the apartment when he opened the door. “It’s not much, but it’s home. Don’t mind the mess.” Baekhyun finally let go of Chanyeol’s wrist and took off his shoes in the entry way. Chanyeol followed his suit and they both entered the apartment.

Baekhyun directed Chanyeol to the living room and ordered him to sit on the couch while he ran to get the first aid kit. When Baekhyun entered the room again, Chanyeol stiffened and straightened his posture as he stared at the approaching Baekhyun.

Baekhyun tried to hold back a snicker when Chanyeol eyed the first aid kit with a small amount of distaste. Pulling a foot stool over, Baekhyun placed the first aid kit on his lap and opened it. He soaked cotton balls with antiseptic and lightly took one of Chanyeol’s hands in his.

“This might sting a little.” He warned him before pressing the cotton ball to Chanyeol’s cut.

“Ow…”Chanyeol whispered out a whine and his hand flinched.

“Now, now. Don’t be a baby.” Baekhyun cooed jokingly.

“But it hurts…” Chanyeol whined again, defending himself. Baekhyun just shook his head and gave Chanyeol a smile.

“It’ll be over soon, I promise.” He lightly rubbed his thumb on the  inside of his wrist. “Besides, if I don’t do this, you’ll scar your pretty hands.”

“But! You’re the one with ----.” Chanyeol mumbled out, red dusting across his cheeks.

“What was that?” Baekhyun tilted his head, not quite catching what Chanyeol had said. Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun, the redness of his cheeks growing more saturated with every passing second. He ducked his head down.

“I said you’re the one…with….pretty hands.” Chanyeol’s voice decreased in volume with every word spoken, but Baekhyun managed to hear him this time. His eyebrows shot up  before he looked down at his own hands.

“Really?” He said. He flipped one of his hands over as he started to look them in a new light. Chanyeol sunk deeper into the couch and Baekhyun could only see his red ears.

“Hmm, maybe I should be a hand model. What you do think?” Baekhyun dramatically posed with his hand pressed against his cheek and made a face. Chanyeol looked up through his bangs and held back a snicker. “What, no good? How about this?” Baekhyun went into a pondering pose, overexaggerating for comedic purposes. Chanyeol visibly relaxed as a smile finally broke through his features.

Baekhyun felt like he had completed his mission, “All right, all right. Don’t worry, I won’t quit my day job. Now, back to fixing you up.” Upon hearing the last bit of his sentence, Chanyeol’s smile turned upside down. But, he let Baekhyun work his magic on the palm of his hands.

“All done.” Baekhyun announced after pasting the last band aid on Chanyeol’s hand. Chanyeol pulled his hands back and observed Baekhyun’s handy work.  

“Thank you.” He mumbled out bashfully.

“You are welcome.” Baekhyun closed the first aid kit and gave Chanyeol a small grin. He stood up and walked over to the kitchen a few feet away.

“Oh goodness, what a terrible host I am!” Baekhyun exclaimed, throwing his arms up in the air. “Chanyeol, would you like anything to eat or drink?”

“No thank you.” Chanyeol told him politely. Baekhyun frowned a little but nodded anyways. He took a glass down from the cupboard and poured some water into it. He looked over his shoulder to Chanyeol who was fixated on something. Following his gaze, Baekhyun snickered when he realized Chanyeol was staring down the little glass jar filled with candy on his coffee table.

“You can help yourself, you know.” Chanyeol’s head shot up and looked at Baekhyun. He shyly looked down before reaching forward and taking some candies out of the jar. Baekhyun felt his smile inch wider at the childish boy on his couch. He decided to pour another glass of water for Chanyeol and made his way over to the couch.

“I thought I’d get you some water anyways. Sweets can make you thirsty.” Baekhyun placed a glass of water in front of Chanyeol on the coffee table. Chanyeol gave his thanks and took the water immediately and started to gulp it down. “And I thought you said you didn’t want anything!” Baekhyun laughed.

“Oh, um. I didn’t. It’s just, I’m a little nervous.” Chanyeol fiddled with his fingers.

“Nervous?” Baekhyun questioned, “Why?”

“Ummm....” Chanyeol gnawed his bottom lip, “I’m not used to …this.” Chanyeol motioned between the two of them. Baekhyun tilted his head as he processed what Chanyeol was trying to get at.

“…This? What’s this?” Baekhyun asked and then he froze, “Oh my god.  I just realized. I just pulled you along as I pleased, I didn’t even-Did I make you uncomfortable? I was just trying, I’m so stupid. I’m sorry-” Baekhyun stopped talking when Chanyeol cut him off with a laugh.  “Are you laughing at me?” Baekhyun frowned.

“Ahaha, no. It’s just, for once I’m not the one stumbling over their words.” Chanyeol continued laughing, his mouth opened widely and his eyes cutely twitching. Baekhyun had grown used to the way Chanyeol looked when he smiled and he found himself being quite fond of it.

“I’m glad you’re finding this humorous, but were you okay with me dragging you here? I kind of just focused on getting your hands treated and not really what you wanted.”

“No, no. It’s fine. I’m actually grateful.” Chanyeol eyes softened as they peered into Baekhyun’s, “Really, really grateful…” Baekhyun’s eyes widen when he saw that Chanyeol was starting to tear up.

“W-whoa, wait a second.” Baekhyun reached over and frantically grabbed some tissues from the coffee table. He managed to catch Chanyeol’s tears as they fell.  The sight of the giant in front of him who was currently in a mess of tears was baffling.

“You’re been so kind to me.” Chanyeol’s deep voice cracked, “I’m just not used to this treatment.” Chanyeol sniffed loudly, trying to clear his nose, “You’re just such a nice person.”  Chanyeol then started mumbling incoherently, though jumbles of compliments and thanks directed toward Baekhyun could be heard. To say Baekhyun was startled would be accurate.

Baekhyun felt like there was nothing else to do but to lean forward and wrap his arms around Chanyeol. He tried to calm him with soothing words and rocked him back and forth. After a few minutes like that, Baekhyun felt Chanyeol's breathing go steady against his neck and pulled back. He wiped the remainder of any tears off his cheeks before rubbing his thumb gently under Chanyeol’s puffy eyes.

“You okay, now?” Baekhyun whispered softly.

“Yeah. I-“ Chanyeol sniffed loudly, “I don’t know what came over me.” And he awkwardly avoided Baekhyun’s stare.  Sighing, Baekhyun pulled back and placed him further back from Chanyeol. He looked around and caught the jar of candy.

“Here.” Baekhyun reached out and took some candy from the jar and then passed them to Chanyeol, “Candy should make you feel better.”

Chanyeol accepted the candy with a small, shaky smile and started to eat them.

“So…” Baekhyun asked for a few moments of silence, “You like candy?” Idiot, of course he likes candy. Baekhyun cursed in his head.

Chanyeol quickly nodded  his head, “I love it!” He yelped out, “I love anything sweet, actually.”

“Oh really? What’s your favourite kind? Jelly beans?” Baekhyun asked, considering he only saw Chanyeol hanging around the jelly bean section.

“No.” Chanyeol, “Um, I do have a favourite but...”

“What? What is it?”

“I like candy hearts the best.” Chanyeol blushed. Baekhyun nodded accordingly.

“Ohh, well they are good. And really sweet!” Baekhyun chuckled. Chanyeol shook his head.

“No, I don’t just like them because of that.”

“Then why do you like them?”

“Um. The messages. They kind of…” Chanyeol immediately clamped his mouth shut. Baekhyun nudged him.

“They kind of…”

“They make me feel a little special.” Chanyeol whispered, and looked at Baekhyun through his bangs as if he was waiting for judgement.  Baekhyun inched closer again and patted him on the back.

“That certainly is a good reason to like them. The messages can perk you up, don’t they? Especially the funny ones like ‘URA 10’ and ‘QT PIE’. “ Baekhyun gave Chanyeol an small grin and Chanyeol happily returned it.

“I like jelly beans after that. I like how they’re so many different flavors.” Chanyeol continued with his confidence seeming to build up again, “What’s your favourite?” He asked.

“Me? Oh, I don’t have one since there’s too many to choose from. And with new candies coming out all the time, it’s even harder to choose!” Baekhyun replied, laughing a little.

“Ohh, what new ones have you tried?” Chanyeol inched closed, “I’m always kind of nervous about trying new ones.”

“Really? You shouldn’t be, it’s candy after all! The worse that can happen is that you don’t like it and you spit it out.”

“But then it would go to waste…” Chanyeol murmured. Baekhyun eyed Chanyeol when a thought struck him.

“Hey, you want to help me out with something?” Baekhyun asked. Chanyeol perked up and tilted his head.

“Help you with what?”

“I have to recommend a candy every week and give a short write up on it. I usually at the write ups though. So, I was thinking maybe a fellow candy enthusiast like yourself could help me out.” Baekhyun clapped his hands together and beamed, feeling very pleased with his idea.

“Really? You want my help?” Chanyeol asked with disbelief, “Are you sure?”

“Yeah! Why not! And if you ever want to back out, I understand it can get a little bor-“

“I’ll do it.” Chanyeol announced, his eyes open wide with determination. Baekhyun paused and grinned happily.

“Really? Great! Now, we should exchange numbers so I can contact you when I need to do a write up.”  Baekhyun reached into his back pocket and pulled out his cellphone. Chanyeol hesitated but in the end pulled out his own. Baekhyun quickly saved the contact when Chanyeol froze. He shyly looked up.

“It’s Baekhyun, right?” He asked. Baekhyun blinked a few times.

“Yes and I can’t believe that after all this time we haven’t formally introduced ourselves.” Baekhyun bowed his head, “Hello, my name’s Byun Baekhyun and it’s nice to meet you.”

Chanyel bowed his head down as well and smiled, “Hello, my name’s Park Chanyeol and it’s nice to meet you too.”

__________________________________________________________________________________

You guys....are so awesome <3 Already this many subscribers and comments with ONE chapter <3 You guys are so great, and I'm so thankful :')

 

By the way, I keep forgetting that Chanyeol has a deep voice. I was rereading this chapter as if Chanyeol has a small cutesy voice. Thus, I reread it again and rewrote things accordingly.

And as you can guess, this is a fluffy fic. And Chanyeol is very sensitive. But, he won't be that way for too long. The friendship between them is just starting out, ahhh budding friendship...that's going to become more. So sit tight guys <3

Also, I've been a little sad lately because everyone is getting hyped up because there was a small Krisyeol and Baekyeol battle. Personally, I'm more of a Baekyeol, but I like reading Krisyeol too. So, I just kind of decided to follow this motto:

Kay buh bye now and much love xoxoxo