Chapter 17

Of This I Am Certain

Jongin stared at Kyungsoo in complete shock, his mouth still hanging open.  Kyungsoo's thoughts raced in alarm, wishing he would say something.  Anything.

 

"I'm sorry...run that by me again?"

 

"I like you," Kyungsoo repeated bashfully, hoping he hadn't screwed up again.  Hoping he hadn't misunderstood.

 

"And the other thing?"

 

"Don't leave me alone -"

 

"No - the first part."

 

Kyungsoo looked up at him quizzically and Kai tapped his lips, eyes gleaming.  Still a flirt.  Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and kissed him once more on tip toe.  This time Kai kissed back, with tongue.  Kyungsoo's heart thumped madly with Kai's strong hands on his waist, and he still wasn't entirely sure it wasn't a dream.  

 

When they broke away, Kai had a dazed smile on his face.  "That's better," he sighed happily.  "I still don't really get it, but I'm not complaining," he continued with a chuckle.  

 

His smile faded as he looked into Kyungsoo's eyes.  "So you don't like Baekhyun or Chanyeol?"

 

"No, never," Kyungsoo laughed, shaking his head emphatically. 

 

Kai's brow furrowed and he took the slightest step back. "Then why couldn't - why didn't you say anything before?"  There was the slightest flash of pain in his eyes that Kyungsoo wished more than he could erase.  He cursed himself for having ever caused it.

 

"I was just...scared," he managed to answer, hanging his head.  He knew he had to be careful with his next words.  "I wasn't sure you meant it, if you were serious.  Especially seeing how close you are with...everyone."  He paused, wondering if he should continue.  

 

When he didn't hear Kai respond, he said, "I guess - I guess I never thought you'd look at someone like me."

 

Suddenly he felt Kai's fingers raise his chin so their eyes met.  His deep brown eyes were smouldering. 

 

"There is no one like you, Kyungsoo.  You know I mean it now, right?"

 

He felt himself melting a little before stuttering out, "Now I do."

 

Kai paused to look him up and down, as if to take him all in.  As if to make sure it was all real.  Kyungsoo shivered once more under that gaze, which was all for him.

 

Finally he crossed his arms and smiled playfully.  "It took you long enough."

 

Kyungsoo laughed in embarrassment, burying his face in his hands.  "Ahh I know.  Mianhae, Jongin-ah."

 

"So which one of us is really the idiot?"  He could hear the smirk on Kai's lips.

 

Kyungsoo lifted his head and matched his dongsaeng's smirk.  "Oh, still you.  You're the one who fell for a fool."  

 

Kai laughed loudly, shaking his head at him.  He realized they were still standing awkwardly in the hall and lightly pushed Kai toward their apartment.  His heart skipped a beat when Kai's arm found its way over his shoulder as the younger boy fell into step beside him.  Everything that had just happened left him giddy and light-headed.  He didn't even have time to think about the other members and what would happen once they got back.  

 

But upon opening the door, they were met by a rather concerned Suho. 

 

"Where did you guys go?  What happened?"

 

Kyungsoo shot a glance at Kai, a spark of dread filling him.  To his great relief, however, Kai gave a calm smile, leaned more heavily on his shoulder, and told a very convenient lie.  "I was helping him take out the trash and my back injury flared up.  It's fine  now - Kyungsoo hyung will just help me to bed."

 

Suho eyed them worriedly for a moment.  "If it's that bad, maybe I should take a look...?"

 

"No, it's fine!  Really!  I got this,"  Kyungsoo blurted out, throwing an arm around Kai's waist.  They rushed back to their room before Suho could protest.

 

"That was close," Kai laughed as he flounced onto the edge of his bed.

 

Kyungsoo grinned, overcome by the sight of the beautiful smiling boy in front of him.  He walked up until he was standing over him.  He gently ran a hand through his silky hair and down his cheek, eyes poring into Kai's uplited ones.  He bent down to kiss him once more when the sound of the door swinging open made him jumpt back just in time.

 

Suho barged in juggling several ice packs and a box of bandages.  

 

"I know, I know you said you'd handle it,"  he said to Kyungsoo's look of irritation.  "I just wouldn't feel alright until I saw these bandages on him."

 

Kai shot Kyungsoo a desperate look, but there was nothing he could do.  Suho took over, making Kai lie down with the ice packs while he prodded him over and over to assess the level of damage.  From all the winces he made, Kyungsoo could tell that Kai was hurting far more than he ever let on.  It made him sick and angry with himself for being so selfish when Jongin was going through so much.  Worried, frustrated, and impatient,  he turned his back on them and busied himself organizing the mess he had left earlier.  

 

Lining up book after book to the sound of Kai's muffled gasps behind him, Kyungsoo felt waves of conflicting emotions that just wouldn't settle.  He wanted Kai, he wanted all of him, but he also didn't want to make things any harder for him. Kai needed rest, and they both needed to focus on their debut.  On top of that, he was afraid of being found out by Suho or the other members.  As the elder, he felt more responsible, and he'd screwed up so much already.  At the same time, he didn't want to worry about any of it; he just wanted Suho to leave already so he could be with Kai.  

 

Suho, of course, knew none of this, and did a thorough job rubbing down every inch of Kai's back.  When he finally left, he gave stern warning to the both of them to go to bed.  It was a good idea, Kyungsoo knew that, but it didn't make him happy.  The door swung shut behind him and a potent silence filled the room. 

 

Kyungsoo still hadn't turned around when he felt Kai's arms encircle his waist.  The touch both thrilled and scared him.  He clasped the tan hands around his middle and managed to say, "You know, Kai.  Suho's right.  You need sleep."

 

Kai sighed in exasperation, resting his forehead on Kyungsoo's shoulder.  "I know," he muttered.  There was a deep pause.  "Just, lie with me till I fall asleep?"

 

Kyungsoo nodded, turning around as his arms fell from his waist.  "And I'll be here when you get up."

 

Kai smiled sleepily and pulled him to his bed.  Kyungsoo wanted to stop him so he could change out of his clothes, but thought better of it and climbed under the covers after him.  He fit like a puzzle piece in the crook of Kai's body, his long arm slipped over his waist.  He definitely wasn't calm, being so close to Kai, but it was comforting.  For a long time he lay there, feeling Kai's breath on the back of his neck, until it slowed to a sleepy lull.  Gently, he turned himself over to face Kai, now fast asleep.  With his forefinger, he lightly traced the line of Kai's cheek, the round of his shoulder, the curve of his arm.  Even now, he couldn't quite believe he was this close.  As if to make sure, he pulled himself closer to the sleeping boy, burying his head in his chest.  

 

He wasn't sure what they were, and didn't think Jongin was one to talk about labels.  He didn't know how much would change, how they would act, or how they would hide it.  But with Kai it was...safe.  And he would be there in the morning.  And every day after that.

 

Of that he was certain. 

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

WOW, I .  Actually, my boss does, making me work overtime and draining all of my creative juices grrrrrr.  I know I made you all wait far far far too long for this, and hopefully it won't happen again.  

Thank you all so much for your comments and subscriptions!  I wish I could respond to all of you, give you cake and cyber hugs, but hopefully some KaiSoo is enough <333

I've actually been considering other fic ideas and how I want this fic to continue, so you might see some polls coming up.  

[no1curr]

Anyways,  THANKS AGAIN, I LOVE YOU ALL!!!  KAISOO 4EVERR!

<3 kab