32

Project Wedding

 

Kris brows met in the middle, creating deep creases in his forehead. A confused frown decorated his face. At first he was hesitant in making his way out of the tent, but he did so anyway. Even if he had stayed, I know I wouldn’t back down.

“He’s gone.” Min announced, “Are you going to tell me what’s on your mind?”

I sighed loudly and slid down on to my sleeping bag, feeling the slinky polyester slip beneath my back as I shrugged. “I don’t know what’s in my head anymore. I do like Kris. He’s handsome, makes me laugh and there’s just something about him that attracts me to him” I explained.

Min settled down beside me, crossing her legs in the process and propping her elbows at her knees so she could cradle her head in her hands. “And so the girlfriend is obviously a big problem” Min finished.

“Obviously” I echoed her, staring up at the roof of the tent. I turned to her a smiled. “You and Chanyeol seem to be getting cosy” I teased.

Min’s nose wrinkled up and she shook her head to make her dark locks cover her blushing face. “We’re not here to talk about me Hyesu” She whined. I turned away, still amused by her reaction.

“But if you must know,” She carried on, “We might have kissed...”

My head snapped in her direction, “Might have?”

“Okay, so we did. It wasn’t a big deal!” She tried to wave away the revelation she had sprung upon me. I raised an eyebrow at her, “Judging by the deep red hue of your face, I’m guessing it was a big deal. So tell me, did it set your heart on fire? Is he the one?”

Min shoved my shoulder, laughing at my over exaggerated response. “Do you think Kris is the one?” she said softly.

I smile dropped and I went back to looking at the roof of the tent, staring very confusedly at it.

 I needed to tell her.

“I think Jiho likes me” I stated. I dared to look at her face. Her eyes were bulged out in surprise and wide enough to net in a whole swarm of flies.

“Don’t lie!” Min burst out. When I said nothing in response, she continued to stare at me in astonishment. “Are you sure?” She asked, looking very serious.

My lip twisted to the side. “Er, yeah...he might have kissed me”

Min looked even more horrified. “Might have?” she imitated what had said earlier.

“He did” I confirmed. “And Kris saw and I saw him kiss Mei Lien and everything’s a mess. Kris says he likes me and he’s going to break up with her properly this time...but can I really trust he will?”

Min heaved a breath of air and slapped her hands against her cheeks. “Wow Hyesu, how are you attracting all these men your way?” she asked, disbelief was across her face.

I scoffed down a laugh and rolled my eyes. “What can I say? I’m bloody gifted in the arts of Luring Males.”

It was quiet now. We didn’t speak for a while. I glanced at Min, who looked struck with conflict. I watched curiously before she finally met my gaze. I looked at her expectantly, waiting for her to spit out whatever was on her mind.

“So don’t start thinking things because appearances can be deceiving, okay?” She paused, and waited for me to acknowledge what she said. I nodded to give her a signal that she could continue.

“Before I found you in the woods, Mei Lien was literally fleeing the tents in tears. I mean, she was like a wailing banshee, wracked in sobs and demanding she be put in the other campsite” Min exclaimed. I supposed that her description was a bit over the top.

I stared for a bit, wondering if Kris had really broken up with Mei. “No I don’t think so” I finally commented.

Min looked bewildered for a second and conversed as if she knew what I was thinking about. “What do you mean? It’s exactly that! Shouldn’t you be parading around by now in absolute happiness?” She called out.

I groaned loudly, rolling over so my face sunk into my pillow. “Okay, so maybe he did. What do I do now?” I asked, my voice muffled and distorted by the cushion.

“Idiot, you go speak to him!” She pushed me at the sides so I rolled over again. “Now please!”

I wondered if she was being serious but she did not budge from her instruction so I stood up and left the tent, only to be met by another ghastly sight.

Kris and Jiho were ferociously glaring at each other, and before I could even say a thing, Kris’ arm rose up and throttled in the direction of Jiho’s cheek. I gasped loudly, my hands clasping over my mouth. Jiho stumbled; there was a growing raw, pink mark at his cheek bone that looked incredibly painful.

Jiho wasted no time and threw himself in Kris’ direction. The two boys plummeted to the ground. Jiho raised a fist and it came down hard at Kris’ face; even with Kris trying hard to dodge it, it hit him.

“Stop!” I screamed, helplessly ruffling up my hair in absolute anguish. “For god’s sake, get off him!”

I looked around. The fight had caught a camp warden’s attention and he rushed over as the two boys were rolling in the dirt. He pulled the two apart, with a furious expression.

“I don’t know what you two boys think you’re playing at but another episode like this then I’ll be forced to send you back home!” The warden threatened as he held them by the scruff.

They both received a bit of damage to the face. This was really getting out of hand. Why on Earth would they be fighting with one another? I just hoped it had nothing to do with me...

“Oh my goodness! Kris!” Mie Lien came rushing over, cupping Kris’ face to examine the bruises and cuts. Something inside me twisted severely to make me feel sick.

Kris’ head dodge away from Mei Lien. She bit down on her lip to stop her trembling lip. “Kris, don’t be like this. Let’s go back to Beijing and we can start afresh. We’ll forget everything here and just go, please” Mei Lien begged.

Kris massaged his temples and edged away from her. He stared at me longingly for a good couple of seconds before turning on his heel sharply and headed towards the lake we had earlier made an accidental dive in.

Mei Lien pursed her lips and turned to look at me as Kris’ became a shadowy, dark figure against the setting sun. Her eyes were teary and accusing.

“This is your fault!” She cried out before stomping away. I turned my head towards Jiho but he was already slipping inside the tent. He was supposed to be my friend and he was giving me the cold shoulder. I turned my head in the direction that Kris had walked off to.

I wanted to make sure both Jiho and Kris were okay. But I couldn’t exactly be in two places at once, could I?

My feet shuffled hesitantly, before taking strides in my chosen direction.



 

She has to only choose one...

Who shall it be??

 

I'm curious; who do you want her to choose?