Not Chosen

To Care

 

            The loud music made it difficult to hear.  Dubstep or New Jack Swing, it did not matter though.  Sound was nothing.  It was mute to her.  Instead Park Gyuri sat on a stool in another club that she did not remember the name of.  All she knew was that she was in the VIP section and was staring at the door.  She was not making it too obvious though.  Her legs perfectly were crossed, while her hands cradled a full martini glass.  Gyuri was the femme fatale that every man desired of having.  In a tight gold dress and five inch black killer heels with her wavy hair, she embodied a man’s dream.  Despite this attention though, she was not satisfied.  There was only one that mattered.

            Only ten minutes ago, did she see the same scene.  Her usual client, TOP, arrived at whatever club she was working at tonight.  Instead of seeking her services though, it was the complete opposite.  He requested for a new girl.  This was a first in the history of their business together.  He always went to her.  Now he picked a new one every night.  This had been happening for the past week; ever since they both found out they were negative.

            While it was a serious issue, that did not matter to her boss.  She needed to continue working, and working she did.  Somewhat though.  Despite showing up every night at the right time and place, nothing happened.  Men would buy her drinks.  They would flirt with her, she played hard to get for her own reasons.  However once they seemed like they were ready to buy her services, nothing happened.  They picked someone else instead.  In a way she was glad this happened, but she needed the work.  Gyuri worried not having any clients for the past week.  TOP was gone.  Now no one hired her.  Despite being “paid” as a “hostess”, it was not much.  Unfortunately her “special services” and tips through her true job helped her survive. 

            TOP on the other hand was a funny story.  He was at the same places she was at, but never went to her.  The first night it was Hyosung. Then the next, Soyeon.  Soon followed Bom, Yubin, Sunhwa, and Bora.  All of them were the same.  Giddy and proud of the fact that the TOP picked them.  For once, the wide toothed grins on their faces were real.  Their perkiness was amped at 500.  Voices were several octaves higher.  It was a victory for them to be chosen.  Then again, people were shocked when he requested for somebody else.  It was thought amongst most that he would never switch, but they were wrong. Gyuri was alone.  She could only watch her colleagues come back and talk about how amazing he was.  They did not go in too much detail, but TOP was a private man.  He never wanted his business told. It made her blood boil to hear such words.  Knowing him, Gyuri would never say anything about him.  These girls were foolish to say such things in public.

            What shocked her tonight were his choices though.  Instead of one, he picked two for services.  Nana and Jaekyung.  Both were some of the most popular choices amongst clients here.  It was not difficult to see why.  Both were like Victoria’s Secrets Angels.  Their lean bodies and y features always kept them in high demand.  Unlike them, Gyuri had a smaller clientele before due to her used-to-be most loyal client.  He prevented people from going to her because she was his.  However now she was no different from them.  TOP had picked them too, but both now. 

-----

            “How did you like that mix?,” the man hiccupped.  Then he continued slurring, “I am the be-best for you!  Because I know YOU best!”

            This drunk man continued his ramble, pointing at imaginary figures and trying to lean closer to Gyuri.  For the past thirty minutes, this fool was chatting her up at the bar.  He started off by demanding her to sleep with him, hoping that this assertive behavior would be attractive.  However it only turned her off.  Unlike a certain man, this one was all sorts of wrong.  Drunk and messy were the nicest ways of describing him.  A pot-bellied man wearing a half buttoned printed shirt that looked like it came from the seventies, he burped and farted every few minutes.  It did not help that he had a large amount of gel lathered on his head, making him greasier than before.   His teeth were yellow and his breath reeked.  He tried to tell her his name, but Gyuri did not remember it.  She secretly noted him as the Drunk for all she cared.  As much as she hated to say this, she needed a customer tonight.  She needed to get some money flowing in.  Across the room her manager was eyeing her funny.

            The drunk took a large swig from the bottle of soju, which he slammed on the table.  Then he wiped his mouth with his sleeve in a sloppy manner, before slouching in his seat.  Then he tried to lean over to Gyuri to whisper in her ear, but she inched away.  Then he shouted, “You and me upstairs now!”

            Hearing this, Gyuri she succeed in getting a customer tonight.  However she felt like puking, knowing that she really had no limits anymore.  She was getting desperate.  Then she remember that this was all for Jiyoung, the only family she had left now.  She promised her parents that she would raise and provide her little sister a good life.  What she did not tell them was that she was willing to push aside all risks.

            Before she could respond, she saw a  hand on the drunk’s shoulder.  Due to the low sporadic lighting, Gyuri could not tell who this was.  All she saw was a tall figure outline and large hand.  Then she heard a familiar voice.  There was a certain accent to it, cute and foreign.

            “You can go now.”

            The drunk immediately swirled in his bar stool, trying to see who this strange man was.  He struggled to push himself off his seat.  Then he tried to stand up, but swerved side to side.  One finger pointed up, the drunk slurred once again, “I’m so-sorry, but she’s-s taken.  I was go-going to-”

            The voice cut him off, “I already paid for tonight’s services.  So you can go now.”

            Gyuri could not really see what was happening.  All she saw was the tall hidden figure and the drunk’s back, whose shirt was drenched in sweat.  Seeing this, she shivered but tried to watch the scene at the same time.  The man stood there, while the drunk was attempting to yell.   The loud drunkard was flinging his hands at point, and looked like he was going to whack the hidden one.  However he was knocked out cold with a punch.  Watching that moment, Gyuri jumped in her seat with her hands over .  What was she getting herself into?

            Suddenly the figure stepped out from darkness, and revealed himself under a better light.  Standing before her was the tall man, whose posture was incredibly straight.  Hands in his pockets, it played up to his boyish image he always maintained.  His eyes were slightly covered by his hair, but she could see that single double eyelid.  There was that shy smile.  He was Thunder to most people.  To Gyuri he was Park Sanghyun.

            Once he knew that she recognized him, Sanghyun walked to her.  Gyuri did the same.  When they met halfway, their smiles widen.  Not thinking twice, she immediately hugged him.  It was tight and loving.  At first he was shocked, but he pulled her closer as he rubbed her back.  There was a protective caring feel to it.

            “Are you sure it’s safe to be hugging me?” Sanghyun whispered in her ear.  Despite the club being loud, she could still hear him.  He always had that distinct voice.  Hearing that familiar voice brought bittersweet memories.

            Since she was a tiny figure, she had to tippy toe and pull his shirt.  Then she said close to his ear, “It’s okay.  People are drunk right now, and they’ll think you’re my client for the night.  Besides it’s been awhile since we last saw each other.  Since since-”

            “You don’t need to say it if it hurts.”

            “Thank you.”

            Sanghyun pulled away.  With a solemn face he said, “I really do want to hangout, but tonight might be my only time.”

            Hearing this, Gyuri’s face changed.  It was not cold or smiling.  For once she revealed her true sadness in this environment.  She wanted to talk to him or grab some coffee, but she had work.  However work was work, to which Gyuri sighed, “Embarrassing as it is, you know I’m working right now.  I don’t think I can leave, but-”

            Sanghyun looked down, his feet were fidgeting.  Hands were in his pockets, but he said, “I don’t want you to take this the wrong way, but may I purchase a few hours?”

            “You’re my friend.  I don’t want you to because of that,” Gyuri felt sorry for him needing to do such a thing.  However she knew why.

            “This might be my only way to see you tonight.  Please noona?”  he asked with cute puppy eyes. 

            It was true that purchasing her was the only way, but it was so strange. He was her friend.  Not just her friend. Still she had to accept this.  To this, she nodded, “Let me find my boss then.”

-----

            It was a cold night.  The winds were powerful, blowing the giant piles of leaves.  Not only were they strong, but there was a cold nip to it.  Despite wearing a beige coat, Gyuri still shivered from the harsh breezes.  Trying to warm herself, she started to rub her hands together.  Next to her, Sanghyun turned and saw how cold she was.  He immediately took off his thick navy jacket, and went behind her.  She was confused, but he instructed her to wear it.  At first she declined his offer because she knew how cold he got so easily.  However he would not step down, so she slipped it on while he helped.  Then he grabbed her hands, and slipped on his knitted gloves. 

            “Sanghyun, this is too much,” Gyuri said.

            “Please noona, you’re freezing especially in your outfit.  I’m fine.  I still have my long sleeve shirt and jeans on,” he tried to reason with her.

            “Okay then.”

            A few step later, they finally arrived at their location.  They stared at the tombstone.

Yang Seungho

October 16, 1987 – June 14, 2010

Loving Father, Son, Friend, and Leader

            It was tough for them to look.  Even though life passed by them and over time they moved on, it was difficult.  Gyuri fidgeted her hands.  A tear rolled her face.  It had been some time since that happened, but his death always hit her hard.  Seeing this, Sanghyun rubbed her shoulder.

            “It’s okay.  This might sound cheesy, but you can always lean on me,” he whispered.

            “Thank you.  It looks like Seungyeon and Hara were here recently,” Gyuri said when she pointed to the bouquet of daisies.  They visited almost every week or so.  Reminded of this, she cried a little harder, “I feel terrible now.  I have been able to move on, but now it seems so wrong.  It’s like as though I don’t care about him anymore.  I don’t visit his grave.  It just bring up-”

            Sanghyun pulled her into a hug.  She sobbed into his chest, to which he rubbed her back, “Shh don’t worry.  We all need to move on at some point.  I can understand you not visiting.  I don’t visit all the time when I’m back in Korea.  It brings up that hidden sadness I’ve pushed aside.  Sometimes it makes me feel guilty again.  Sometimes I tell myself that if I hung out with him that night, he would still be here.”

            Her cries silenced themselves for a few moments, “Don’t carry that guilt Sanghyun.  Who would have known?”

              “I try to remind myself that.  I am glad that you moved on though.  I always worried that you would be stuck, but seeing you made me better.  I can release a breath of relief, but I want to help you.  You were his girlfriend.  I am his best friend.  I feel obli-”

            “Don’t.  I can take care of myself.”

            “Are you sure?”

            “I need to support for my sister on my own terms, even if it means living with this job.”

            “For how long though?”

            “I don’t know.”

 

           

 

Hey everyone!  I'm sorry for the lack of updates :(  School's been busy due to overload of exams, papers, and porjects.  I know that I've updated others stories more regularly than this one, but it's not because I'm playing favoritsm.  It always seems like this story is put to the backburner especially when I do have a general idea of what's to happen :( I do apologize and willl try to update.  In mid December, there will definately be more chapters because I'll be on a month long break :) 

Just want to say THANK YOU for sticking with this story!!! The fact that you still continue to read, subscribe, and comment are amazing since I'm not always active.    I can't be more thankful.  In the spirit of Thanksgiving, THANK YOU!!!