Oatmeal Cookies

Forever Yours

It was a warm late afternoon. I was sitting on the floor playing with some of the lovebirds on my lap, waiting for you to come by. You probably weren't since it's Thursday, meeting up with your friends; but you surprised me. The door creaked open and the bell rung as I looked up from the ground to meet your eyes. You smiled at let yourself in. "I made cookies today, Mr. Bird Man. Thought you would be hungry." 

I had to hide my smile as I groaned with embarrassment, "Mr. Bird Man? Really?"

"Well," you lingered around the store, "you won't tell me your name And! You said so yourself; to call you Bird Man."

I winced jokingly, "I feel like an old man, for some reason."

You giggled before you took a seat on the floor next to me. "Here. They're just oatmeal cookies."

I opened the box and let the aroma of freshly baked cookies arouse my senses. Nodding in approval, I grinned, "Looks delicious. Thank you."

Quickly, you snatched a cookie out of the box and took a bite. I frowned playfully, "Thought you said these were mine."

You played along, pretending to look shocked, "Why...Mr. Bird Man. I never said they were yours. I just said I thought you would be hungry."

"Touché." I acknowledged. I handed her the box back and left the lovebirds to wander. "Let me go make some coffee with these cookies. Sugar and milk?"

"Yes, please!" You giggled.

I walked to the back of the store to brew. Everything was going well right now. We were beginning to feel more comfortable around each other and I would constantly be surprised by your random visits. Some visits last a few minutes, other for hours; at this point, I began to wonder if you could feel the sparks between us. They were definitely there. Whenever our hands or arms grazed each other, we both gaze into each other's eyes. You just have to remember who I am...who you are. No matter what shape or form you're in, I know I'll always love you.

Hot and ready, I carried the two mugs back. The store was quiet as I creaked back out and saw from over the counter you were sketching out a lovebird that were perched on your shoes. You smiled a little and made sweet sounds to the bird to stay still. The finishing look was beautiful, capturing every detail of its feathers, the gleam in its eyes, and shape of its beak. "It's an amazing drawing." I said from behind.

You looked up from the floor to see me leaning over the counter. "Oh, it's nothing. They're just so cute. Lovebirds, right?"

"Yeah," I answered, taking my seat back right next to you. You took a sip of the coffee and sighed softly. You said it was good. I hope you weren't lying. We sat there in silence, sipping our coffee and eating the cookies. Even in moments like this I feel pure bliss. My eyes always look at you and you would catch me and smile to yourself; like you find it cute that I've been caught. The birds begin to tweet as I whistled an old tune. The store was filled with nature's symphony. 

Your eyes closed as you listened carefully. I remember whistling this tune to you before, I wondered if you remember. But alas, nothing comes to mind in your thoughts. But it was alright. 

"That's beautiful," you mumbled, feeling sleepy. "Is it a song?"

"I used to whistle to this tune all the time," I said, watching your eyes droop, "it's something I made up when I was a kid."

"It feels nostalgic, for some reason."

The sun was slowly setting, but I didn't want you to go just yet. I held my tongue back. I could have said everything right then and there. However, it wasn't the right time to say it. I didn't want to scare you.

Your hands that held onto the mug was slowly losing their strengths. I took the mug out of your hand and placed it beside me. I stared at you for a few minutes before I held my breath and placed your head on my shoulder to rest on. Your temple rubbed against my shirt and my heart was racing as my body became stiff. Your finally settled in as your body was leaned against mind, taking in the warmth that I have to offer.

Only half empty, I gazed into my black coffee. Staring into my reflection as I smiled. I was satisfied, content, ...happy. All these years of searching, wondering if I should give up, it's repetitive. I've gone through this so many times and when I finally find you I realize it was all worth it. I hope I don't make any mistakes in this life. I've made a few and you always slip away because of them. I vow to make things right and have you love me like you did when we first met. It was around the early dynasties that I met you.

You were my brother's fair bride-to-be. He had several women to fool around with. But he just needed one to make himself ruler of our time. I was nothing more than his swordsman, a warrior, his right-hand man.

"Brother," he called out for me, "doesn't this maiden have a beautiful complexion? Is she not the one of the most beautiful women we have seen?"

I kneeled before him and glanced at you quickly. Our eyes met. "Yes, brother. She is."

You had a story behind your eyes. I could tell you didn't want to be the next ruler's bride, but there was no use in declining; it was either to be wed to the king or to be dead.

My brother laughed whole-heartedly. "Maiden. Don't you think my brother is a handsome and strong warrior?"

You glanced at me again with a fan covering your lips. "Yes."

One word sent shivers down my spine. Your long lashes hid the true identity of who you were. You sparked my interest and I knew my brother was only testing me. I couldn't do a horrible thing to him. He was the only family I had in that life. He was the type to test and deceive people to bring out their true intentions.

I learned that the hard way. Temptation got the best of me and...you were killed right before my eyes.

I came back to reality when I woke up. It was just a dream, no, a memory. My head throbbed as I touched my forehead. I was sweating and my heart sank. My eyes began to water as I had flashbacks from a millennium ago; centuries ago. My heart was at ease when I turned to my left to see you were still sleeping. Everything about you in this life was delicate. If I held you in my arms, I feel like I could break you. You still look the same, not physically, perhaps, but mentally (it's hard to explain).

My hand moved on its own as i gently touched the outline of your face. You were warm and real. Whenever I find you, I sometimes have to look twice just to be sure I wasn't hallucinating. My life's purpose is to find you and love you with all of my heart; to protect you from the world...from...

"Hmmm..." You moaned. You woke up from your sleep and we both realized it was already night. "We both fell asleep! Sorry! I have class tomorrow, Mr. Bird Man. So I'll see you tomorrow. Bye!"

You left before I could say goodbye. The lovebirds were already back in their cages sound asleep and I was left alone on the floor with cookie crumbs and empty mugs. I took a deep breath. I have something to look forward to every day: to see your gorgeous face, to learn more about you, and how much longer I can keep this curse (or blessing) a secret from you.

There was one cookie left, thankfully. I was starving. I took a bite out of it and savored the taste. I never thought I could love oatmeal cookies as much as I love you. I laughed at myself in my head, the thought seemed corny the more I thought about it.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
   5:15PM

Author's Note: I ended pulling up an all-nighter to write this chapter. I hope you all like it so far! It kind of sounds a little cheesy/corny, doesn't it? I hope this story is still worthwhile. I'll a little rusty with my writing since I haven't written since last year. Please leave a comment below and subscribe if you like! Thank you so much for taking the time to read this second chapter.