Internship: Segunda Parte

The Heir's Love Story

Like their usual days before, the husband-and-wife went home together that afternoon. The only difference was they were both shut in their own worlds preventing each other even when they were sitting together in their executive car.

'We'll stick to the contract.'  Her short but hurtful words kept echoing inside his mind. She was mentally torturing him; he was already wishing just to go insane.

The milady's fury was lessened a bit; she was the same with her husband thinking of how he kept asking 'Are you sure?' to her. With her careless decision it was not only Jong-In who got hurt, she even hurt herself.

'I said it's final, right? Joo Hyun, you cannot waver anymore, whether it's a mistake or it's really your decision there's no backing out. Look at how you broke him. Definitely there's no backing out.'  She glanced at him for a millisecond. He was just staring blankly, he too have weary eyes like her. In fact his eyes were more swollen than hers.

 

As soon as they got into the mansion, Joo Hyun sprinted her way to avoid him, it has been a hurtful day for the both of them, as for her, both hurtful and regretful day.

Jong-In was like an idiot who seemed to not know how to comprehend. He still chased her as they walked their way upstairs and to the hallway going to their room.

 

'Let me try for the last time. She's just angry, I should be more understanding.' he convinced him self to try to ask her once again. Like his persistence of convincing her to marry him before they really got married, at that particular time he needed that Persistence again.

 

As soon as he got the timing to get a grip on her once again, he did the same thing he just did from the school, she pinned her once more against the wall.

He was too desperate he cried his tears again as soon as he got to see a clear view of his wife's face.

Honestly she still could not stand it whenever they're really that close just like before. So she pulled all her guts out to look firm in front of him.

She fraudulently looked at him straight into the eyes, pretending that she was not greatly affected to what just happened between them.

"What again Jong-In?" she asked rather a bit furious.

"W-what you said, you're just angry this morning right? It's afternoon now, l-let's talk again you just got overwhelmed that's why you said those things." his voice was shaky, he was like an idiot making a fool out of himself. His idea of giving her another chance to change her mind at that moment even if she already said that she made him such a persistent person but idiotic at the same time. Thus, he just wanted her to stay.

She could not comprehend her self what to feel. Deep inside she was already wavering, deep inside she wanted to sink in because of being hasty with her decision but what is done is done - there's no rewind in reality, and that's what about it.

She cannot utter a word and contemplated with herself despite being pinned on the wall by him.

He waited for her answer long enough and asked again, "You really don't want this too, right? Please take that back, I'll make it up to you, I'll be a better husband."

Never in his life had he begged so much to a person, and it came out to be always her.

But like other people, though Seohyun is the closest to perfection, she too has her flaws. She always has this firm decision that sometimes make her feel regret - including the matter between them. Once a girl finally says it's final then it's final.

His words have gotten into her, 'Take it back Jong-In? How could I do that as if I did not hurt you awhile ago? For reals...you're making me look like an awful person.'

She was also tormenting inside.

As soon as she get a little hold of her self, before she too could lose her sanity as well, she gripped to it continued acting tough.

"Wipe your tears Jong-In." she tried her very best to contain her real emotions.

Her eyes were also glistening, "Take it back? Don't you think you're being too delusional these days?"

Tears automatically gushed down out of her eyes; she was ripping her own heart.

"To tell you the truth I've just been sticking to our agreement ever since. You heard me right, ever since I mean even before making that contract." she continued as soon began breaking down.

His mind lagged at that moment, trying hard to comprehend the statement of the latter. 'Am I being delusional myself all along?'

"I helped you because...because you begged." she said in between her sobs almost incoherently, for the first time in her life she really tricked herself big time.

As he got the littlest sanity back in him, he pulled her for a tight hug. "I don't really know why I am really doing this anymore, that was -."

But before he could even continue, she already cut him with her words, not wanting the latter to make her waver even more, she reminded him. "Jong-In, get a hold of yourself. Have you forgotten your purpose why we're doing this? Let me remind you again, it's all for your inheritance."

He buried his face in her dark wavy hair at that moment, not uttering a word; he just wanted to remain like that for a moment if everything he was just really being delusional.

"But can't things change?" he asked with the littlest hope he has.

"Let's stick to our original plan Jong -" she got cut when he suddenly kissed her forehead. Sure thing, he became dear to her because he is the most gentle when it comes to her.

"Okay now, I understand you."  He paused as he contained himself from sobbing. "I am being delusional, and I am sorry for making it hard for you."

Truthfully, it was the most pretentious moment in between them.

She faintly smiled, "That's why let's just play pretend but never invest too much feelings." She couldn't even hear the exact lies she was saying.

"M-Maybe y-you're right Joo Hyun...noona." he couldn't do anything but to agree with the latter.

They couldn't help it but to play pretend in front of each other.


As if nothing had happened they ate supper with others together.

Jong-In definitely lost his appetite and was just playing the pasta served to him making occasional glances of Joo Hyun when Tiffany called his attention.

"Kai-ah, may I have a moment with you after dinner?" her tone was indeed hyped. Her eye smiles it all.

"S-sure Tiffany-noona."

"Make sure you eat your dinner, don't play with it or else I'll get mad at you." she conversed to the latter childishly like always.

"Fine Tiffany-noona I will eat a lot." he willfully obeyed the latter.

 

Seohyun could not help herself but to just make occasional glances at him as well.

"Joo Hyun-noona, Jong-In's just the dearest dongsaeng for Tiffany-noona." he gave her a reassuring look.

She nodded as if she still needed such explanation after all that have happened between them the whole day.

 

As soon as they finished eating supper Tiffany pulled Jong-In to her office.

"Why so excited Tiffany-noona?" he gave the latter a puzzled look.

"Jong-In I'm too glad I've found the culprit that caused you guys a problem." the fashion designer had all her eye smiles out to the latter.

He was almost oblivious about the matter being mentally knocked-out with all the happenings that occurred. "Could you please be clear Tiffany-noona?"

"It's Butler Ho Dong, Kai-ah. He was the one who plotted the internet scandal of you two." she paused and observed the facial expression of the young man, "All you gotta do is interrogate that sneaky Head Butler and make him admit to Joo Hyun so everything can be fixed and you two don't have to divorce anymore, isn't your Tiffany-noona great?"

All he could give the fashion designer was a faint smile, "Thank you Tiffany-noona, you're sneakily great."

"But what's with that kind of face my favorite dongsaeng?"

He fraudulently chuckled and uttered, "That matter, I don't think it's still necessary to settle it anymore."

She knew him very well, like what she always says, he might be good in hiding his true feelings but he was never great in lying.

"What's the problem again Kai-ah?" she anxiously asked the latter.

"Joo Hyun-noona and I just talked this afternoon that no matter what happens we'll pursue the divorce after one year." seriously he couldn't look to the fashion designer directly.

"Does it hurt that much Kai-ah?" Tiffany went near him and gave him the usual comforting hug she usually gives him when they were still young.

"N-No, at all Tiffany-noona. I must confess that's how we planned it even before." his tone went shaky upon denying.

The fashion designer patted his back upon feeling the silent sobs of the young gentleman, “Kai-ah, I told you, lie to all the maids and the butlers of this mansion but not to your Tiffany-noona.”

“Noona, I’m not lying it’s just that something has gotten into my eyes, your hair’s curls are sure itchy.” He brought up an excuse to cover up.

“Just cry, you’re too obvious you can’t even think of a proper lie.”

Like the old days whenever the heir needs someone to who he could let his heart cry out loud, it was always Tiffany he always runs to.

"You've approached her, right?" she asked.

"Ahuh." he answered sobbing like the usual little Jong-In the fashion designer used to look after long before.

"Do you think you already gave your best?" though she sees the obvious, she needs to confirm it from him.

"Ahuh."

"Then give your all next time Kai-ah. But cry out loud for now. Never quit, you still have eight more months to make things right.”


Sure thing, Mr. Wu and Milady Kim have not met for another ethics lesson that evening. Like what they have used to do from several days ago, they spent their time reading books and sharing thoughts about random things together though this time milady merely uttered a word and completely indulged her self reading her self-improvement genre novel.

“So where are you designated starting tomorrow?” the mysterious gentleman broke out the extreme silence between them.

“My score qualified for SNUH Wu Fan-oppa.” She faintly smiled.

“Congratulations to that.” He complemented the latter aware of the hospital’s prestige “You’re assigned with whom?”

Even her husband’s name has gotten piercing on her part. She almost incoherently replied, “Both Jong-In and I got in SNUH.”

“Haven’t you two talked about things? You should, you two cannot act all the way like this since you need each other’s support especially now.”

“We talked this morning, and even this afternoon Wu Fan-oppa.”  Balls of tears started to form from the inner side of her eyes.

“Don’t tell me that you two have talked and it just worsened the situation?” he asked the obvious as the latter instantaneously laid her head on his shoulders and silently wept.

“Tell me what exactly happened?” he asked once again.

“I – I…” words cannot come out properly from as she felt the guilt building inside her. “I caused it Wu Fan-oppa, I told him to stick with our contract.”

“Contract of what?”

“…Our agreement that we will have a divorce after a year of marriage.” She sobbed and buried her face into his shoulder even more. “I told him that he was just being too delusional that’s why we’ve become like this.”

He knew he could not hush the latter and just let her howl her heart out at that moment. After all, stopping the latter won’t make her feel better.

“I’m surprised with what you just told me. You seemed to be like a growing couple in front of us, honestly Joo Hyun.” He expressed. “I know that you two are not in good terms these past several days, but what exactly pushed you to do that?”

The question slapped her again reminding how aggressively decisive she was when she uttered her words to her husband. She was hesitant to open it up, when the mysterious gentleman repeated the same question, “What exactly pushed you to do that”

She even cried harder, to no avail she confessed, “All I know is I was angry, I got fed up watching him having time with Soo Jung.”

'Jealousy.' it instantly sprung out to the mysterious gentleman's vocabulary. He patted the back of the latter that was the best thing he could offer her, make her feel comfortable in his presence.

"Joo Hyun, maybe it's too much for my ethics lessons. I should teach you when and when not to contain these coming days." he tried to lighten up the mood. Even if he seems so wise, heart matters aren’t really his forte.

"Huh?" Joo Hyun retorted from him and sat back straight. She didn't really understand what the meaning of the mysterious gentleman’s jest was.

"I'm sorry, I too, isn't really that great when it comes to those kinds of thing Joo Hyun. But I can offer is just this." he referred to his shoulder.

It was quite funny to picture out that the mysterious gentleman could become silly at times. Hence, his presence has given her a sense of peacefulness - at that moment.

She then laid her head on his shoulder once again.

"Joo Hyun-ah, you're not in your best shape today, and honestly you look awful." he jest once again.

"I know right Wu Fan-oppa, who would look great when they're crying."

He couldn't help it; the fact that he's also no good in joking makes it more difficult for him. He then switched to his usual adviser mode, "Joo Hyun-ah just always remember that in any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing you can do is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing. If you commit step two, don't hesitate to go back in step one, okay?"


And so, the next day came. Joo Hyun intentionally went earlier than required at Seoul National University Hospital to familiarize the place, and obviously to avoid going there together with Jong-In.

She looked at her wrist watch and it says, 5:54 AM, she was seemingly equivalent to a retard because of going to that hospital two hours earlier than they were required.

She then roamed around the hospital grounds to get to see the whole new place she needed to dwell at for more or less than seven months.

'For seven months I'm going to deal in this place, after that month...' she cut herself from thinking, realizing that she has only one month left of being a milady after finishing the internship. 'I guess I also became delusional.'  She heaved a deep sigh thinking of the fate that awaits her; she cannot deny herself that she has gotten used to her life inside the mansion. She has gotten used to live as Milady Kim, wife of the most affluent heir in Asia - Kim Jong-In.

She eased herself killing her time walking around the hospital. It was almost thirty minutes before their call actual time when she decided to go to the particular laboratory where they we're assigned to.

"Excuse me, this is Body Fluids laboratory, right?" a seemingly familiar stranger approached her.

She furrowed her eyebrows intently looking and remembering the young man. Definitely, she cannot be wronged except for the fact that she has seen her with his hair down; she couldn't forget him even if his hairdo is shorter and looked cleaner.

"Yes, this is Body Fluids section. Perhaps you are Mr. Yi Xing, right?"

"Yes. I'm Zhang Yi Xing. You too." he pointed a finger to her. "I remember you. You're that girl in London."

"Annyeong hasaeyo Kim Joo Hyun-imnida." she instantly greeted the latter politely.

"A-annyeong hasaeyo Zhang Yi Xing-imnida." he bowed vigorously upon realizing that they've already met each other twice yet he never introduced himself properly to the fine young lady in front of him.

Indeed, the surrounding feels a lot calming with the presence of the young gentleman.

"I haven't thanked you properly Mr. Yi Xing." she then opened her backpack and searched for something.

"You really don't have to Joo Hyun, right? Your name sounds familiar."

"Here." she handed the handkerchief he lent her during their unexpected encounter in London.

He got surprised that the young lady in front of him still kept the handkerchief he lent him - he himself has forgotten that she lent her his handkerchief.

"Gee, thanks." he accepted the hanky, "So, your surname is Kim right?" he thought once more for a moment.” Perhaps, you're the new Milady of the Kims? Her name sounded like yours."

“Well yes.” She shyly admitted.

“Oh, sorry for acting all casual.” He rubbed his nape embarrassed with his rather relaxed attitude towards the latter. “So, you’re probably working in here.” he presumed.

“No, not yet.”  She shook her head. “Actually it’s my first day of internship here.”

His facial expression instantaneously brightened up, “Really? I’m also an intern here. Well, with another three students from Dongguk University, I was chosen to become an exchanged student from Changsha Medical College.”

“So you’re going to spend your internship here?” she asked.

“Yes, well of course I need to go back and forth at times.” He extended his hand to the latter for a handshake. “Glad to unexpectedly meet you here again.” He warmly smiled.

She then shook the young gentleman’s hand, she could just agree, “Yes. We’ve seen each other unexpectedly for the second time.

The two spent their time talking as they kill the remaining time while waiting for the instructor who would assign them in a particular laboratory section.

 

 

It was almost their call time when Jong-In arrived at SNUH; he wasn’t really in good shape since he barely slept during the evening. And it was Soo Jung who first saw him.

“Kim Jong-In, let’s go to the laboratory together. Goodness we’re late!” she pulled his hand and sprinted their way to the hospital’s Body Fluids laboratory.

Apparently it seems that they were lucky that the instructor who was in charge of them was no still around.

“Sheesh! Instructors are always late Jung Soo Jung we shouldn’t have run like that!” he complained panting when they reached the door of the said laboratory.

“Gramps! Don’t act like a diva here because we’re not, we’re interns impress them in the first day!” she argued and swung the door open.

Joo Hyun and Yi Xing were checking on some tissue specimens using a microscope together when the door of the laboratory opened.

“So this is literally the appearance of a cardiac tissue that undergone cardiac arrest. Awesome!” Joo Hyun expressed as she adjusted the microscope focus properly showing the said tissue.

“Let me see.” She then let the gentleman to see the specimen on the microscope himself.

She flinched from where she was standing when she saw Jong-in and Krystal together in the front of the laboratory door.

“Good morning Seohyun-unnie!” Krystal with her usual cheerful self greeted the older girl and eventually diverted her gaze to the heir, “See, even you’re wife is already here.”

She couldn’t even utter a respond to the latter, so as Jong-In who remained frozen upon seeing her.

“Indeed, this really looks cool.” The gentleman expressed still focused on the tissue specimen set in the microscope. “But it’s not cool to have a cardiac arrest.”

“Of course it’s not really cool.” She stated the obvious to agree to the latter.

“Perhaps he is Mr. N/A?” Krystal asked presumably.

Seohyun tapped the gentleman’s shoulder, “Mr. Yi Xing let me introduce you to Jong-In and Krystal.”

He then stood up, went near to the two and introduced himself properly, “Good morning, Zhang Yi Xing – imnida.”

“Jung Soo Jung – imnida.” The heiress greeted back.

He then diverted his attention to the heir and extended his hand for a handshake. “Zhang Yi Xing – imnida.”

The heir shook the hand of the latter, “Kim Jong-In – imnida.” Indeed, seeing his wife just made him all tired even if it’s just early in the morning. He kept glancing on her but she won’t even bother to look back at him.

 

“So what’s up? I presume you’re Mr. N/A. I’ve just seen your name like yesterday when our names got posted.” Krystal budged in the middle of the two.

“Well, we’ve I’ve just been talking with Ms. Joo Hyun here, well I mean Mrs. Kim here while waiting for the instructor.”  he corrected himself. Hence, he reasoned out his opinion indirectly.

“Ah, good thing you know Joo Hyun-unnie is already married.” She pointed to the heir who was beside her. “Unfortunately unnie is married with this dope beside me.”

“Ah, I’m sorry, I’m sorry. Mrs. Kim doesn’t really look like a Mrs. to me.” The gentleman apologized to the heir. But his reasoning kind of rang a bell to Jong-In, making the atmosphere of the laboratory uncomfortable.

 

 

Minutes passed and the instructor arrived in the laboratory and partnered them based on their grades. Fortunately it was Ms. Victoria, so it was quiet relieving to the three of them.

“So Kim Jong-In, Jung Soo Jung you two are going to be assigned in the Blood Bank section since you two got higher GWAs, but still, be extra careful I’m reminding you for the nth time always follow safety precautions.” She then diverted her attention to the heiress who has a newly permed hair, “And Soo Jung, tie your hair even if it is just permed yesterday.”

“Yes Ma’am.” She immediately complied.

She earned a hideous smirk from her all-time partner. “Who told you to get a hair perm when you know that you’ll be tying your hair here all the time?”

“Envy much Jong-In?” she smacked the limb of the latter.

 

 

“Mrs. Kim, Mr. Zhang I’ll entrust you this section, but be sure that you’ll get to handle liquid specimens very well. Double your gloves to prevent needle-stick and liquid splash injuries, okay?”

“Yes Ms. Victoria.” The two answered in unison.

“Very well then.” The instructress left the laboratory.

 

 

“So laboratory hours will start at 9, right?” the heiress looked at her watch and it was just 8:40am. “We still have twenty more minutes.” She bit her lip in excitement.

“Jong-In, could you lend me your Ipad?”

“You’re Samsung’s heiress right? Hell no, use your tab instead, you might break mine.” He declined.

“Just for fun Jong-In.” she went near him, and forcefully snatched his backpack from his grip. “Let’s take pictures of us four. Just for fun.” She took out his Ipad from his bag.

“No! Use yours!” he forcefully grabbed his Ipad from the latter and raised it high enough away from her reach.

“Gosh, I’m not going to install any games there.” she put both of her hands on her waist, and eventually jumped high and get the Ipad from his grip and ran away from him.

“Stupid Jong-In!” she stuck her tongue out and intentionally put herself in between Yi Xing and Seohyun.

“Yah! Don’t you dare!” Cold sweats started to form on his forehead nervous that the clever heiress would figure out his password. He attempted to near her but then, his wife was near the playful heiress, and still they are not okay.

“Since when did you learn how to put password Jong-In?” the heiress sarcastically remarked and thought of the possible passwords she could type. She tried his birth date first, “1.14.94. No it’s seven digits.”

“Could it be Joo Hyun?” she touch typed the digits that could spell out the older girl’s name, but still she got it wrong.

KRYSTAL?” she really has high confidence to even tried her name. ‘5797825’ but still not the rights pass code. She then diverted her gaze to Joo Hyun who was next to her and asked. “Joo Hyun-unnie what’s your nickname again?”

“Seohyun. Why Krystal?” she gave the latter a puzzled look.

“Let’s just take pictures using Jong-In’s Ipad, just for remembrance.” She responded casually.

The milady could’ve hardly glanced to her husband.

The heir gulped all the liquids in his mouth.

“SEOHYUN – 7364986’ the heiress touched typed the digits corresponding to the milady’s nickname. She then successfully broke the code.

Jong-In couldn’t even show his face in front of the three, as his secret was unveiled by the wicked heiress.

The three almost popped their eyes out from their sockets the moment they’ve seen the heir’s Ipad wallpaper – a stolen photograph of the husband-and-wife while Milady Kim was soundly sleeping.

“So this is what you’re hiding?’ Krystal asked in her sarcastic manner stating the obvious.

Seohyun recalled the time when she slept on his shoulder when they we’re riding a double-decker going to Piccadilly. ‘So this is why he doesn’t let me play on his Ipad anymore.’

Her heart fluttered for him once more, but eventually felt pain for not listening to his plead for the last time.

She mentally noted herself, ‘Seohyun-ah, you cannot be all delusional again.