September Part 1

The Heir's Love Story

 

A month has passed since Joo Hyun got discharged from the hospital. Soo Jung kept her words to Wu Fan that she would bring Jong-In to Kim family’s mansion daily to help him remember his past. It was a demanding period for Joo Hyun since it’s her Board Exams month. Wu Fan tried to persuade her to take it next year, but he failed since Joo Hyun was really determined to take the examination on time. She often tells him that her condition isn’t enough reason for a year of delay to get her license as a Medical Technologist.  The two of them would often argue about the same matter.

Dr. Xi has constantly visited her for her morning check-ups. A month has passed by smoothly for all of them. Well, except for the inevitable academic stress that the upcoming Board Exam that Joo Hyun, and her three closest friends were facing.

Conversely, Jong-In accepted his treatments and counseling sessions. He finally had a steadier gait, and he could manage to throw lesser tantrums than before. He started experiencing bad dreams which were connected to the past but Dr. Xi explained that it’s a part of his recovery process. Thus, all he needs was to endure it.

There were times that he would dream that he’s with Joo Hyun but it’s often cut. The only dream that he kept on seeing vivid was a child hiding inside the closet, watching a woman who was shot by an old man wearing a dark cloak.  He still needs time to put the puzzle inside his mind properly.

 

----------

 

It was past nine in the morning and Dr. Xi finished doing Joo Hyun’s daily morning check-up, he was happily telling his own board exam stories to her and her three closest friends. ‘’…they say that it’s best to review intensely one hundred days before the actual board exams because when you your review a longer duration the thing is that you’ll get bored and getting bored means lesser comprehension.’’

‘’I’ve reviewed exactly one-hundred three days Dr. Xi…do you think it is okay? Do you think we will pass this year’s Medical Technology Board Exam?’’ the doe-eyed girl asked quite anxious about the matter.

‘’What I told you is still just a psychological research, a research.’’ He emphasized.’’…but always be confident and don’t let negative thoughts enter your head. They say that think of positive thoughts and positive thoughts will come to you.’’

‘’Yes. Dr. Lulu is right Yoongie…we shouldn’t entertain negative thoughts at this point. And don’t you worry.’’ Joo Hyun enveloped her best friend into a hug who was sitting beside her.  

‘’Yoona-ssi, it doesn’t really matter whether you review the board exam for one-hundred days or just one month, the question is that how did you utilize your review time… If it’s constantly well, or you are just reading for the sake of telling yourself that you have reviewed already.’’

‘’Ah…’’ the die-eyed girl did not know how to respond as she felt the tension building inside her stomach. It was a natural scenario for a person would take a Board Exam, but it has been always Yoona’s waterloo even in college, she’s a smart girl but she’s timid when it comes to her capabilities compared to Seohyun.

Joo Hyun put her chin on the doe-eyed girl’s shoulder, ‘’…there you go again Yoongie, I told you, trust yourself. You are smart!’’

‘’But –‘’ before she could reason out, Yoona was cut by the young physician.

‘’Keep calm, and pass the board exams.’’ Dr. Xi. Brightly smiled on both of them, then he finally spoke to Yoona,’’…no one’s going to lift you up but you yourself. The people you love are always there for you and would always trust you. Just think of this: it will be unfair for them who believe in you if you yourself won’t believe in your own capabilities.’’

The doe-eyed girl held her chest tight as she heaved away her troubles, ‘’Thank you, the both of you.’’

‘’If Seo Joo Hyun can, then Im Yoona can!’’ she balled her fist up, ‘’Fighting!’’

Suddenly, her stomach started to ache, her babies were seemingly moving manic inside her. ‘’Ouch!’’ she irked.

Yoona faced her best friend, and held on her baby bump. ‘’I must’ve squeezed them, Hyun! I’m sorry.’’

‘’No, I was the one who hugged you unnie.’’  The doe-eyed girl made her lie down on her bed. Dr. Xi then helped the doe-eyed girl make the milady rest comfortably by putting on her pillows comfortably on her back and on the back of her head.

‘’Limit the stress Joo Hyun. I know that you too is also anxious as Ms. Im here. ‘’ he reminded her.

‘’Dr. XI it’s really hard to hide from you, you know.’’ Joo Hyun briefly shifted her weight, finding the most comfortable position of lying down.

‘’I’m a psychologist, it’ my job to read someone’s behavior. And. since you’re too stubborn enough not to listen to Mr. Wu to delay this upcoming Board Exams…just please, at least sleep on-time in the evening, and don’t move a lot. Promethium is just a drug, an aid I mean, not a life savior to spare your babies.’’

‘’I’m sorry, I’ll take note of that Dr. Xi.’’

‘’I’ll get going now.’’ He stood up from kneeling on the milady’s bed, and waved his hand to them, ‘’Goodbye Joo Hyun, goodbye Ms. Im.’’

 Yoona escorted the young physician, out of her room, and then she went back inside and closed the door. ‘’Hyun, you’ve heard the Handsome Dr. Xi.’’

The younger woman laugh at the doe-eyed girl heartily, and began teasing ‘’Your doe-eyes fits his deer-eyes. I got you there Unnie! You like Dr. Luhan don’t you?’’

The doe-eyed girl’s face blushed, the younger lady’s statement have some truth in it. She playfully pinched Joo Hyun’s arm, ‘’ I don’t.’’

‘’But your face cannot deny it Yoongie!’’ the milady began laughing hard on her doe-eyed girl’s preciousness.

Yoona faced palmed herself, ‘’I don’t!’’ she tried to deny again, ‘’…it’s just that he’s really kind and it complements his handsome face.’’

‘’It came from the horse’s mouth.’’

 

 

Several minutes later, someone knocked on the milady’s door. She and her best friend were already busy having their study time together. Joo Hyun was kind of annoyed since her focus got averted, she scratched her head, ‘’Come in!’’

Jong-In shyly slinked his head in to the door’s small opening.  He awkwardly greeted them ‘’H-hello Joo Hyun, hello Ms. Im.’’

Joo Hyun indifferently beckoned him to come inside without diverting her gaze from the thin book she was reading. ‘’Come in.’’

He then silently came inside the room, completely not making the tiniest screech he could ever make. He has been visiting her for a month, and it became a routine for the both of them, to deal with each other.

 ‘’Did I disturb you?’’ He asked as he sat on the edge of her bed.

‘’A little.’’ Joo Hyun answered as she flipped the page of the book she was reading.

‘’Sorry.’’

Yoona slightly slapped the younger girl’s arm; it’s been a umpteenth time she heard her spoke harshly to him. ‘’ Stop that Hyunnie… can you be a little nicer to Jong-In?’’

‘’He’s used to it Yoongie.’’

The doe-eyed girl averted her attention to the heir and looked at him intently from head-to-toe and asked, ‘’Are you?’’

His mouth slightly went agape from her question, he was not really clueless but he doesn’t really know how to respond from the latter’s query. The milady’s indolence was sometimes already annoying to his part but he knew that it’s him who made her act like that. Hence, it was him and him alone to be blamed.

Judging him from his reaction, she shook her head and began, ‘’You shouldn’t let her always do this to you Jong-In.’’ then she pulled Joo Hyun’s ear and began scolding her, ‘’You stop acting like this in front of Jong-In…how will you help him remember if you are acting like this?’’

‘’Ah…ouch!’’ she protested freeing her ear from the doe-eyed girl. ‘’That hurts Yoongie! I helped him before, in the end it is his choice if he will choose to remember or not. I’ve done my part, he should do his part on his own.’’

‘’You’re giving up to your own husband. That’s ridiculous Hyun!’’ the doe-eyed girl boldly scolded her. Both Joo Hyun and Jong-In stiffened on their stance. The milady was already cringing, that she pierced her eyes back in the book she was holding, while the heir grabbed the bed covering where his hand was placed.

‘’I-I understand her Ms. Im.’’ He broke out feeling that his heart was darted by the milady’s words. ‘’She’s right, I should do my part this time.’’

‘’We have hopes, that’s why we keep doing this to the both of you. We’re hoping that by doing this we’ll eventually bring you back together…you know what, I think the problem is in you two.’’ The doe-eyed girl stood up, ‘’…we can’t help you forever guys. Hyun, I know you want your husband back, you will not endlessly cry if not, so why act opposing your own feelings? ‘’ Then she looked at Jong-In again, ‘’…And you, I think my dongsaeng is already giving up on you because you are too stubborn. I guess you should know that not all people in the world revolve around you and would do anything to please you; she’s your wife believe it or not! So at least if you cannot really muster it, or if you can’t really remember her, the least thing you could do is to be NICE to her, get me?’’ the she walked out and banged the door close.

Both of them felt really scared from the angry doe-eyed girl.

‘’Sorry.’’  He apologized to her almost whispering.

‘’You shouldn’t have come.’’ She answered coldly.

‘’But Krys and Wu Fan left.’’

‘’Why did you not follow them?’’

‘’Why would I?’’

‘’You want to be with Krys, right?’’

Jong-In knew that it’s another pushing-away session with her again. ‘’We keep doing this for a month you know.’’

‘’What are we doing for a month?’’

‘’We keep arguing about the same thing, you never fail to remind me to follow Krys whenever she’s going out with your Kris-oppa.’’

‘’Should I oppose you?’’ she shot back, not wanting the other to hit back another statement to her. She’s fed up feeling the pain all over again.

‘’Arguing with you makes me feel bad Joo Hyun.’’ He moved nearer to her.

‘’That’s where you are best at…arguing with me, making me feel bad I am already fed up.’’ she flipped the pages of the books faster feeling the annoyance due to his near stance from her.

‘’Krys keeps telling me that I have a good wife, but she never fails to remind me that you are also stubborn, she told me that I’d be needing tons of patience with you.’’ He suddenly shut the book with his hands wanting her attention.

 She tried to open the book that was on her lap, but his hand was too heavy that she couldn’t even pull it out.

Then he suddenly held her chin and made her face him, ‘’It’s rude not to pay attention when someone’s talking to you.’’

‘’You are also rude, should I treat you nicely?’’ she scornfully shot back trying to avoid his intent gaze. She doesn’t want to make an eye contact with him because looking at him makes her feel vulnerable.

‘’You cannot even look at me straight, it is rude Joo Hyun.’’ He seriously spoke, and then he held her face closer to him.

Her heart started racing feeling his warm breath hushing her cheek; she shut her eyes tightly afraid to make the littlest move that could make their situation even worse.

‘’Is it that awful that you couldn’t look at me straight?’’ he asked. His annoyance was starting to pile up inside of him; he has been enduring her indolence for a month. ‘’It’s been a month now, and I don’t really get why do I have to waste my precious time here with you. But they keep on telling me that spending my time with you is the most precious thing that I should do, sometimes I cannot get it, I cannot grasp what they’re telling me but since you are my wife I consider it. Krys is precious to me, but now she’s pushing me away just for you...’’

‘’Then go to Soo Jung, you have all the freedom, no one’s against you!’’ she shot back, with her eyes close, trying to fight the fear that was inside her as jealousy also started to build in her at that moment.

‘’She has Wu Fan now…your idiotic prince. She’s started liking him…but with my wife liking that idiot as well I think I want to kill a person now.’’

‘’Fight for that person you love if you think she still belongs – ‘’ she suddenly got cut half way when Jong-In captured her lips with his.

Her eyes suddenly opened wide, as she felt stiffened, she wanted to pull herself away from him. She tried to, but the latter s his other arms around her waist, and just deepen the kiss. Her vision slowly got hazy as tears started to escape her eyes though she was frozen and couldn’t respond to him.

It lasted for a moment, and when she went back into trance she suddenly pushed him away.

‘’W-why did you do that for?’’ she asked, wiping her lips.

‘’I-I don’t know’’ he violently shook his head feeling painful darts as memories started running inside his head, ‘’…have I done that before when I was near you?’’

‘’Y-you! What kind of question is that?’’ she wanted to disappear in front him, still shocked from what just happened.

 ‘’You know it, I kissed you…I’m asking if I’ve really done that before or if I’m creating false memories again. Don’t lie…my head is experiencing pins again. It hurts a lot. I-I just want to know if it’s worth the pain so I would always take note of it.’’ He held on his head, as he kept on shaking it. His vision was already starting to go blurry.

‘’I – I don –‘’

‘’Don’t reply me that I don’t know!’’ he shouted furiously. ‘’It’s just a Yes or a No! Is it too hard?’’

‘’Y-yes.’’ She replied cringing, as she dumped her face in to the pillows on her bed.

 

-----------

Soo Jung, Wu Fan and Chanyeol just finished shopping for the animated gentleman’s gift to Sooyoung who was about to take the board exams and they decided to find an Italian restaurant to dine in for lunch.

‘’Channie isn’t it too much for Soo-unnie?’’ Soo Jung began complaining as she raised all the paper bags of signature bags and clothing, ‘’I mean Soo-unnie isn’t your girlfriend yet, and you’re spending too much on her.’’

‘’Money isn’t an issue; it’s my thoughtful thought that counts. I like Soo-noona a lot and those…’’ he pointed to what she was carrying, ‘’…and these stuffs are incomparable to what I feel for her.’’

‘’What if she declines you?’’

‘’For as long as I can make her laugh, it doesn’t matter.’’ he smiled widely.

Wu Fan suddenly snatched the paper bags that the heiress was holding from her right hand. ‘’Let Chanyeol do what he wants. He just want Sooyoung to be happy, that’s it.’’

She did not argue anymore knowing that she there was no way for her to win since the two gentlemen who was with her already agreed to the matter.

They kept walking on the street of Gangnam-gu finding the best Italian restaurant they could dine. She’s really a picky eater that made it more difficult for them to find the restaurant to dine lunch.

Soo Jung and Chanyeol started arguing that the heiress got fed up and started walking in a faster pace as they crossed the streets.

‘’Park Chanyeol you are too unman –‘’

A car suddenly bumped her.

‘’Jung Soo Jung!’’ Chanyeol screeched on top of his lungs as Kris dropped all that he was carrying and started to run in the middle of the street and scooped the bleeding heiress’ body on the road.

The vehicle suddenly run backwards and swiftly went away to the opposite side of the road as if the driver purposely walloped Soo Jung.

‘’Yah!’’ Wu Fan stood up carrying the heiress in his arms, as much as he wanted to chase the vehicle, there’s no time to waste since they needed to bring her into the nearest hospital.

Though he did not saw the driver’s image closely, he knew that he was familiar. ‘’Lay…’’ he muttered to himself.

‘’Hyung…the …the driver I-I think I saw him somewhere.’’ Chanyeol spoke as he helped the mysterious gentleman carry the heiress on their way.

‘’Let’s think about it later…we need to get her into the hospital quick!’’