Return for a Wallet

To Care

 

            “Sanghyun, thank you for coming back with me.  I wish I could get it tomorrow, but I’m having breakfast with someone.  Also thank you again.  You bought everything tonight,” Gyuri said as she took a bit from her bungeoppang.  After staying at Seungho’s grave, she and Sanghyun decided to stay out some more.  However seeing that it was late, there were not many choices.  It was mainly clubbing and eating but Gyuri did not want to be part of the former.  She knew that they would probably run into certain people that she preferred to avoid.  Whether it was fellow co-workers or clients, she needed to breather from that scene.  Sanghyun understood that, he wanted to hang out with her in a more private area than being circled by drunken strangers.  Besides they both loved food.  So they decided to walk around, eating various types of street food.  It was nothing new to Gyuri, but for Sanghyun it was a nostalgic treat.   Even though they had fun wandering in the city, they had to go back to the club.

                 “No problem noona,” Sanghyun took a large bite of the delicious fish-shaped waffle filled with sweet red beans, “I don’t get to eat this as often back in the Phillipines, especially fresh from the cart.  I can’t believe that they make chocolate ones too though.”

                 Gyuri smiled and put her chocolate-filled bungeoppang in front of him, “Taste.”

                 Her younger friend had a sneaky grin, as he scanned the area before he took a small bite, “Mmm it’s really good.  We should grab some more after we get your wallet.”

                 “Definitely.”

-----

                 “I hope I didn’t get you in trouble,” Sanghyun whispered in Gyuri’s ear, as they walked through the sardine-packed club.  When they got to the front door, the bouncer told them that her manager wanted to see her in the office as soon as possible.  Both of them were unsure of what was happening.  They were only there to pick up her wallet.

                 “Don’t get yourself bundled for nothing.  Besides you don’t pay until the end of my services,” Gyuri squeezed his hand, as she led him through the crowd. 

                 “How did you-”

                 “Trust me.  I know you’re not the type of man to hire girls like me,” she said once they were escaped from the pack.  Towards the back where there were the karaoke rooms, private rooms, and restrooms; they took an odd turn.  There was a spiral staircase that led to the VIP section that they were at a few hours ago.  Once they reached the last step, the scene was pretty similar still.  Everyone was well dressed, ready to party it up.  Some people were drinking at the bar or booths.  Then there was a dance floor, which was smaller and more intimate in comparison to the rave-like crowd below.  Others were socializing with old pals or making new friends.  Gyuri knew most of the people here, as they knew her too.  What was funny though was that the girls, especially her fellow co-workers gave her a certain look.  It was not of disgust, but there was a hint of irritation to it.  Like as though they were sizing her out.  But why though?

                 Suddenly Gyuri felt a finger tap her shoulder from behind.  She turned around to find Nana, whose arms were now crossed.  Nana was more than the others here.

                 “I thought you were with-” Gyuri was confused to see the supermodel-like girl.

                 “Go to Room 7,” Nana spurted.

                 Understanding that her manager was there, Gyuri pulled Sanghyun with her to that direction.  However they felt something stopping them.  They turned to find Nana holding on to his wrist.

                 “I’d leave him here,” she then crawled her fingers up his arm, “I can keep him some company.”

                 Sanghyun tugged his arm from her, “It’s okay.  Thank you for your other though.  Gyuri, I’m going to follow you.  Is that fine?”

                 At first Gyuri was going to leave him in the VIP area at one of the sofas.  However she realized that this was not the type of place for Sanghyun.  Clubs were not his scene.  Sanghyun was a shy kind man that enjoyed a quiet night at home.  He deflected from attention.  This was not possible though.  Here women eyed him like hungry dogs.  They were only waiting for Gyuri stray away for the slightest bit.  It was difficult to tell why.  He was handsome, but he also had a wealthy appearance to him.  After all he worked at a successful global company that allowed him to live in the Philippines, but travel back to Korea very often.  His gray striped suit, Ferragamo loafers, and Rolex said it all.  He did want to call such attention, but he had to dress to impress for his work.  He also had to look the part if he wanted to spend time with Gyuri tonight.  He knew that she was not the type to be attracted by money, but her job required it.  Still he would do anything to spend time with her.    

                 “It’s okay,” Gyuri smiled.

                 “Thank you noona,” he lipped back.

                  A quick tug, he almost fell forward.  However he stopped himself before he could fall on the tiny figure in front of him.  Watching her lead him through the crowd was awe-striking.   Gyuri had spunk to her.  Back straighten and legs crossing over each as walking, she was confident despite what was happening.  Maybe it was innocent Sanghyun, but he was scared for her.  Her “manager” mustn’t be happy he was searching for one of his best girls.  Sanghyun was worried for what was in store for her.  In this field, everyone was shady somehow.  Except Gyuri.  She still maintained this glow to her.  She was not dirty like how most people saw women in her field.   On the outside, she appeared to be a regular, but beautiful, young woman.  No one could tell what she worked as.  Maybe it was how she revealed herself.  Like the calm neutral expression was plastered on her face.   There was not this cheap attitude to her. 

                 Once they were farther and farther from the center of the VIP area, things were calmer and quieter.  Sure there were some people hanging around, but doing the usual drunk business.  Trying to sweet talk and be intimate with one another.  That would not be possible with all the alcohol in their system though.   They just look like people slobbering and mumbling instead.  They could not handle their liquor.  Then again most of these people were spoiled rich brats supported by their mommy and daddy.  The type who thought they were the best, and they thought like that because no one stopped them.  For Sanghyun, he was not used to seeing such behavior based on his confused face.  Gyuri saw this and slightly smiled, she could tell what type of individual he was.  He really was just a nice guy.  He was innocent and kind.  He had no reason to be mixed in business like this.  It saddened her a bit that he was in a place like this because of her.  Yet he was willing to.  He set aside all judgment because of her.

                 Even further into the building, the numbers of people started to disappear.  However this allowed Gyuri and Sanghyun to hear an intense argument going on.  The words were incoherent, but they could both tell that it was incredibly heated.   At point they even heard something hit against the wall.  Knowing that something was really wrong, Gyuri started to walk slower.  Her steps were more staccato.  It was almost like she had to drag herself to get to the club manager’s door.  Sanghyun noticed this, as he put his hand on her shoulder.  Gyuri turned around.

                 “Do you need to see him?”  There was a worried expression.  His eyes darted to her and the hallway walls.  Lips were twitching, unable to think of anything else to say.  He wished that he could just blurt something.  Anything, so they would not need to continue their journey.  The noise was making him more than uneasy.  He could not let her get hurt.  It was already bad enough that Seungho was not here anymore. 

                  Seeing the nerves bundling up, Gyuri grabbed his hand from her shoulder.  She tightly held his hand, and whispered, “I need to follow every order.”

                  It hurt Sanghyun, knowing that she had go through this.  Alone especially.  It was not a secret that she hated to have help.  She was ashamed of what she was doing.  Yet she continued this.  “Why?”

                  Gyuri looked down, “It’s for Jiyoung. I know I could get a regular job like working in a convenience store of something.  At the time though-”

                  Fearing that he brought up old wounds, he pulled her into a hug, “Noona, don’t cry.  You don’t have to tell me.  Let me go with you inside though okay?”

                  Pulling away, she could only nod.  Once they agreed, she continued the walk again by pulling on his hand.  A turn to the right and a turn to the left, they were there.  During their time to get there, the sounds were even worse.  It was starting to get violent.  They could both hear stuff being thrown to the ground and the wall.  At one point, they were able to catch something about pulling a guy off of someone.  Voices were louder and roaring.  Even though they still could not make out most of the words, they could tell it would not get better.  Voices started to cut each other off.  There were even a few occasional animalistic yells, purely to release certain anger.  With each new sound, Sanghyun squeezes Gyuri’s hand even tighter.

                  They arrived at the door.  Her face has lost color.  She is stiff and knows this is it.  Sanghyun rubs her shoulder in reassurance.  Comforted, she turns to him and smiles.  Then she returns her attention back the door.  The cold metal gray door.  It is almost like a door made for a safe, but this was for an office. Then again, this office had a few secrets of its own to keep.  Some were simple.  Most of them though had a dark past to it.  Gyuri cleared , and rotates her head to Sanghyun.  He nods, letting her know things will be okay.  With that assured, she takes and deep breath and touches the door metal knob.  With one push, the door slowly opened.

                  “I can’t believe you disobeyed me!”

                  Gyuri immediately recognized that voice.

                  It was TOP.

                  Who disobeyed him?

                  “Don’t you understand?” her manager threw his hands up in frustration.  The room was a mess.  Broken vases were scattered on the ground.  A few bottles too.  Based on the shard alone, Gyuri could tell it was from whiskey. An Irish brand.  She could not understand too much which one specifically, but she had seen the labels before from her familiar client.  Still everything was a mess.  The club manager had a nasty black eye and what appeared to be a broken nose.  Even his burly muscle men could not protect him.  In fact they looked intimidated by the party opposite of them.  Standing face to face with the club manager was TOP.  Standing tall and mighty, his face was in much better shape except for the cut above his brow and the other on his cheek.  In comparison to the manager, he was tall and proud.  His fists were clenched and swollen, probably from the beatings he had given.  Despite his face, he was smooth still with his suit having a few ruffles.  Overall he looked like a James Bond in action, while his four friends looked like his sidekicks. 

                  For a few moments Gyuri stood at the doorway, with Sanghyun right behind her.  At first nobody noticed, until the one that she remembered as Jiyong or GD saw her.  When they made eye contact, the willowy blonde hair man immediately broke it by looking down.  The other three friends noticed this and started to turn their heads around, trying to figure out what it was.  Then they noticed Gyuri and her friend at the door.  All four of them murmured to one another, until GD gathered all of his courage and treaded towards his furious best friend.  He tapped the tall man’s shoulder.

                  “What?” Seunghyun growled.

                  GD could only nod his head to Gyuri’s direction.  Seunghyun snapped his head to find Gyuri.  The fire in his eyes heightened as once he saw her.  His eyes briefly made contact with hers.  She was scared to see him like this.  She could see his fists were becoming white, despite the swelling, and tightening up.  He was almost shaking.  Especially when he saw the man behind her.  This time, he swayed his attention away from the manager and to the couple instead.  He stormed to the door.  Each step was like a stomp, almost vibrating the floor with such power.  Arms were rigid, barely swinging.  Eyes were narrowing and darting between the targets.  Seeing this, Sanghyun stepped in front of Gyuri.  He would not let her be approached by this man.  However his efforts were crushed, once his face made contact with the furious man’s fist.

BAM

                  One powerful punch to the cheek, Sanghyun fell to the ground.  Shocked, Gyuri went down to her younger friend’s side.   She tried to nurse his head on her lap, but it thudded back to the ground.  TOP snatched Gyuri’s wrist and pulled her up like she was a rag doll.  The force was strong, as she winced.  She tried to look at friend, but TOP’s other hand grabbed her face to him.  He made sure that she was going to pay attention to him.

                  “Who is that?” TOP snarled in a low vicious tone.  He moved his face closer to hers, as he started squeezing her face slowly.  The impact was slowly increasing.

                  “You’re you’re hurting me,” she tried to tell him.  However it had no use, as he continued his hold.

                  “Answer my question.  Who.  Is.  That.”

                  Gyuri whimpered from the pain, “Please stop.”

                  His body tensed even more, “Answer me.”

                  Gyuri did not know how to respond.  What was the better way of describing Sanghyun.  She was worried for his safety, seeing how TOP was.  “He’s a client.”

                  TOP’s jaw circled, “Why were you out?”

                  “He paid for his time,” she could only give the simplest answer.  She did not want to contest to him.

                  The manager tried to go in between them, pleading, “Mr. Choi, this man paid three times the normal amount.”

                  To this the manager was shoved to the ground with TOP’s free hand.  For a brief moment he turned his head to the man on the ground, “So you let money talk huh?”

                  Then he retuned his attention to the scared woman, “What did you do with him? Huh? “  His hold on her face was becoming tighter and tighter.  He was gradually yelling at her, “Did you him too?  What now?  Do I need another ing test too?  Why don’t you learn your lesson?”

                  Suddenly his hand was released from her face.  Gyuri was startled and took a few steps back.  For a moment, she rubbed her sore cheeks and jaws.  Without second thought, she ran back to Sanghyun’s side.  He was not really there.  However he tried to smile at her, to reassure her.  Then she saw on both side of TOP, his friend clutching onto his arms.  They were trying to restrain him.

                  “Hyung you’re hurting her,” the soft voice, known as Daesung, tried to reason.

                  The long Mohawk man, Youngbae, used both of his hands to hold TOP’s arm.  “Seunghyun, that isn’t right.”

                  It was no use though, when TOP shook them off.  Then he marched back to Gyuri.  There he towered over her.  His hands were back into fists and he had a snarl on his face.  He was like a beast.  Then he commanded, “Get up.”

                  Not wanting to anger him even more, she stood up with little hesitation.  Even though she hated to show fear, she trembled.  What was he going to do next?  What was he capable of?  Based on her experience with in the bedroom, she knew that he was strong.  She had to admit there were times she could not move after a session.  There were times that he was rough with her.  She had a couple of bruises sometimes.  However she did not expect him to be like this.  With these thoughts in mind, she took a deep breath and tried to maintain a neutral face.  Once she was up, TOP took a step forward.  There he looked down at her. Their faces were a few centimeters apart.  Suddenly he grabbed her wrists.  For a few moments he stared at her with an intense glare.  Then he let go.

                  He turned to the club manager, “Remember what I said.”

                  With those words, he crooked his head to the door.  His friends nodded their head and walked out.  However TOP stayed behind.  Once all his friends were out the room, he started his stride.  Before leaving the room, he gave a light kick to Sanghyun.  Gyuri saw this and immediately went to her friend’s side.  Seeing this, TOP narrowed his eyes and continued his walk.  One step before leaving the room, he slowly pivoted to Gyuri.

                  “Remember who you belong to.” 

                 

                 

Just want to say THANK YOU and Happy Holidays. You've been an awesome audience, with all your support. I wish I could give you something for this season!