Chapter 6

Against All Odds

1 WEEK LATER-3 WEEKS BEFORE THE SHOWCASE

Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk occupied one dance studio, Eunhyuk carrying Hyoyeon’s things—laptop, speakers, headphones.

“Aigoo! Your things are heavy!” Eunhyuk complained as he put Hyoyeon’s things on the floor.

“Then you shouldn’t have offered to help,” Hyoyeon pouted.

“I was just joking,” he pinched Hyoyeon’s cheek, then he started to stretch. “Shall we start?” he asked.

“MWOH?!” I haven’t even started mixing yet! We haven’t even decided on our whole concept yet! I still don’t even know what—“

“Hyoyeon-ssi?” Eunhyuk tried to calm her down.

The panicking Hyoyeon looked at Eunhyuk, “Neh?”

“Then let me hear some of your previous mixes,” Eunhyuk said.

“MWOH?! SHIRHEOYO! NO!” Hyoyeon refused.

“Waeyo?”

“You might not like it!”

“Oh come on, try me,” Eunhyuk winked.

“But—”

“Please, Hyoyeon-ssiiiii~ Pleeeeease~”

Hyoyeon sighed and said, “Just promise me: NO BASHING!”

“I promise.”

Hyoyeon sat on the floor and her laptop. She then plugged in the speakers & started clicking things. She breathed in deeply and played a track. Hyoyeon whispered, “Here it goes..” She covered her ears and closed her eyes in fear that Eunhyuk will make fun of it or might not like it. After a few seconds, she peeked with one eye and saw Eunhyuk listening intently. Motionless.

Hyoyeon stopped the music.

Eunhyuk suddenly looked at her and said, “Play it again.”

“But--”

“Please.”

Hyoyeon sighed and once again, she gave up to Eunhyuk’s request.

When Hyoyeon’s music started playing again, Eunhyuk did the most shocking but wonderful thing (as Hyoyeon saw it in this very moment)—HE DANCED.

Hyoyeon watched while this boy danced in front of the mirrors. His dance moves were so strong and powerful but he danced it ever so gracefully. Hyoyeon could only stop and stare and this moment was extra special for her because it was her music that Eunhyuk is dancing to—he’s dancing to her music.

As Eunhyuk continued moving his body this way and that way, he totally forgot about almost everything. Well, almost..because he did not, even for a single second, forget that Hyoyeon was there, watching him. He let his ears be filled by music—Hyoyeon’s music.

IT’S AS IF FOR A MOMENT, THE TWO WERE ALONE IN A FARAWAY WORLD THAT ONLY THE TWO OF THEM EVER KNEW.

As Hyoyeon marveled over Eunhyuk’s explosive dance moves, she cannot help but to be envious of him. She felt a deep longing to have the courage to dance again. To be free like Eunhyuk. To dance like there’s no tomorrow. To dance with Euhyuk..but she’s still hurt and admittedly, she still hasn’t moved on from her breakup with Junho. Hyoyeon was so carried away by all her thoughts & all her emotions that she did not hear her music had ended already.

“Wow!” Eunhyuk said as he gasped for air—tired from dancing.

“Yeah. Wow..”

“I guess we’re quits now.”

Hyoyeon tilted her head to the side on confusion.

Eunhyuk clarified, “I heard your music. You saw me dance.”

Hyoyeon could only nod and stare,

“Yah, Hyoyeon-ssi?” Eunhyuk waved his hands in front of Hyoyeon’s face and asked, “Did you hear me?”

Hyoyeon just kept on nodding and staring.

Eunhyuk smiled and joked, “Do I dance that excellent that I rendered you speechless?” He wiped his sweat on his forehead and his arms.

Hyoyeon finally spoke, “Yeah, you dance pretty good.”

Pretty good? They don’t call me ‘Dancing Machine’ for nothing!” Eunhyuk boasted.

“Show-off!” Hyoyeon stuck her tongue out to Eunhyuk.

“Your music was outstanding, too,” Eunhyuk added.

“You really think so??” Hyoyeon was flattered.

“Neh, but do you dance, too?”

“MWOH?!” Hyoyeon cleared and composed herself. “No,” she answered calmly.

“Oh..”

“W-Why did y-you ask?”

“Because I felt like the music was made to be danced to,” Eunhyuk admitted.

“It is made to be danced to,”Hyoyeon thought but she said, “Jinjja? But still, komawoyo, Eunhyuk-ssi!”

 

-FLASHBACK-

“Hyoyeon-ah, may I have this dance?” Junho comically curtsied and bowed before Hyoyeon and he held out his hand.

Hyoyeon giggled and blushed. “Well, of course, you may,” she answered with an exaggeratedly sweet voice as she took Junho’s hand.

Junho stood straight and smiled.

“But wait..” Hyoyeon took a step back.

“What’s the problem?” Junho worried.

“We dance hip-hop! We don’t need curtsies and partners!” Hyoyeon laughed.

“You’re right,” Junho nodded and added, “but promise me one thing, my Hyoyeon.”

My Hyoyeon?” she smiled.

“Yes, you’re mine, aren’t you?” Junho challenged.

Hyoyeon blushed and shyly answered, “Neh.”

Junho continued, “Promise me that I will be your one and only..dance partner.”

“Mwoh?!”

“I don’t care if it’s hip-hop, ballroom or even ballet,” Junho suddenly put his arm around her waist and quickly pulled Hyoyeon’s body closer to his and said, “I’m the only man that you, my Hyoyeon, can be dance partners with.” Then, he quickly brushed his lips across hers and asked, “You understand?”

Hyoyeon looked away (but Junho still held her) in embarrassment but she smiled and answered, “Neh, my Junho. Dance partners forever. I love you..forever.”

“Neh, forever,” Junho removed his arm from Hyoyeon’s waist and approached the player. Junho ran to her side quickly and they started to dance to the music.

“Happy 100th day,” Hyoyeon whispered as she popped and locked.

Junho perfectly imitated her dance move and he stole yet another kiss from Hyoyeon but this time only on her cheek, “Happy 100th day!”

-END OF FLASHBACK-

 

Meanwhile..

Fr: Donghae-ssi

Let’s start today, Tiffany-ssi~ ;)

 

Fr: Tiffany~ <3

Whatever. Where do you want to meet?

 

Fr: Donghae-ssi

The pretty girl gets to decide. 8-)

 

Fr: Tiffany~ <3

BLEH! Let’s talk about our theme and concept first. Here. Bldg. 09. ASAP.

 

Fr: Donghae-ssi

Anything for you >:D I’ll be there in a jiffy. I’ll meet you outside your room.

 

Moments later..

Knock knock.

“Yes?” Tiffany opened the door just to see Donghae smiling wide. She uninterestedly said, “Oh, it’s you.”

“Heyy~” Donghae raised his hand for a high-five but Tiffany just looked smugly at it. Donghae disappointedly put his hand down and said, “Yah. We’re partners and you’ll have to loosen up sooner or later, you know.”

“Unfortunately..” Tiffany shrugged and continued, “Let’s waste no time. Let’s start. Where can we work?”

“Eunhyuk is out. We can work at my place and we won’t be disturbed,” Donghae offered.

Tiffany gasped as she put her arms across her chest in reflex to what Donghae said.

Donghae could only laugh hysterically, “HAHAHA! I didn’t mean it that way, HAHAHA!”

Tiffany blushed in embarrassment & slapped Donghae’s arm. She stomped towards her room and said, “It’s not funny! I’ll..get my things.”

 

“Welcome to the Lee Residence,” Donghae comically gestured as he opened the door for Tiffany.

“Lee?” she asked before stepping in.

“Yes, Eunhyuk and I are coincidentally both Lees.”

Tiffany looked around and nodded, “It’s cleaner than I expected.”

“Boys aren’t always messy, you know.”

“Hm,” Tiffany shrugged (her favorite expression) and continued, “Where can we work?”

“Let’s use our dining table,” Donghae pointed as he led Tiffany to the dining table.

When they were finally seated, Tiffany started putting her things out.

“EOMO! It’s all so pink! My eyes hurt!” Donghae exclaimed as she looked at Tiffany’s things—pink leather notebook, pink feathery pen, pink laptop and pink headphones from a pink knapsack.

Tiffany laughed and said, “I like pink!” Then, she smiled that eye smile of hers.

“Wow~ You smiled! And an eye smile, too!”

Tiffany suddenly put on a blank expression and went back to what she was doing.

“You were so cute when you smiled but now you’re acting all grumpy and snobbish again,” Donghae pouted.

Tiffany suddenly changed the topic and asked, “What genre of music can you dance to?”

“You may have forgotten..I’m from Dance Dep’s ALL. STYLE. SECTION,” Donghae jokingly boasted.

“Jerks.”

“Mworagoyo?”

“Nothing,” Tiffany lied.

“I heard you,” Donghae insisted.

“Then why did you have to ask? I’m so stupid for even agreeing to be partners with you,” Tiffany continued shifting moods.

“Wha--What’s wrong with you?”

“Everything! That’s right, nothing, and I mean nothing.. is right about me!” Tiffany’s emotions rose and so did the tone of her voice.

“Huh?!” Donghae was confused by Tiffany’s sudden outburst.

Tiffany started quickly putting her things back to her bag.

“Wait, wait. What are you doing?” Donghae asked.

“Look,” Tiffany wanted to stress out her point, “I’m sorry for wasting your time today. Let’s work on our performance some other time,” she said as she rose from her seat. “Sorry,” she headed out the door leaving Donghae completely in shock.

 

2 days later..

Hyoyeon was walking in the hallways of Bldg. 09 when she heard someone shout her name.

“Kim Hyoyeon!”

She turned to look and it was Park Gyuri.

Hyoyeon rolled her eyes and asked, “What do you want?” She continued walking but Gyuri went around her and blocked her way. “Please move,” Hyoyeon politely asked.

“No,” Gyuri folded her arms across her chest.

Hyoyeon sighed and said, “Look, Park Gyuri-ssi. I’m not in the mood so, please. Move.”

“Stay away from Eunhyuk oppa,” Gyuri hissed at her face.

“MWOH?!”

“You heard me, Hyoyeon-ssi.”

“It’s just for the Showcase. That’s all,” Hyoyeon shrugged.

“Good. Keep it that way.”

“Oh , I will, Gyuri-ssi. I will stay away from your Eunhyuk oppa even though you did not stay away from Junho back then.” Hyoyeon tried to humiliate Gyuri by saying, “Junho was mine.”

“You’re right. Junho was yours,” Gyuri countered Hyoyeon’s remark.

“Eunhyuk-ssi’s not even yours,” Hyoyeon reminded her.

“Oh he will soon be, my darling. Just so you wait because this time..I. WAS. FIRST,” Gyuri menaced before walking away.

Hyoyeon watched Gyuri disappear and she said to herself, “Aish! Why does she always have to ruin my day?!” She continued walking.

When she entered their room, she saw Tiffany pacing back and forth. “Tiffany, I’m back.”

“Oh.. Neh..”

“Is anything wrong?” Hyoyeon asked.

Tiffany stopped pacing and quickly walked towards Hyoyeon and hugged her.

“Yah, tell me what’s wrong, Miyoung ah,” she hugged Tiffany back.

“Eomma and Appa sent me an e-mail.”

“They’re back in America now? What’s the e-mail about?” The two friends let go of the hug.

“They went back a month ago. The e-mail.. It was about the reason why I came back here in Korea.”

Obviously, Tiffany did not want to elaborate and Hyoyeon, being the good friend she is, won’t snoop and force it out Tiffany.

“Okay, Tiffany. When you’re ready to tell me, I’m always here. You know that,” Hyoyeon assured her.

“Komawo, Hyosookie~”

“By the way,” Hyoyeon changed the topic, “Have you and Donghae-ssi started working on something already?”

“Aniyo,” Tiffany pouted.

“I see.”

“How ‘bout you and Eunhyuk-ssi?” Tiffany teasingly asked Hyoyeon.

“Yah, yah, yah! What’s with the sudden gain of interest?”

“I don’t know,” Tiffany faked a shrug, “You two just look good with each other.”

“Aigoo~” Hyoyeon playfully threw her a pillow.

“I’m just saying..” Tiffany wore a naughty smile.

Hyoyeon laughed and said, “I don’t know what made you say that!”

“Don’t tell me you don’t feel tingly inside whenever you’re with him..”

“YAH! MIYOUNG-AH! He’s from the Jerk Section!”

“But there are exceptions aren’t there?”

“Why don’t you date him then?”

“Because ONE, we don’t look as good together as you two are; and TWO I don’t think he likes me as much as he likes you!” Tiffany friend more.

“You’re talking nonsense! Besides, Gyuri warned me to stay away from him,” Hyoyeon muttered.

“Nugu?! Who did you say?! PARK GYURI?! WITCH GYURI?!”

Hyoyeon nodded slowly.

“That girl again?! Aish! She drives me nuts!” Tiffany whined.

“Honestly? Me, too!” Hyoyeon laughed.

“Don’t worry, Hyosookie, I won’t let that witch ruin your love story with Eunhuk-ssi.”

“MWOH?! LOVE STORY?!”

Tiffany laughed and said, “You heard me right.”

Hyoyeon just laughed along.


Lots of HyoHyuk and HaeFany moments here. And the e-mail to from Tiffany’s parents.. what do you think it’s about? Take a guess in the comment box and I wanna hear your feedback and reactions, too :)) Once again, thanks for your enthusiasm, patience and support, READERS AND SUBSCRIBERS! :* ‘Till my next update!

I LOVE THAT YOU GUYS ACTUALLY TAKE TIME TO LEAVE COMMENTS.. AWWW~ :") KEEP IT COMIN'! *blushes*

FOR THE AH-MAZING CHAPTER BANNER, CREDITS TO Ahjussi & Chicken Graphic Shop's MusicChibi! ^.^

Please also support my new HaeFany fic entitled "Destiny's Game." Click HERE to start reading! :) 


COMMENT REPLIES

@fawbnerdy05. i love that you love both HyoHyuk and HaeFany Couples! :) thankss~

@VampireKnightFan4Eva. this little brat! I LOVE YOU! LOL :D

@lady_cybele. yeyyyy~ ^.^ i hope I can make you love the HyoHyuk Couple even more.. :)

@HeeSicaLin. LOL at the puppy eyes :D here's a chapter now.. ;)