38

Project Wedding

Next day at school, I walked over to my locker to pull out some books. My vision was suddenly blocked by a pair of hands, almost making me jump in surprise. 

 

“Guess who?” a voice sang into my ear, their warm breath fanning down my neck. I could tell who it was straight away.

 

“Hmmm, could I have a clue?” I enquired obliviously. There was a low chuckle before words were spoken again. 

 

“Well, I happen to be very good looking, hot, great kisser. You think so too,” he explained. A tiny smile crept onto my lips making me bite down on them to stop it spreading across my face. I clicked my fingers and gasped comically.

 

“Jang Geun Suk!” I exclaimed. I could feel the person behind me tense up a bit in annoyance.

“What?” he said, releasing me and spinning me round to face him. Kris stood before me, sporting a frown on his face. “Jang Geun Suk? Are you saying you’ve kissed this guy before? Who is he even?” Kris demanded.

 

A giggle forced its way out of my mouth. “He’s an actor silly. And I may have kissed him once or twice in my head,” I mumbled the last bit under my breath buy Kris’ ears were sharp this morning.

 

He took liberty in drawing his hand back a bit and flicking me on my forehead, “Oi, I should be the only male occupying your brain.”

 

I reached up and squeezed his cheek whilst laughing at his dumbfounded expression. “Relax Kris; if it’s any consolation, you’re the only male that occupies my heart.”

 

I threw in a wink when I noticed the small radiance of pink on his cheeks and the goofy smile on his face. He lazily wrapped an arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer towards him to give a playful side hug. 

 

“Shut up, you’re so cheesy,” he muttered, pulling me along to my next class. I laughed at his reaction and comfortably fell into his steps. I had to say goodbye to him at the door of my class as we had different classes now. He leaned down and pecked the corner of my lips. I scoffed inwardly, the tease.

 

I settled into my seat and got my books out. A classmate of mine rushed towards my desk, squatting in front of it.

 

“Are you dating Kris Wu?” she whispered, glancing back at the front to check if the teacher had arrived yet. A light blush sneaked up my neck, giving away my answer. She gasped momentarily before giggling. 

 

“I’ll take that as a yes!” Her expression quickly dropped, “But I thought he was dating that Chinese exchange student...”

 

She looked extra closely at me. Before she could say another word, the teacher waltzed into the classroom. She ran off to her desk, not before giving me one more curious look. As school went on I couldn’t help but feel that more and more people were looking at me.

 

Was there something weird on my face? Or did they know some deep dark secret about me? I was beginning to feel very paranoid and I could hardly dismiss the feeling with few words from my conscience. 

 

Before going off to lunch, I made another trip to my locker to store my books away. There was more hushed whispering on cue whenever I walked past people. Maybe it just a coincidence.

 

I neared closer to my locker and more and more people were watching intently. I recognised why when I looked at my locker. It was tainted with swear words and parts of the door looked punched in. I continued to stare at it in disbelief, feeling my mouth go very dry and my eyes prick lightly.

 

There was an uprising of whispering, though I could make out a few words like, “home wrecker” and “back stabber”. I pulled myself together, keeping my head held high and opened my locker like I was going to.

 

My locker however was stuffed with small pieces of paper, all scribbled with nasty messages. I couldn’t understand what was going on. I don’t think I’ve ever experienced anything like this in my entire school life.

 

Where did all these people find the time to vandalise my locker? And why the hell would they? I breathed in deeply and put my books away without another thought. I closed the locker up but it took a bit of effort and was going to walk towards the lunch hall but was stopped by the same girl that talked to me in class. 

 

She looked around carefully, "There's a rumour about you. Apparently you stole Kris from the Chineses chick, is that true?"

 

I looked at her with wide eyes, feeling upset, guilty and angry all at the same time. I frowned furiously, "Of course not!"

 

I didn't mean to snap but I couldn't help it. I walked around her, feeling more aware of what these people were saying about me. They were calling me all sorts of horrible names. I froze in steps as my eyes met Mei Lien. She scowled at me scornfully before whipping her head in another direction and walking away from me.

 

"Mei Lien!" I shouted out. She stopped walking and turned to face me with an unbothered expression. There still a good couple of feet between us. Students all around stopped their activities and listened in.

 

"Did you do this?" I asked, gesturing my hands all around me at the people's disgusted faces. She shrugged her shoulders. "You've got what was coming for you. I have nothing to say to you," Mei dismissed. She continued to walk away from me, leaving me in the hall with all the suffocating stares. 

 

I tried ignoring them but it's easier said than done.

 

"Hyesu!" 

 

My name was called by Kris. My head turned to look at him and I felt a wave of despair run through me. He ran up to meet me but something in me switched. I turned away from him and ran. I ran away from him even as he continued to call my name. I knew it was only a matter of time before he caught up with me. A pair of arms captured my waist, pulling me against his hard chest.

 

"Hey, why are you running?" he asked softly. He must have heard the rumours now so what was the point of asking?

 

I was spun around to face him; my face was buried into his chest and my arms wound their way around Kris. I felt him a hand down my hair soothingly to comfort me. We stayed like that for a while before Kris pulled back a bit to see my face.

 

A few tears had managed to set free but he made no fuss over it when he saw me quickly wipe my cheeks and avoid his eyes. Suddenly I felt his lips descend onto mine. We kissed lovingly, lips moving slowly and sensuously. Our heads moved apart and he nipped at my lips sneakily.

 

"I forgot to tell you that you are the only one that occupies my heart, so just forget whatever these pathetic, bored people are saying and remember at you have a fantastic boyfriend who is not only easy on the eyes, but completely crazy about you." Kris finished off with a boyish grin. He managed to make me giggle a bit and put a smile on my face.

 

I sniffed before jumping up to kiss him shortly, "I'm crazy about you too"

 

We hugged once more, him burying his head in the crook of my neck and me wriggling from the ticklish sensations he gave me.