It's in the air

The Chronicles of Neverland

Once upon a time, there was a calm land called Neverland. It was a country with a beautiful landscape, flamingos flying at the sky above it, the waves of the sea peacefully washing the boats and ships at the harbors...

 

“YAH, Kim Jaeseop!” was heard as a flying rag hit the head of the mentioned red-haired pirate boy sleeping in a net stretched between two pillars on the deck.

 

“YAH, Jung Hyona! I've told you countless times not to annoy me!” he snapped at the girl who had disturbed him. “And! You're younger than me, why are you calling me my name?”

 

“Umm, sorry... oppa?” she made a puppy face and moved closer, only to slap his arm later. “Did you think I would be like that?”

 

“Forget it, you calling me oppa sounds creepy...” he remarked and failed to notice the girl's little frown.

 

“What should I call you then? Noona?

 

“You wanna die?!” he took a deep breath. “Whatever, I don't care anymore... why are you even here on my father's ship?”

 

“I'm mad at you!”

 

“What now?” he rolled his eyes.

 

“Why didn't you notice me that you guys were going fishing this morning? You know I love fishing! I just woke up now and you're already back and resting!”

 

“Why should I notice you about that? You think you can just go anywhere simply because you want to? Besides, we're not even friends or anything...” he lazily responded, ignoring the girl's outburst.

 

“Whatever!” she snapped at him and started walking away.

 

As Jaeseop – or AJ, since he rarely used his real name now – sat down and was about to lie down to sleep again, another figure arrived on the deck. As he saw her approach, he got a feeling he's not getting any more sleep.

 

“Young master, your father wants to see you,” said the light-haired fairy in a calm voice. He sighed.

 

“I get no rest, really,” he remarked and reluctantly got up and left for his father's cabin.

 

The girl watched him as he left and then looked at the mess before starting to clean it. She was one of those fairies that were born in the pirates' captivity. She had been separated from her parents ages ago and served under different pirate families before being “given” to the owner of this boat not a long time ago. Well, this boat and many other boats. Because Captain Mordney is one of the most powerful pirates in Neverland.

 

But she never complained. If they didn't go overboard, that is. She didn't know anything else but captivity and unlike the majority of fairies, she's always been a loyal and obedient servant. AJ sometimes wondered how a girl like that could exist and if she really had no self-esteem or desire to be free.

 

“Shinmi-yah, did they order you to clean it or are you just doing it on your own again?” asked a curious voice behind her back. It was Giyeon, another fairy serving the Captain. But she, on the other hand, was never contented with this kind of life.

 

“Well,” Shinmi paused as she realized it, “I just did it automatically,” she said and gave a nervous laugh. “But isn't this our job, to make sure the deck and cabins are always clean?” The other girl just facepalmed.

 

“How typical of you,” she said, “just leave it and wait for them to order you to do it. You're free now, aren't you? Come with me to have some rest.”

 

“But, Giyeon-ah...” she looked back at the half-cleaned mess. “Okay...”

 

 

 

AJ, on the other hand, was not going to rest for a while.

 

“You wanted to see me, father?”

 

“That's right, Jaeseop-ah,” Captain Mordney said and motioned at the chair in front of his desk. AJ sat down and waited.

 

“The next week we are going to, how to call it, a little battle.” AJ raised an eyebrow. “And you are going to take part in it,” Captain continued.

 

“What?”

 

“No objections. It was an announcement, not a suggestion. You need to learn things like this, one day, you'll take over my position and I want you to continue it well.”

 

“I know, I know... I don't need to hear the same story a thousand times,” AJ knew he had no choice but to stop caring about it and just give in. He did hate the other crews, naturally, because it was a pirate's nature and also they did a lot of wrong things to his crew in the past. He just didn't care enough to engage in a battle. But for his father, he was going to participate now. At least he'll learn something new... right?

 

 

 

On the other side of the sea, in a different harbor, a similar conversation took place.

 

“Eli, our spies notified me that Captain Mordney is planning to attack us next week. We will have to prepare and do our best – not to defend ourselves – but to crush them,” Captain Hook informed his son. “I want you to participate as well.”

 

“Is it necessary, father?”

 

“Yes. I heard Captain Mordney is bringing his son as well this time. Your chance to meet your rival. Because you two are the ones who will rule the seas after your fathers have retired. If we don't get rid of them anytime soon.”

 

“I understand, father.”

 

Eli respected his father very much. Since he was a child, he was being prepared for the time when he will take over his father's position and he never even thought if he wanted to do it or not. After he's finished talking to his father, he got up and left.

 

“Captain's acting as if he was his-” said one of the guards in front of the Captain's cabin.

 

“Shut up before you regret it,” the other one cut him off.

 

 

 

Deep in inland, there was a calm place, where lost boys, babies from Earth who got lost and eventually drifted to Neverland, where they grew up, lived.

 

“Soohyun hyung, look what I can do if I drink this potion!” Kiseop exclaimed and drank the potion he had made from magical plants. He took watches and crushed them into dust.

 

“Wohooo, this could be really useful!” Soohyun praised his dongsaeng.

 

“But it only lasts for approximately 20 minutes,” Kiseop frowned.

 

“Kiseop-ah, what did you do to my watches?” Hoon exclaimed when he finally reached the two older boys.

 

“Hehe...” he laughed nervously.

 

“Anyway, good job, Kiseop. Your potions are great,” Soohyun said. “By the way, has anyone heard about Dongho recently?” he asked and the two other boys shook their heads.

 

“No one ever knows what he's up to or where he is... he comes when he wants to and disappears when he wants to,” Hoon remarked. He was right. Dongho was a very mysterious person and no one knew his age nor where he came from. But everyone knew he was a good person and definitely a big help to those in need and even the king. But he still always did what he wanted to do. A bit childish, wasn't he? Well, he claims that he wants to stay a child. No matter how weird he was, all the good creatures in Neverland loved him.

 

“True. But he's not showed up for a bit too long, don't you think?”

 

“Don't be worried about Dongho. He can get out of any trouble. He's probably just busy with something,” Kiseop assured him.

 

“Sometimes I wonder what he's doing all the time... The only thing we know is that without him, Neverland would be probably a mess,” Hoon wondered.

 

“He'll show up eventually,” Kiseop ended the discussion.

 

 

 

The royal family resided in a beautiful castle in the inland. There was a garden, which was not frozen, with many types of exotic flowers. The princess was very beautiful and kind and polite to everyone. But the king's biggest trouble was what will happen to the throne when he retires. His only son, the father of princess Namjung, has died many years ago and so has his wife, Namjung's mother. The tradition says that the eldest son will take over the position of the king and it didn't say anything about women being a possible candidate for that. Even if it was the case, Namjung had no desire to rule Neverland.

 

“Grandfather, I have returned,” said the young princess.

 

“Namjung-ah, I'm your gradpa... you don't have to talk so formally to me,” the old man smiled when he saw his beautiful grand-daughter.

 

“Okay, I know... I'm home... grandpa,” she smiled and came to give him a hug.

 

'What will happen to my precious Namjung when I'm gone?' the king thought silently as he watched the top of her head while hugging her.

 

Suddenly something flied inside through the open window. Well, someone, actually. The two royal family members got a bit shocked, but calmed down when they saw who it was. In front of them, there was standing a boy, appearing 180 years old (which would correspond to 18 years old on Earth), with dark hair falling to his eyes. The king smiled.

 

“Dongho-yah, how nice to see you again! What brings you here?”

 

“I haven't be here for a long time, have I? I see that nothing has changed... Not sure how long it will last though,” Dongho said.

 

“What do you mean?” Namjung asked.

 

“There's something about to happen. I feel it. It's in the air.”

 


Here it is... well, this is new for me, I mean writing something with a plot about fights for power (♫ we got the POWEEER... haha, sorry) and so on. I don't know why, but I just had to write the story though. The concept has been in my head for months. Well, there are going to be romantic plots as well :) And I feel kind of bad after my exams (I mean, I passed, but I just can't think straight), so I need to focus on something and distract myself. I hope I won't disappoint those who expect great fic from the foreword.