Noon

To Care

 

            The nights of Seoul were exciting, bringing out the ultimate rush of adrenaline and the type of memories that would be embedded into many minds for many years to come.  Despite the many people lost in slumber, still there would be many night creatures out lurking.  People would fill up the streets and sidewalks, travelling to see what the area could offer.  Delicious scents of food would flood the air, causing mouths to water.  Loud speakers blaring the hottest songs from different directions combined creating a cacophony that did not bother many, as long as their favorite songs were played. Lighted signs and skyscrapers would illuminate the city so brightly, that it could be seen from space.   Everything about Seoul screamed a nonstop adventure.

            However, near the Han River, it was the opposite.  There was no activity, except there was a parked silver Audi R8.  The car was mainly off, only the heater was on and soft classical tunes played from the radio.  Inside the car was a couple.

            A well toned muscular man with good looking features and perfectly coiffed hair sat in the driver seat.  With his favorite over-worn dark leather jacket and leader personality, Seungho would sometimes appear to be cold and intimidating.  However, he was quite the opposite, being sensitive and chatty.  Still during these moments he stared at the serene river and reflected, while his left hand rested on the wheel.  His other hand was interlaced with a tiny soft hand belonging to a beautiful woman.  Based on the way his thumb rubbed her hand, Seungho silently showed his love towards his beloved.

            Next to him, the beautiful woman curled in a fetal position facing him.  She nuzzled her nose into the smooth seat, and looked at their hands.  Staring at it for a few moments, she sighed.  Then her free hand laid on top of the interlaced fingers.  Her hand stayed like that as she cocked her head to the side.

            “What’s wrong Gyuri?” Seungho worried.

            “Nothing.  I’m glad we are able to just hang out,” Gyuri smiled back at him, to reassure him.

            “We always get to hang out though.”

            She turned her head to the other side, “I know, but not a night to us.  We’re always working.”

            It was Seungho’s turn to sigh now, “Yeah… We only get to see each other when we’re working.  Besides  that, I just get a little emotional-”

            Sensing his frustration, Gyuri placed upper hand’s index finger on his plump lips, “Shh… I understand… I don’t want to do this too, but remember if it wasn’t for this job I wouldn’t have met you.”

            Even though Seungho knew the last part of the sentence was true, he was upset, “Can’t you quit though?  I can talk to-”

            “No, not now.  I still need to support my sister.”

            “You don’t need to do this.  I will support you and your sister.”

            “That’s the thing though, I don’t want you to.  When my parents died, I promised that I would be the one who cared for her,” Gyuri tried to explain it to him.  This was not the first time she had to tell him this, but sometimes he could be stubborn. 

            Realizing that he was acting like a bulldog again, he turned his head to her, “I know, but it bothers me that as your boyfriend.” He stopped and took a deep breath, “Sometimes I have to see these guys around you and it hurts because not only am I jealous, but they treat you like an object.”

            Unlike most girls, Gyuri was not offended to hear those words because they were right.  The truth was not easy, so she winced a bit.  However, she reluctantly accepted what she did.

            Seeing her pinched reaction, Seungho felt terrible for what he said.  Ridden with guilt, he brushed the strand of hair away from her face.  “I’m sorry for what I said.  It’s just that I’m irritated.”

            “You don’t need to apologize because I understand.  Besides let’s not get mad right now, since it’s one of the few breaks we actually have,” Gyuri smiled, showing off her dazzling pearly teeth.  “Didn’t you call me tonight because you wanted to show me your new car.”

            Relieved by her reaction, Seungho grinned back at her, “That’s true… I called you to show you this!”

            Suddenly the car quickly reversed and swished straight down the road.  Despite the speed of these actions, it was smooth for this was what Seungho excelled in.  Driving down the road, he showed signs on content.  Then he had a mischievous look.  Pushing down on the pedal, the car accelerated all alone on the empty street.  In the passenger’s seat, Gyuri was shocked at first and clenched onto her seat. 

            “Are you sure you want to do this,” Gyuri was nervous.

            Chuckling a bit, Seungho questioned, “You don’t think I’m a good driver?”

            “It’s not that, but what if you wreck the car? R-”

            “Don’t worry.  He won’t get mad because I won’t allow you to be injured.  Besides since I driven this car, have you seen me take my eyes off the road.  It’s also getting late, so I have to drop you off back home,” the speedy one questioned her.

            Trying to relax a bit, Gyuri eyed him, “Okay then…”

BEEP
            “Ughhh,” a soft moan came from the messy bed, where the beautiful Park Gyuri was hidden by the mountain of pillows and blankets.  Too lazy to shut off the annoying alarm, she grabbed one of her pillows and covered her head with it. 

BEEP

            “I don’t want to wake up!” she muffled through the pillow.  She laid there for a couple of minutes, trying to ignore the sounds.  However, like most alarm clocks, the sounds were too distinctly unstoppable.

BEEP

            Deciding that enough was enough, one hand travelled across the nightstand next to her bed.  Tired, but annoyed, the hand roamed around for that large black box that unleashed the morning terrors.  It first touched her compact, but she pushed it off the table, trying to look for her alarm clock.  Then her nail scratched what seemed like a button.  Hoping it was the dreaded clock, she cloaked her hand on top of the box.  Touching it and collecting on-hands data, she realized it was the alarm clock.  Once she finally found the sleep button, she was relived and went back to sleep.

RARRRRRRGHHHHH

            Gyuri’s eyes popped open, filled with fury.  Frustrated, she threw the pillow off her head, “JUST SHUT UP ALREADY!”

RARRRRRRGHHHHH

            This time Gyuri jumped out of bed and marched across the room.  In her tank tops and boxer with her messy hair, she looked like a madwoman.  She did not care though.  All she cared for was for some sleep.  Finally finding her phone, Gyuri shook the dreadful device until the alarm faded away.

            “I’m going to get those two for even getting this app on my phone,” she growled to herself.

            Relieved of all wake up devices, Gyuri walked back to bed.  However, she was not able to instantly return to slumber land like she hoped to.  Instead, she layed down and stared at the ceiling.   It then hit her.

            It had been a year since she had that memory.

            Two years ago, that memory would haunt Gyuri’s dreams.  The exact scene would run.  It used to play every night.  Then it played every few weeks.  Then every few months.  Before she knew it, it was gone.  The memory itself was not lost.  It just did not run anymore. 

            When she first had the dream, she would wake up in the middle of the night balling her eyes out.  A dark pain struck her heart that never seemed to end until she wept herself back to sleep.  Eventually the tears decreased.  The pain lessened.  There was still a tinge of hurt, but now she could live life.  It was evident when she reflected back on previous dream.

            This time, Gyuri woke up irritated, but happy.  It was more like a grateful feeling.  She was glad that she was able to have and remember fond memories of Seungho.  There were times when she was scared that she forgot about him.  However, that was impossible. 

            Deciding to finally get out of bed, Gyuri dragged herself out and walked to her dresser.  Before she picked any clothes, she looked at one of the picture frames.  Picking it up, she studied the image.  It was picture of happier times.  They kissed in front of a picture booth because at the time, they could not afford such luxuries.  Even though it was strange, they did not let it bring them down because what mattered was that they were with each other. 

 BING

            Hearing the message alert, Gyuri walked to her phone.  Then turning on the screen, she saw the happy face in front of the contact name.  It was her friend Seungyeon.  Happy that her friend messaged her, Gyuri immediately checked the text.

Do you want to stop by my place for some lunch?

            Reading this message made Gyuri hungry, so she immediately confirmed her attendance.  Once the message was sent, Gyuri turned her attention back to her dresser.  For today she needed two outfits, one for hanging outside and one for work.  Sure she planned on coming back home before work, but she wanted to decrease her prep time.  While looking through her closer, Gyuri remembered that Seungyeon was not the type of girl who expected people to dress up for her.  Then after a few jeans and shirts, Gyuri laid out a pair of tan shorts and a plain white t-shirt with a metal feather-shaped necklace.   

            Resting her index finger on her lips, Gyuri thought aloud, “Now I just need to pick the next one.”  She crooked her head, “Probably black… it’s his favorite color… Maybe with some pink… He sometimes wears that particular pink.”

            Even though she would not know of her schedule until later tonight, it was always the usual or similar.  Every night or two, her boss would ring her at 9:00 PM sharp.  They both knew what the discussion would be about.  Her best client Choi Seunghyun, who preferred to be called TOP, would let her know if he booked her or not.  If he did not phone in about an absence, sometimes he would personally stop by the club to retrieve her.  During those moments when he reserved her, whether in person or by telephone, Gyuri experienced the same emotions.  Her body would flutter.  The mind became light.  Her heart would heavy.  TOP kept Gyuri on her toes.  Not many had the ability to do so.

            There was nothing in her dresser, so she went to her jam packed closet.  Gyuri had every girl’s dream of owning many clothes, but it was not always her type of wardrobe.  Most of it was from various clients who liked to lavish her with gifts.  Shelves of shoes were neatly stacked on the floor of the closet.  From the infamous red bottom Christian Louboutins to vintage Manolos, almost any type of shoe could be found in this single area.  The possibilities of outfits were numerous with all the dresses and clothing she received.  Gyuri was ashamed that many of the outfits were received by men who were enraptured by their lust for her.  Despite TOP’s frequent appearances, there were lines of men who wanted Gyuri.  They knew of a certain man who grasped on to this beauty.  They tried to capture her from his hold.  They were not Choi Seunghyun.

            Looking through her closet, something popped up.  It seemed like as though an imaginary spotlight aimed at that certain area.  Listening to her gut feeling, Gyuri pushed away different dresses, blouses, and whatever was in her way.  After a few pushes there it was.  A simple, but complicated black piece.  Short in length, the dress allowed Gyuri to show off her slender desirable legs.  The v-neck cut tempted those around her, but the random strip of fabric across it shined a certain edginess to it.  What was interesting about the dress was that the right sleeve was long, but there was none of the other side.  This piece would keep TOP interested in her tonight.  After all he gave it to her.

            Then there was the undergarment.  She thought about red, but it was too recent.  Maybe leopard?  Something refreshing to wear…

RING

RING

            Gyuri quickly walked to her phone, not wanting to waste any time.  Then she answered the phone, “Hello Gyuri speaking.”

            “Oh good, you’re awake then.”

            Strange it was her boss calling her at noon.  For a moment she scratched her head, but cut to the chase, “What’s up?”

            “You’re already booked ,” her boss gave her the heads up.  It was weird.  She rarely was booked this early.

            “TOP called?” Gyuri was hoping that he called in earlier. 

            “No, but you’re assigned to someone else tonight,” the voice stated.  This was unusual.  TOP had dibs on her, even if he did not call earlier.  Sometimes there would be people who would try to reserve her days ahead of time, but they were denied.  If TOP did not call in by 9:00 PM, she would have another client set up instead.  For some reason, her clients were TOP and whoever was first on the waiting list that night.

            “What about TOP?” Gyuri was hoping for something to be thrown in her favor.  It had been three days since she last saw him.

            “It’s just one night.  Besides, the big guy personally called me to book this one.  It’s a favor for someone,” there was no concern for her best client.

            Hearing this, Gyuri sighed.  Sure she had her boss, but he was just one of the many underneath the main one.  While she was on the phone, Gyuri glanced at what was suppose d to be her outfit with TOP tonight.  Then sighing again, she wished that there would be a slim chance that the night would go her way.

-----

            Meanwhile on the other side of Seoul, Choi Seunghyun carefully stepped on the brake pedal of his steel-grey Pagani Zonda F as he made a sharp left turn around the corner.  Stealthy cruising down the street, TOP eyed the familiar neighborhood.  It was somewhat quiet lined up with similar buildings.  Most had similar brick lineups that were either white or red, along with signs that advertised businesses.  Older women would sell different produces that were just as good as the supermarket’s, but cheaper. During afternoons like this, there would be young children playing on the side of the streets or running over to each other’s places.  Due to the activity, TOP slowed his pace down this area which was a pain to him.  However, a few buildings later, he found what he was searching for.

            Nothing was special about the place.  In fact, from the outside it was quite sad.  It was an old large two story red brick building.  Many windows decorated the building, which allowed the sun to naturally light the place.  There were four wide garage doors that took up most of the building’s front.  Towards the corner of the place was a simple sign that said, “A Garage”.  Despite the simplicity and roughness, TOP was proud of this old thing.  It was his side business, aside from working for his family’s automaker company.  Something he could call his own.

            Entering the garage, TOP could instantly hear the loud hip hop music bursting through the vicinity.  Even though his window, the song was quite clear.  This was not TOP’s style of working.  Being stressed out from work was one thing.  However, adding nuisance and annoyance was the worst idea possible for a guy like him.

            Turning off the car, TOP gripped his hand on the wheel.  His thumb rapidly rubbed against the leather.  The surface was becoming warmer.  His breath was slightly shorter.  This continued for a minute.  Then his hands released their grip.  He took one deep breath.  He popped open the door.

            “WHY is the music so damn loud?” TOP’s voice boomed through the building.

            The volume went down.

            Two pairs of hands waved at TOP to grab his attention.  Both were tan and shorter than him.  One had a spiky black Mohawk and wore a white t-shirt with baggy jeans.  The other wore a navy top with cargo shorts with a dorky smile on.

            The dorkier one bellowed, “Sorry hyung, Tae and I were listening to a new album Jiyong produced.”

            “Fine then Dae.  Just don’t turn me deaf,” TOP snapped back.  “What are you two even doing?”

            Taeyang tried to calm down the cold one, “We were working on the Nissan’s engine, but Seungri wanted a break.”

            “Fine.  Where’s G?” TOP wanted to know every detail about his place.

            “Designing the interior for that guy’s car,” a new voice popped in.  There was Seungri strolling down the stairs with a Melona bar in hand.  “By the way are you going to race tonight?”

            “Yeah.  You guys going to join too?” TOP was preparing for tonight.  Every few nights or so, they would do some street racing.  It was for fun, but the money made it a bonus.

            Then a spiky blonde  head appeared from the couch, it was G-Dragon, or Kwon Jiyong.  Putting his sketch book aside, the fashionista walked towards his serious pal. “Oh course we are dude.  Besides we gotta test that Nissan’s engine.”

            “That is if we finish the checkup,” Taeyang hollered from the Nissan.

            “Seunghyun should see that thing.  After all he’s the one driving it and the best driver,” Seungri patted his friend on the should out of nowhere.  Then he pointed to Taeyang’s direction.

             TOP chuckled suddenly, “Okay then.  Let me look at the car.”

           

          

Hi everyone!  IChapter 2 was deleted this past week, so here's the reupdate.  I'm almost done with Chapter 3, so hopefully I can update later today or tomorrow.  

Also I'm sorry if I can't reply back to the earlier comments left for Chapter 2, since I can't exactly recollect what was written.  

However, thank you autumnX and AhnCheonsa for your past comments! What I do remember is smiling from reading them :)

I would also want to thank everyone else who has supported this story whether it's by reading, subscribing, and/or commenting!  It's awesome that you take your time for my stories :)