Start Again

So this is Love

“A date?” Hyoyeon asked through the mouthful of rice she’d just eaten.

“Yeah, apparently the PR team want to solidify the image that you two are a couple,” Junseo said.

Hyoyeon chewed slowly, “But we did the TV appearance…”

Junseo nodded in understanding, “So you don’t want to?”

Hyoyeon was shaking her head even before she knew she’d come to a decision, “It’s not that. It’s just unexpected…I don’t mind…I guess.”

Junseo gave her an appraising look before speaking, “Well, you two decide where you want to go but it has to be somewhere open and with many people around, we need as much exposure as possible. Take a few selcas that you can upload onto your minihompy.”

Hyoyeon nodded at each instruction in turn all the while wondering when preparing for a date had begun to need a strategy meeting to be called beforehand. She dismissed the thought. This wasn't like the time before their debut and it wasn't even real, it was all staged for a purpose. A strategy had to be had. And yet her heart couldn't stop fluttering at the idea that they would actually be going on a date.

“How does Siwon feel about this whole idea by the way?” she asked.

“Hm…I don’t know. But he’s already agreed to it if that’s any indication. Why?”

“Just curious, I mean it would be awkward if he wasn’t pleased with the idea.”

“I don’t think that’d ever be a problem,” Junseo said absently.

“What do you mean by that?”

Junseo started and pulled at the collar of his button up shirt, “Just an impression I get.”

“Right…”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hyoyeon rolled over onto her stomach and reached for her cell phone on the bedside table. It was close to midnight and she wondered who could be calling so late, all the girls were in the dorm, either sleeping or in the living room talking. Seohyun was sleeping soundly in her bed, buried under covers and throw pillows.

Her heart skipped a beat as soon as she read the caller ID. It was Siwon. When was the last time she’d received a text message from him let alone a call? She remembered that he had sent her a few messages once before but things had been quite strained between them at the time and she hadn’t known how to reply.

The phone vibrated almost insistently in her hand.

“Hello?” she whispered, holding the speaker close to .

“Hey…it’s me, Siwon,” he paused, “…I didn’t wake you did I?”

“No, you didn’t wake me,” she replied.

Hyoyeon stood up and retreated to the ensuite bathroom in the room she shared with Seohyun. Whether her retreat was so her talking wouldn’t wake Seohyun or because she wanted privacy she couldn’t be sure.

“I guess you heard about PR’s decision…us going on a few dates?” he asked.

“Yeah I did…I thought going on Come to Play would be enough…”

There was a long pause on Siwon’s end.

“So you don’t want to?” he finally spoke.

This was the second time someone had asked her that. She shook her head then remembering that he couldn’t see she replied, her voice louder than she had intended, “It’s not that. I want to!” she lowered her voice, “I just thought it was rather sudden. But if it’ll help with our credibility I want to do it.”

Siwon sighed, “Yeah, credibility… me too.”

Another long awkward pause pregnant with unsaid thoughts followed before Hyoyeon spoke, “Have you thought of where we could go?”

“That’s actually why I called. We finish recording for the new album’s main tracks tomorrow afternoon so I’ll have some free time later. I thought we could go for dinner or a movie or …something, around 7?”

The words were out before she could stop them, “Just like the old days.”

Siwon laughed and when he spoke his voice seemed lighter, “Yeah just like the old days. Dinner and a movie then?”

Hyoyeon paused for a moment before replying, “Sounds good.”

“It’s a date then. Goodnight…”

“Goodnight.”

“Sweet dreams Hyo.”

“…you too Siwon,” she replied.

“Thanks…”

Hyoyeon gave a nervous laugh, “Uh…see you tomorrow.”

“…I can’t wait to see you.”

Hyoyeon started in surprise and a shiver ran down her spine. Not just at the words but the way he had said them had caught her off guard. What should she say in reply to that? What could she say? She looked up into the bathroom mirror to find her cheeks were flushed and a faint smile was tugging at the corners of her lips. That simple statement, that small little line...why could he still do that to her? Before she could reply though, he spoke.

“I just wanted to see how that would sound out loud…”

Her expression in the mirror immediately changed and she refused to admit that the pang of something in her chest was disappointment.

She laughed, awkwardly, “Well…if that’s all…I have to get to bed now,” her voice sounded cold and detached instead of bright and amused as she had hoped for.

She disconnected the call even before he finished saying goodnight.

Seohyun’s sleepy face peeked out from under the covers of her bed, “Who called?” she asked groggily.

Hyoyeon slipped into bed, “Just someone…”

“Siwon?”

“Yeah…sorry if I woke you. Go back to sleep,” she clicked the bedside lamp switch casting the room into darkness.

Seohyun yawned, “Goo’ night.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘I just wanted to see how that would sound out loud…’ Siwon groaned and tossed his phone onto his bed as his words came back to haunt him. Why had he said that? Why? He flopped down onto his bed and beat his fists into the mattress. He knew why. He’d panicked. When she hadn’t replied…he’d felt as though someone had just knee-ed him in the gut.

“I said it because I meant it,” he muttered into his pillow.

Was this how it was going to be with them? One step forward and then two back?

‘I like you, I want to be with you,’ he’d never had any trouble saying that to the women he’d dated before but with Hyoyeon every conversation felt like he was walking into a hot zone. Landmines of misunderstanding and flying bullets of wrongly timed words.

They weren’t kids anymore. He sat up in his bed. He wasn’t a kid anymore. The only doubts that held him back from telling Hyoyeon how he honestly felt were based on how unsure he was of her feelings for him. But the kiss on the hotel rooftop in Jeju was proof that she felt something.

Yes, there was no way she didn’t feel at least something for him. And with that conviction in mind he closed his eyes and went to sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“We’re going out for dinner to celebrate wrapping the recording for the 6th album,” Eunhyuk said, “You coming along?”

Siwon shook his head as he shrugged on his coat, “Sorry but I already have plans.”

Eunhyuk smiled slyly, “What kind of plans?”

Siwon chuckled, “Not those kinds of plans.”

“Tell me...”

“I can’t. It’s a secret.”

“Come on tell me. I won’t tell a soul.”

Siwon shook his head, “You’d tell Donghae and we both know he’s too easy to keep anything a secret for long. Sunwoo would have it out of him in seconds.”

“Oh? So it’s something you don’t want Sunwoo to find out about?”  Eunhyuk’s eyes narrowed suspiciously.

“Ah, I’ve said too much,” Siwon winked, “See you later.”

Eunhyuk stared after Siwon. How long had it been since he’d seen his friend look that happy? Weeks? Months? Probably longer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Hyoyeon arrived at the Cineplex she thought she’d read Siwon’s text message wrong. She checked the message again.

6:30pm CGV theatre Myeongdong, See you there.

Well she was at the CGV theatre in Myeongdong and it was five minutes to half past six but the entire place was deserted. There were only two staff members present, both quite uncharacteristically, were dressed formally. They’d welcomed her, informed her that the movie would start in about fifteen minutes and then asked her what snacks she’d like to have. Snacks that had names she couldn’t even pronounce and were hardly like the pop corn and cola you normally got at the cinema.

Feeling a little flustered and confused she’d told them she’d wait until Siwon arrived to make a decision and so for the following quarter of an hour she’d amused herself walking up and down the empty gallery studying the movie posters on the wall and occasionally talking to the two staff members who she discovered were not actual workers at CGV but hired from a catering company.

She was studying a poster for a new American super hero flick when two hands went over her eyes. Warm and familiar, even if she hadn’t been expecting him she’d have known the feel of his hands anywhere. She pulled his hands away gently and turned to face him.

He smiled, “Sorry I’m late, I was supposed to be here when you arrived but I got caught up trying to shake some reporters and fans that seemed quite keen to find out where I was headed.”

“That’s okay,” she replied, she cast a hasty glance around, “I thought I’d come to the wrong place when I arrived. Why is this place so empty?” she asked.

Siwon winked, and then leaned close and whispered conspiratorially, “I may have booked the entire place for us…”

“What?” she exclaimed.

The CGV in Myeongdong specifically was notoriously popular, tickets were almost always sold out for the Friday shows and on many other days if a big release was out, reservations were often needed if you hoped to make a movie. And he’d booked the entire place! She hadn’t thought that SM was that bent on selling the whole couple idea. And she told him as much.

“Well they aren’t…I booked it,” he replied.

Her eyes widened in surprise,“Really?”

He nodded, “I thought it would be hard for us if we had a packed cinema full of moviegoers ogling at us, so I called the manager, told him I wanted to book the place and after some persuasion he agreed.”

Hyoyeon looked around again, it all felt so dreamlike, being here in this place alone, or rather very nearly alone with Siwon on a pretend date. A seemingly private pretend date that the more she thought about it was feeling more and more real, just like the good old days, with no prying eyes wanting to know what they were up to. No managers and handlers, just the two of them.

“Come on, what do you want to watch, apparently they let you pick anything you want when they give you the run of the place,” he pulled her towards the counter where the two waiters were standing, “I had a catering service bring in some food for us, French, in honour of the beginning of the true blossoming of your celebrity.”

Hyoyeon could only smile. This really was like the good old days. With Siwon it was always about the little things, the secret meanings to all the things he did. He didn’t just get you a bouquet of flowers, he got you a bouquet of your favourite flower in multiples of your favourite number in your favourite colour, from your favourite flower shop.

After they’d made their choices they went to the screen that had been left operating for them. The projectionist gave them a rundown of the movies that were currently out and those that had been released a little earlier. After they’d decided on what to watch they took their seats in a love seat midway from the screen with plenty of space to allow for their food to be set up later.

A memory of one of their movie dates back in Beijing flashed to the fore. Much like now the theatre then had been very nearly empty as they’d gone on a Wednesday afternoon. The privacy of the dark hall, the closeness offered by the loveseat they’d sat in, the sweet scent of his cologne had served to make the experience one she’d never managed to forget, she blushed at the turn her thoughts had taken.

As though reading her mind, Siwon turned to her, “What thoughts are you thinking Kim Hyoyeon?”

Her face grew even warmer.

Hyoyeon knew he was teasing but just like that time back then at the language school she bristled, “I’m not thinking anything indecent,” she replied,

Oh? I didn’t mention anything about indecent thoughts...now I’m feeling even more vulnerable. Just because we’re sitting all alone in this dark hall don’t think about pulling anything,” he clasped his arms over his chest.

Hyoyeon stifled the laugh that bubbled up in her at his pose then shook her head, “I was just wondering how many of the girls you’ve dated have had the honour of being treated this way.”

Siwon's arms fell back to his sides and he cocked his head to the side, “Are you curious?” he asked.

She turned to face the blank cinema screen, “Not really…” she lied.

To be honest the question had been on her mind and though she hadn’t intended on asking it somehow she’d blurted it out. All these years, unlike herself, Siwon had dated and been in relationships, all carried on in secret of course but being who she was she had been privy to most of them. And she’d always wanted to know how he was with those other girls. It was sad…she knew that but it was also human wasn’t it?

 “Are you sure?” he asked, the teasing in his voice only stiffened her resolve.

“It’s all in the past right?”

His tone changed, “Is it really that simple?”

She looked at him. He was doing that thing again, even in the dim lighting in the cinema she could feel his unwavering gaze on her, trying to read her.

“Isn’t it?” she countered.

Before he could reply though, the waiters from the catering service came into the hall each balancing trays of the foods the two had chosen earlier. Prettily presented and delicious looking assorted amuse-bouche some made of juicy chicken, tender succulent looking beef, crispy fish and a variety of crispy fresh vegetables were revealed to them and once the waiters had set up the meal on a small foldable table they excused themselves leaving them alone once again.

The lights in the cinema went off and the screen flickered to life. The usual adverts and trailers began to stream. Siwon ignored them and turned to Hyoyeon.

“Is the past really that forgettable to you?” Siwon asked.

Hyoyeon set the paprika garnished cucumber wrapped cheese back down on the platter.

“It’s not forgettable, I just don’t see the point in rehashing it,” she replied evading his pointed look.

“So you’re not at all curious if you’re the only girl I’ve ever reserved an entire theatre complex for?”

Hyoyeon paused, she didn’t know if it was the darkness or the fact that they were for the first time truly alone but some of her reserve fell away and she didn’t feel the need to hold her cards so tightly to her chest, “I am curious,” she added, “I think I’m just a little afraid of the answer.”

“Afraid?” he asked. “Afraid of what?”

He felt his heart beat quicken. Afraid that he’d done the same for someone else? That he’d gone so far to impress some other girl? If that was what she was afraid of it would only confirm that she still felt something for him, something more than just physical desire, which he already had proof she felt.

Hyoyeon popped the cucumber wrap into and chewed thoughtfully. She had to consider her options carefully, just like Seohyun had advised, knowing that her answer would put her in a vulnerable position by revealing insecurities she’d worked so long and hard to conceal.

She couldn’t do it, she couldn’t answer honestly. But something in Siwon’s voice spoke to her and after she took a deep breath she replied.

“Afraid that this isn’t you being sincere, that it’s just a game. Afraid that this isn’t the first time you’ve gone all out to impress someone…that wasn’t me…”

Even though the current trailer playing was for some loud action packed block buster it felt as though the silence between them stretched completely and endlessly.

At last Siwon spoke, “You’re the only girl I’ve ever booked an entire Cineplex for Kim Hyoyeon and probably the only girl I’d ever do it for…”

A tentative smile lit her features, “Really?”

Siwon smiled. The last wall that had stood between them seemed to crumble away in an instant.

“Yes really, silly,” he lightly tapped the top of her head.

They sat in contemplative silence for a moment. The movie screen went blank momentarily before the intro for the movie began. The quiet offered as the names of the cast flashed on screen and a classical tune played in the background offered Siwon the opportunity he needed to confirm his intentions with Hyoyeon. This wasn’t the most romantic or appropriate of places but it was the most private and it would have to do.

“I know things have been weird these past few months and awkward at best before that but my feelings for you haven’t ever changed…not once.”

He shifted his whole body in the seat so that he was facing her then leaned forward, placed his hands on her shoulders and turned her so that she was also facing him.

“I know it’s hard to believe, there were so many times over the years I wanted to run to you and tell you how I really felt, how much I regretted my decision back in Beijing but there just never seemed a right time. And we grew…”

“More distant” she finished for him.

He nodded, “And I tried to forget you and us…”

“But you couldn’t.”

“And when I tried to convince myself that I didn’t need you, that I could move on but no one felt as right as you did. There was no one I cared about or trusted as much as I care for and trust you,” he paused, “It took some time to realise that. Hell, it took a whole lot of time but I’m here now. I want us to start again.”

Hyoyeon only looked at him, her expression unreadable and her gaze not quite hard or soft, just intense. Then just when he thought that it was really too late for them she launched into his arms hugging him close to her. He wrapped his arms around her waist and held her to him breathing her in, relief and happiness no, joy…bliss…unbridled delight coursing through him.

“You’re the only boy I’d reserve an entire Cineplex for too,” she whispered pressing a kiss to his lips.

They both laughed still hugging each other close.