Chapter 7

Of This I Am Certain

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t think he’ll ever forget the day Byun Baekhyun entered SM.  He was excited to meet a new vocalist, show him the ropes, and finally have a hoobae in the company.  It wasn’t that he liked being superior, it was just nice not being the one needing guidance for once. 

 

But Baekhyun hardly needed guidance.  He was nervous like any new trainee would be, but he settled in very quickly.  While not overly confident, he was sure of himself in a way Kyungsoo had never allowed himself to be.  He was friendly and clever, but still intimidating when he was serious.  And that wasn’t even the half of it.

 

When he first heard Baekhyun sing that day, he was simultaneously fascinated and crestfallen.  He was blessed with one of those distinct voices no amount of practice could achieve.  It wasn’t even competition – Baekhyun was levels beyond him.  If the rumors about a new group debuting were true, then SM was bound to choose Baekhyun, and by extension, not choose him.  It would be humiliating to be overlooked, but he couldn’t deny that Baekhyun was better.  He was best. 

 

Wracked with worry, Kyungsoo found himself venting to Kai.  An odd choice, but somehow it made perfect sense to him.  Kai was also worlds beyond him in terms of talent, but he never expected to be a lead dancer.  He was blunt and sometimes judgemental, but Kyungsoo didn’t want Chanyeol’s sugar-coated optimism or Suho’s patronizing sweetness.  He wanted the hard truth. 

 

“So he sings this song by Hwanhee, right?  And it sounds just like him.  He even has the face and hand gestures down.  Really, really!  It was 100%!  He sounded like an angel, Jongin-ah.  I was so nervous after that, but I think we harmonized really well.  I was so relieved.”

 

Kai sat with his elbows on his knees facing him.  He glanced up from the lounge floor for a moment, biting his fingers, but merely nodded for him to continue. 

 

“Anyways, I don’t think I could ever sing like that.  Or be so funny!  He did this kkap dance… Chanyeol was rolling on the floor, did he tell you?  They’re already really close, actually – “

 

“Hyung,” Kai said abruptly.  “Worrying about Baekhyun won’t help you.  Just ignore him.”  He was staring right at him now, eyes weirdly intense. 

 

He felt his own eyes widen.  “But I can’t ignore him!  He’s a nice guy.  I could learn a lot from him.”

 

Kai sat back ruffling his hair, sighing in what sounded like irritation.  I must be boring him.  Kyungsoo bowed his head apologetically, when he felt Kai’s fist playfully punching his shoulder.

 

“Hey, let’s go get ice cream.  I’m hungry.”

 

His spirit lifted at the welcome distraction.  “Ice cream?  I’d love to.  Is there anyone else around who’d want to go?”

 

“No, I don’t think so.  I don’t want to wait,” Kai answered hurriedly.  His eyes were shining with that odd intensity again, and for once, Kyungsoo couldn’t read him.  What Kyungsoo had said seemed to upset him.  Was he being upset for me?

 

As Kyungsoo followed Kai toward the door, he wrapped his arms around his waist and squeezed him in a back hug. 

 

Thank you,” he mouthed, face pressed into his broad back.  For listening. For everything.

 

Kai’s rough hands clasped his for a moment as he straightened up ever so slightly.  Although Kyungsoo couldn’t see his face, he knew Kai was smiling. 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

YOU GUYS KEEP READING THIS!  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

So Kai is jealous, and D.O. is oblivious.  *sigh* what to do.  

I have to admit that before the Kai/D.O. predebut couple photos came out, I shipped Baekhyun and Kyungsoo.  Their voices melt together like butter on toast (and I really like toast).  

This chapter is short, but the next will be quite long.  I'll update in the next few days xD

@Daeyah  Yup, Kai no likey the Chansoo xD

@Rolllikeadonut  You are too kind!  We need more KaiSoo fanfiction!!  Also, I absolutely adore your username LOL

@WowF4ntasticBaby  Thank you so much!!  TT^TT

@panzym  The party was a little rushed, but I'm glad you liked it!  Kyungsoo has such a motherly instinct.  He's adorable.

<3 kab