Chapter 1

Talk to Me

Park Chanyeol couldn’t believe the situation he was caught in.  Never in a million years did he think this would ever happen to him.  He didn’t mean for this to happen.  When he transferred to his new school, he never expected that it would be any different from when he was at his old school, but boy was he wrong.  The day he transferred destroyed any of his hope for a normal school year.

 

But this…this topped anything that ever happened to him, even at his old school.  People played pranks on him all the time; apparently his personality invited it, he was gullible to a degree, and sometimes didn’t think before acting, but he never knew he was this impetuous.  He mentally kicked himself over and over because there was no room in his present predicament to beat himself unconscious without injuring the other person who happened to be caught in the same dilemma.

 

“This is all your fault…”

 

Chanyeol stiffened.

 

Byun Baekhyun was not happy in the slightest.  He had never in a million years thought he would find himself trapped in an instrument closet with the one person he couldn’t stand; the one person who turned his quiet life completely upside-down five minutes after he started his first day of school.  It was unthinkable that this ditzy giant could destroy everything he worked so hard for his whole most of his school career in one instant.

 

Baekhyun was a musical genius; he could sing like an angel and play the piano amazingly as well.  He didn’t associate with the people in his school; they couldn’t even begin to compare to him.  So, they just left him alone.  It was considered a taboo to talk to him, and he was happy to have it that way.  Everyone ignored him and he ignored them, that is, until Park Chanyeol stormed into his life.  He blew in like a hurricane, and the storm had yet to cease.

 

Ever since the first day he laid eyes on him, Chanyeol was absolutely captivated by the silent and standoffish Byun Baekhyun.  Because he was curious about him, he immediately wanted to know him.  He made a bee-line straight to him and introduced himself with a wide smile, despite the frantic warnings whispered to him from all sides.

 

“Hi, my name is Park Chanyeol, nice to meet you.”

 

The room abruptly became silent.  Baekhyun lifted his eyes from the music theory book he was reading to stare at the tall stranger beaming up above him.  All he could do was stare, and he wasn’t the only one.  One of their classmates regained his composure quickly enough to rescue Chanyeol from utter embarrassment.  Kim Joonmyun, or Suho, as he was known, dragged him away from Baekhyun as fast as his legs would carry him.

 

Chanyeol was confused.

 

“You certainly have guts.  You’re the first person to approach “The Unapproachable” right off the bat.”

 

“Umm…excuse me?”

 

“No one talks to Byun Baekhyun…and Byun Baekhyun doesn’t talk to anyone.”

 

“Why?”

 

A boy named Kim Jongin (a.k.a. Kai) answered.

 

“He’s been like that since middle school.  We’ve just gotten used to it, so we don’t question why anymore.”

 

After that, Chanyeol was determined to talk to Baekhyun, even against all the warnings from his new friends, Kai and Suho.  Every chance he could, he tried to talk to Baekhyun.  When he saw him in the hallways he always waved and greeted him, but Baekhyun walked by like Chanyeol didn’t even exist; in class when he tried to make conversation, Baekhyun would act like he was busy reading the text book or copying something from the whiteboard.  Even though he was flat out ignored every time, Chanyeol was encouraged even more.  He couldn’t understand why Baekhyun was that way, and he was determined to find out, but first he had to make him talk.

 

After weeks of failure, he finally decided it was time to give up.  To cheer himself up, he went to the music room and sat down at the baby Grand Piano and tested out the tone of it before he began to play.

 

No one really knew that Chanyeol could play the piano.  It was a secret hobby of his, and admittedly, he wasn’t the best piano player out there; but he liked to play nonetheless.  He closed his eyes and let the music take him over.  He was so into the music that he didn’t notice that the door to the room opened and someone slunk in to listen.

 

“You’re pretty good.”

 

Chanyeol was startled.  He abruptly stopped playing, his hands smashing the keys, and turned to in the direction of the voice.  He almost fell off the piano bench, catching himself before he hit the floor.

 

“How long have you been playing?” Baekhyun asked, stepping up onto the stage.

 

“Uh…since I was seven,” Chanyeol stuttered, righting himself on the bench.

 

“Do you mind?”

 

Baekhyun sat down next to Chanyeol and flexed his fingers before he began to play “Kiss the Rain” by Yiruma.  Chanyeol was blown away.  He had no idea anyone could be this talented when it came to playing an instrument.  He closed his eyes and tapped his fingers in time with the notes, a huge smile spreading across his face.  It was pure heaven.  He was so engrossed in the music that he didn’t even notice that Baekhyun stopped playing and was staring at him.

 

“Um…are you done yet?”


Chanyeol immediately stopped moving his fingers and cracked an eye open to look at Baekhyun.  A bright pink blush crept up to his face and he turned away to hide his embarrassment.

 

“I’m um…sorry.  You play really well and I couldn’t help myself.”


Baekhyun smiled and turned back to the piano keys.

 

“Um..thanks.”

Chanyeol felt his heart skip a beat and his blush intensify as he took in Baekhyun’s blinding smile.

 

“You have a really nice smile.”

 

The phrase just came out.  He quickly clasped his hands over his mouth and jumped up from the bench.

 

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry!  Sometimes I just say things without thinking and I-you…you’re laughing?”

 

Byun Baekhyun was indeed laughing…and it scared him; but he couldn’t help himself.  For some odd reason he found Chanyeol to be completely interesting.  Even though he ignored him every time he tried to talk to him, he couldn’t help but watch Chanyeol out of the corner of his eye.  He was fascinated at the way this awkward giant (he had a few inches on just about everyone in the school) made friends and still managed to keep them even after he embarrassed himself more times than Baekhyun could count on his fingers.  The others readily accepted Chanyeol and his flaws, a concept that Baekhyun couldn’t even begin to fathom.  He spent most of his life trying to keep people out, that “friendship” was foreign territory…one that he wasn’t prepared to enter.  But at this rate, he wasn’t going to be taking baby-steps into that territory either. 

 

Chanyeol couldn’t stop staring.  He had no idea that a person’s smile could be as brilliant as what Baekhyun was showing him right now.  And his laugh!  It was enough to give him a heart attack.  He noticed that Baekhyun seemed a little freaked out by his own reaction, and the laugher quickly subsisded. He stood up from the bench and cleared his throat.

 

“I think it’s time for me to go now…”

 

And with that, Baekhyun turned and walked off of the stage and out the door.  Chanyeol continued to stare at the empty space where he once stood, stunned.

“Did I do something wrong?”

**I added the link to the song I had Baekhyun play for those who don't know it :)**


Author's Note: OTL I'm sorry if this wasn't what you were expecting.  I'll try to make it up to you in the next few chapters though :) since it's completely finished, you won't have to wait too long for the next update :) chapter two is almost typed and edited, so it'll be up in the next three-five days hopefully.

AND OMFG FJDKLJFL:DSFDJKLF:JDS I almost died when I logged on this morning :0 15 SUBSCRIBERS JUST FOR THE FOREWORD FJKDLFJD:JFD.  I love you guys so much ;A; thank you, thank you, thank you for subscribing!!