Chapter 4

Against All Odds

PRESENT: VACATION BEFORE 2ND YEAR IN COLLEGE

The last five months went by quickly. The K.I.A. students celebrated for another school year that they had survived.

Tiffany and Jessica had been occasionally going out, but Hyoyeon had not met Tiffany’s new friend yet. Tiffany promised that they’ll get to meet each other soon, though. Tiffany and Jessica got along well because like Hyoyeon, Eunhyuk, Donghae, Gyuri & Junho, Jessica had a passion for Arts, too. Singing, to be particular, but she was well-versed in other fields of music, too.

Coincidence? Of course not! Slowly but surely, destiny will bring them all together soon and they shall be prepared to ride fate’s rollercoaster ride emotions.

 

 “Did you hear that we will be collaborating with the ‘jerks’ for the School Opening Showcase this coming school year?” Tiffany asked Hyoyeon with an irritated tone.

We? From what I heard, only we from the Mixing & Production Section will collaborate with those from the All Style Section. I did not hear that, you, the Broadway Section of the Dance Department will be involved,” Hyoyeon stated.

“Yes! WE! I’ve transferred to your section, Hyoyeon-ah!”

Hyoyeon’s face lit up and she asked, “You did? Jinjja?”

Tiffany nodded and said, “I can’t stand being in the same department as jerks and witches and heartbreakers!”

 

-FLASHBACK-

Hyoyeon heard Junho said, “Going already, Gyuri?”

“I don’t want to, Junho oppa,” the girl said with a cute voice, “but someone might catch us here.”

Hyoyeon heard the two people giggle but on the other hand, she was there hiding, holding back her tears, covering in fear that they would hear her sobs.

“Okay,” he heard Junho say but what he said next just tear Hyoyeon’ heart into a million pieces. “Wouldn’t you give me even a goodbye kiss?”

 

Hyoyeon recognized a familiar face. She squinted and focused on the familiar face. She tried to remember who it was.

Hyoyeon gasped when the name came to her. “Park Gyuri?!”

Tiffany looked at her friend, then to the stage and covered in surprise when indeed, she saw Park Gyuri.

“PARK GYURI?! WITCH GYURI?!” Tiffany exclaimed.

“She..made it..to All Style Section.. She gets it all..” Hyoyeon’s eyes started to tear up. She stood up and ran out of the auditorium.

 

Wooyoung grabbed her wrists and made it clear for her. He rubbed it on her face, “Tiffany, I. Want. To. Breakup.”

“Stop, Wooyoung! Stop!”

Wooyoung shook her and said, “Look at me.”

Tiffany raised her head and looked at her oppa with eyes that are wet with tears.

Wooyoung said, “I’m gonna be promoted to the All Style Section in less than a month and you..”

“Mwoh?! And I will stay at the Broadway Section?! What’s wrong with that, Wooyoungie?!” Tiffany yelled while tears fell down her cheeks.

“You.. are not good for me..”

“Not good for you.. Not good enough for you..” Tiffany said softly, like she was talking to herself.

“Yes.”

-END OF FLASHBACK-

 

“Yeyy~ I’ll be classmates with you!” Hyoyeon cheered.

“GYAHHHHHH! BFFs FOREVER!!” the two girls screamed in excitement and started to dance around their room like little girls who just got new dolls.

Because of what Junho did to Hyoyeon and what Wooyoung did to her, Tiffany now saw guys who dance well as heartbreakers, as guys who use their dancing skills to lure girls in just to break their hearts. Add to this, was Park Gyuri who the two friends despise.

 

Meanwhile..

“This is bothersome!” Donghae complained while carrying his things.

“Yah, complaining won’t make your bags lighter!” Eunhyuk said.

“I guess. I just hate transferring dorms! I loved our old room!”

“I heard there are more girls here in this building, though.”

“You did?” Donghae excitedly asked with wide eyes.

When they finally arrived at their newly assigned permanent room & as Eunhyuk opened the dorm..

“GYAHHHHHH! BFFs FOREVER!” Donghae & Eunhyuk heard girls screaming next door.

“Well, there’s you proof,” Eunhyuk pointed and laughed, “they’re quite noisy, though.”

“Just as long as they are girls!” Donghae naughtily said.

Eunhyuk hit Donghae’s head.

“Ow! Stop doing that!” Donghae complained.

“Then stop ‘hunting!’ I don’t want a playboy or a womanizer friend, aigoo~”

Donghae ignored Eunhyuk’s remark & suggested, “Let’s go over & meet them, Eunhyuk!”

“Wae?! To check their waist line & vital statistics?!” Eunhyuk joked.

“Maybe..” Donghae mischievously said and continued, “And besides, we need to be properly acquainted! We’ll be working with them for the Showcase, have you heard?”

“You and your excuses! I’ll come with you. You have a point though,” Eunhyuk agreed.

“ASSA!” Donghae started looking around their new room & started unpacking his things. So did Eunhyuk.

In the afternoon, everyone received a text message.

 

From: Korea Institute for the Arts

To:    (1) All Style Section of Dance Department-Incoming 2ND Year Students

(2) Mixing & Production Section of Music Department-Incoming 2ND Year Students

 

First of all, congratulations for finishing your first school year here in K.I.A.!

As you all know, Korea Institute for the Arts will be staging its Annual School Opening Showcase, 1 month from now. This year, the administration had chosen the incoming 2ND Year Students from Dance Department’s All Style Section to collaborate with the incoming 2ND Year Students of Music Department’s Mixing & Production Section.

All participants were asked to transfer dorms to Bldg. 09 earlier today for convenience. Please get yourselves properly introduced with one another.

Your first assembly will be at exactly 7:30PM tonight at the K.I.A. Main Auditorium. Good luck, students!

 

“Aish! ‘Jerks’ everywhere!” Tiffany complained after reading the message.

“Bldg. 09? That’s our building, Tiffany! We have new neighbors!” Hyoyeon excitedly said. “Tiffany, let’s make new friends!” Hyoyeon pulled Tiffany towards the hallway outside.

 

“It’s getting noisy outside,” Eunhyuk pointed.

“They received the message, too!” Donghae said.

“Then let’s go outside & introduce ourselves since we are new here,” Eunhyuk suggested.

When the boys were finally outside, they saw many students bowing, getting to know each other & introducing themselves.

“You were right, Eunhyuk! There are many girls here,” Donghae whispered to his friend as he looked around. Donghae received a hit on the head from Eunhyuk. “OW!”

“Yah, that girl..and the blondie..” Eunhyuk whispered to Donghae while signaling and pointing Tiffany and Hyoyeon who just got out of their room which is apparently, next to theirs.

 “Where? Eodi? Where?”

Eunhyuk sneakily pointed again and said, “I’m right, aren’t I?”

“Yes! That’s them!” Donghae whispered while excitedly pulling Eunhyuk’s shirt and jumping up and down.

“Let’s go greet them,” Eunhyuk started walking towards the two girls.

Donghae fixed his hair then his collar and followed Eunhyuk.

Hyoyeon saw them approaching & had already acknowledged the two boys with a smile while Tiffany was busy talking to the phone with someone.

“Eomo~ The blondie got charms! What a cute smile!” Eunhyuk thought as Hyoyeon smiled at them.

Finally, Donghae and Eunhyuk were face-to-face with Hyoyeon. And unfortunately for Donghae, Tiffany’s back was facing them as she tried to talk to the phone over the noise.

“Annyeonghaseyo~ Kim Hyoyeon imnida!” she bowed. This was (technically) her first time meeting the boys because her face was buried in Tiffany’s shoulder during their previous encounter.

“Annyeonghaseyo,” the two bows bowed back and Donghae continued, “I’m Donghae and he’s Eunhyuk—we’re from the All Style Section. We live right next door.” Donghae offered to shake hands with her.

“Ah, jinjja?” Hyoyeon took it gratefully and added, “Nice meeting you!” She then offered to shake hands with Eunhyuk.

Meanwhile, Tiffany was still on the phone and was unaware of the Donghae and Eunhyuk’s presence. Donghae was impatiently waiting for her to turn around and acknowledge him.

Eunhyuk shook Hyoyeon’s hand as he kept thinking, “She’s cute. Very cute.”

“Uhm,” Hyoyeon muttered and smiled nervously.

Donghae slapped Eunhyuk’s arm.

“OW! What?!” Eunhyuk asked.

“Give Kim Hyoyeon-ssi her hand back!” Donghae scolded him.

Eunhyuk looked down and was surprised to see his hand still holding on to Hyoyeon’s. He quickly let go and blushed. “Sorry for that,” he said without looking at Hyoyeon.

“Aniyo,” Hyoyeon giggled, “that’s okay.”

When Eunhyuk heard the sound of Hyoyeon’s giggle, he could not help but look at her with his eyes wide.

“Waeyo?” asked Hyoyeon.

“Aigoo~ Don’t mind Eunhyuk, he’s kinda weird,” Donghae joked.

“Yah!” Eunhyuk said.

Hyoyeon laughed and so did Donghae but she suddenly remembered that she still hasn’t introduced her friend. Coincidentally, Tiffany also just got off the phone.

“Tiffany!” Hyoyeon called.

“Neh~” the smiling Tiffany ran towards Hyoyeon’s direction but still not taking notice of the two boys. “I’m sorry, Hyoyoen-ah. I just got off the phone with Jessica,” she explained.

“Meet our new neighbors—Eunhyuk-ssi and Donghae-ssi,” Hyoyeon gestured towards the two boys.

“Finally!” Donghae thought.

As soon as Tiffany laid eyes on the two boys, she exclaimed, “THEM?!”

Eunhyuk and Donghae bowed but were taken aback by the tone of Tiffany’s voice.

“Tiffany, wae? What’s wrong?” Hyoyeon embarrassedly asked her friend.

Tiffany cleared and answered, “Nothing.” She did not want to bring back Hyoyeon’s bad memories.

Donghae and Eunhyuk wondered why she did not tell Hyoyeon.

“Annyeonghaseyo, I’m Donghae.”

“I knew that. I’m Tiffany,” she snobbishly answered.

“You know each other?” Hyoyeon asked curiously while the boys stood intimated by Tiffany’s strong personality.

“We already met. Once,” Tiffany answered.

“When was that?” curious Hyoyeon snooped.

Of course, Tiffany would lie again in fear of bringing back memories of Junho and Gyuri to Hyoyeon, “When..when,” Tiffany hurriedly thought of a lie, “when I was fixing my documents so that I can transfer sections.” She nervously smiled.

“Oh,” Hyoyeon muttered.

“I’m Eunhyuk and we’re from Dance Department’s All Style Section!”

“ALL STYLE SECTION?!” Tiffany’s eyes widened. Even the name of it makes her sick, she despised them. It’s a good thing for her that Wooyoung decided to transfer schools—they’d never get to cross paths ever again.

“Yes, we are,” Donghae jokingly bragged, “Amazing, huh?!”

“Waeyo?” Eunhyuk asked.

More lies. “Nothing,” Tiffany answered. “I should probably dress up for the assembly. It was..nice meeting you.” With that, Tiffany excused herself, leaving the three people behind.

“I’m sorry for that,” Hyoyeon apologized.

“Did we do something wrong?” Donghae asked.

“Aniyo. She’s just..she..she has her reasons. Mianhaeyo.”

“Can we do anything to help?” Eunhyuk asked.

“Thanks, but it’s something you can’t help her with,” Hyoyeon refused. “See you later at the assembly, Eunhyuk-ssi and Donghae-ssi!” Hyoyeon waved goodbye and headed back inside her room.

Eunhyuk sighed, then smiled.

“Eomo! You like Kim Hyoyeon-ssi!” Donghae .

“Ani!” Eunhyuk slapped Donghae’s arm and ran inside the room. Donghae followed and as soon as the door closed, Donghae jumped up and down. He was screaming at the top of his lungs but he covered his mouth with a pillow.

“Yah, Donghae. What are you doing? Weirdo,” Eunhyuk looked at his friend who was going wild.

When Donghae finally calmed down—catching his breath, sweating but smiling—he told Eunhyuk, “They live right next door! AAAAHHH! RIGHT! NEXT! DOOR!” Donghae screamed.

“Ssshhh! They’ll hear you! You’re embarrassing!”

“Oops!” Donghae quickly covered his mouth but still continued, “But they live right next door!” Donghae put his cheek against the wall and (weirdly) said, “She’s just on the other side of this wall!” He giggled.

“You’re crazy,” Eunhyuk said while heading towards the bathroom to take a shower.

“Her name is Tiffany!” Donghae exclaimed while he pranced around their living room. He sang her name, “Tiffanyyyyy~ Lalalala~ Fany Fany, Tiffaaaaany~ TIFFANY!”


Hm. I smell bitterness from Hyoyeon and Tiffany. Hm. Kekeke~  I hope I can make everything more exciting from here. Leave your comments, alright? It’s essential for me~ CRITICISMS, too! :)) Komawo for hanging around!

THE GIF POSTER IS DAEBAK! CREDITS TO Intricate Simplicity - Graphic's only designer and now my friend, FreakingOutFTW!

FOR THE AH-MAZING CHAPTER BANNER, CREDITS TO Ahjussi & Chicken Graphic Shop's MusicChibi! ^.^


COMMENT REPLIES

@fawbnerdy05. thanks for the huge compliment, dear~ *blushes* i hope you'll love this chapter!

@VampireKnightFan4Eva. komawoyooo~ ;)