Traffic Jam

MACHINE (Gotta get to her heart)

 

“Soojung, Myungsoo is waiting for you downstairs.”
“Mom, Suho might help.”
“No. Don’t call him. “
“Soojung baby.. ”
“Soojung, if there’s any problem, you can tell mom okay? “
“Or daddy. Do you want mommy to give him a call?”
“Or.. your brother, Suho.”
“Alright! I give up! Tao, call your brother.”
 
I was pretending to sleep, my face covered with a pillow. I could feel my mom’s hand brushing through my hair. Footsteps coming.
 
“What’s wrong?”
“I’ve been trying to wake her up since like 30 minutes ago but she refuses to get up. Myungsoo is waiting for her downstairs.” 
“Alright, let me handle this.”
“As much as I want you to stay out of this, well I guess I don’t have a choice.”
“Why? Did I do something wrong?"
“Look, I know their relationship is on the rock now, and I know you hate Myungsoo. Seeing you two are very close, your words can easily affect her.”
“Stop beating around the bush, mom.”
“What I’m trying to say is, let her decide on her own. And besides, she’s a big girl now.”
“Look mom, if my opinion matters to her that much, then they should’ve broken up like 4 years ago.” 
"Ouch!"
“Stop joking around!" 
“Just saying..”
"I’ll leave this to you.”
..
...
 
“Very clever, Soojung. Now get up!”
I removed the pillow on my head, “I thought you’re on my side?”
He sat at the end of my bed, "I am, but you cannot hide from him forever."
I got up from a lying position and faced him, "I'm not. I said I'll talk to him when I'm ready."
"Better end it now before it's too late." He muttered.
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"If this got put off, I'm 100% sure he'll win your heart back like nothing happened, like the last time." He ruffled my hair.
"Unless you already changed your mind?" He gave me a questioning look.
"N-no! Of course not!" I mumbled.
"Anyway, just like what mom said, you're a big girl now. Whatever your decision is, I'm just here to support you.." He sighed.
"That's very convincing." I grabbed a pillow and threw it on him.
He laughed and then stood up, preparing to leave, "Fix yourself now and face him."
"Okay.." I heaved a sigh.
 
After all, he was right..
I went to the bathroom, cleaned myself up, and changed my sleeping clothes.
"Don't you dare cry in front of him, Jung Soojung!!" I reminded myself. 
I took a deep breath and dragged my feet downstairs, which took me forever.
I just want this day to end so badly!!!
 
----
 
Three days have passed, I barely go out of my room, I barely eat. I changed my number the day Myungsoo and I broke up, and up until now i haven't talked to any of my girlfriends yet, not even Suzy. None of them knew I changed my number. But no worries, I asked my brother to pass a message on to them for me, telling them I was sick and too weak to go out, that I needed time to rest. 
 
I have finished reading Norwegian Wood and Catcher in the Rye, now I have nothing else to do. Guess now is the right time to go out.. Shopping? I actually have a long list of must-buy items in the bookstore and grocery: 1) baking needs; 2) new books to read; 3) painting supplies. I need to keep myself busy or else I might do something reckless. 
 
I checked myself at the mirror after taking a bath, and I just realized... I look terrible. 
 
It took me about 30 minutes as i rummaged through my closet, then I finally settled on wearing a loose white V-neck tee, ripped denim shorts, and a black cap.          
 
---
 
"Mom?" I peeked at the kitchen before leaving.
"Oh. Finally!!" She took off her apron and gloves, then gave me a long hug.
"Oh dear.." She gasped as she carefully examined my face.
"I'm fine, don't worry." I smiled weakly. 
"Stay. I'll cook something for you." She insisted.
I gave her a quick peck on the cheek, "I'll be back in an hour or two, I promise! I just need to buy something at the mall." 
"JUNG SOOJUNG!!" Mom yelled as I ran fast outside.
 
---
 
"Dang, this is heavy! I should've asked my brother to come with me!" I found myself muttering as I walked outside the book store. 
 
I was too busy complaining that I didn't notice the middle-aged woman in front of me. I bumped in to her and one of the shopping bag I was carrying fell on the floor.
 
"Oops, I'm sorry." I apologized.
I pulled my cap lower as I picked up my things.
That. Was. Embarrassing.
"Watch where you walk, young lady." Said the middle-aged.. WAIT! That was a man's voice. 
And just when i thought it couldn't get any worse..
I checked on him from head to toe.
He's wearing a Vans, black jeans, grey V-neck shirt, damn those collarbones..
 
Holy moly. 
 
"Let me help you with that." He grabbed my shopping bags as soon as I finished picking the last piece of my painting supplies that fell on the floor. 
"Shopping alone, eh?" He asked.
"Uhh yes, unfortunately." I said, not looking at him. 
"How about you?" I continued the conversation as we walk.
"Oh. I was looking for a gift, then I saw you.." He looked at me and smiled. 
"Oh, but I can handle myself now so don't bother. Thanks for the help, by the way." I uttered as I tried taking the shopping bags off his hands. 
"Just kidding." He ignored my hands as we continued walking. 
"So where are you going next?" He suddenly asked.
"Home." I answered.
"How about we go eat?" He suggested. 
"No thanks. Mom said she's preparing something for me at home, so.." I alibied. I just don't want people to think that we're on a date or something.
"Oh, okay." He muttered.
"So what's the occasion? You said you're looking for a gift, right?" I asked. 
He laughed, "I was just kidding. Mom asked me to pay the bills."
"Oh..", was all that I could answer.
"Are you planning to take a cab? I can drive you home." He wiggled is eyebrows as he waited for my answer. 
I couldn't help but laugh. Though that'd be convenient on my part, it's best to just decline the offer. "No tha.."
"I won't take no for an answer, sorry." He grinned. He didn't even let me finish, really..
"You're a one weird guy, seriously." I mumbled. 
 
"Wait here. I just need to buy something." We stopped at my favorite Italian restaurant and I just sighed as I watched him make his way towards the counter. Truth is, I was planning to eat here after shopping. If only he didn't saw me, I probably am eating happily now. 
 
I giggled as I watched him struggle while taking out his wallet. Silly, he probably thought I would run away if he let me carry my things. 
 
"You should just let me carry those, y'know." I muttered seconds after he went out of the restaurant.
"I'm sorry if I'm not that stupid." He smirked as he looked at me. 
I punched him in the shoulder, following him as he make his way to the parking lot. 
I checked my watch and it was already past 1PM. No wonder my tum-tum was already asking for food, I haven't eaten a thing yet.
 
As we got closer to his car, he suddenly burst out laughing. 
My forehead creased.
"What are you laughing at?" I asked annoyingly. 
"Looks like someone is hungry. Oops, I mean angry." He teased as he placed my shopping bags at the backseat of his car.
"Wait! I'll sit at the back." I said when he was about to close the door.
He then raised his hands, blocking me, "Hold up, Ms. Krystal Jung. This is my car, so you'll sit wherever I want you to sit. I'm not your personal driver, you know." 
 
How can he have the guts? I mean, boys never make fun of me. Oh wait, he's Kim Jongin a.k.a. the infamous KAI after all. Sometimes he's warm; sometimes he's cold. It depends on the situation. 
 
"Fine!" I groaned.
 
---
 
"See that white paper bag? Can you hand it to me?" He asked, looking at the rearview mirror.
"Sure." I grabbed the paper bag in the backseat and handed it to him.
"That's yours." He muttered, keeping his hands on the steering wheel. 
"What??" I asked confusingly.
"Eat it." He ordered.
"But this is not mine." I answered honestly. I know he bought it for someone else, maybe for his mom, but definitely not for me. Maybe he pitied me because he thought I was already starving to death, seeing I lose so much weight. 
He smiled as he saw my face, "I bought it for you, silly! Like I didn't know you love pastas."
 
Of course, who wouldn't love pastas anyway?
I gulped. Trust me, I'm hungry but not up to the extent that I would eat someone else's food. I'm not a pig! 
But... 
 
I bit my lower lip as I stared at the paper bag. I-T-A-L-I-A-N-N-I-S.  
He chuckled, "Want me to feed you?" 
"Ha! No thanks. But hey, you should've bought something for yourself too. How about we share?" I suggested, though that's not really a good idea. 
"I'm not hungry. In return, you owe me a treat." He winked. 
"Oh.. okay. Thanks, by the way." I muttered, lowering my head as I carefully opened the take-out box that was inside the paper bag.  
 
Creamy white sauce pasta with sliced bacon and strips of chicken .. Heaven.
He the music while I was already half finished with my food, obviously not paying attention to anything. 
 
#NOWPLAYING Slow Down - Bobby Valentino
 
He let out a small laugh, "You still wiggle your shoulders when you eat."
"Oh.. maybe because I enjoy eating that much." I laughed at my own words. My mother is a good cook that's why, and apparently, I also inherited this very unusual trait from her. 
"Where are we now?" I murmured as I wiped my mouth with tissue. 
He grabbed something at his side and handed it to me, "Here."
"Uhh, thanks!" I uttered as I grabbed the bottled water off his hands.
"Traffic jam. We're still across the mall." He answered.
"When did you get your car fixed?" I asked after taking a drink. I suddenly remembered the scene at the coffee shop and tried hard not to laugh. 
 
#NOWPLAYING Teach Me - Musiq Soulchild
 
"The other day. Done eating?" He asked. 
I shyly laughed at the question, "Yuup. Thanks again." 
"You should eat more. Man, you look..." I cut him off. 
".. terrible, I know." then I finished his sentence.
".. like a walking toothpick." He continued.
"You're so straightforward." I commented.
"You're no different." He retorted, then we ended up laughing together. 
 
#NOWPLAYING Outta My System - Bow Wow
 
"R&B Collection Vol. 6?" I asked. The track list that was playing was totally familiar.
"Yuup. How did you know?" He muttered.
"I have the same one. My brother gave it to me on my last birthday." I recalled.
...
..
.
#NOWPLAYING Ordinary People - John Legend
 
"Uhm, can I ask you something?" He uttered. 
"Sure, go ahead." I smiled at him.
His face suddenly became serious, "Why did you hate me?" 
I bit my lower lip and lowered my head, "I've heard a lot of things about you."
"Like what?" His forehead creased. 
"Like you dumping Yoona for another girl. She was my friend." I looked outside the window, avoiding his gaze. 
"What!? How could I dump her when he was never my girlfriend!?" He blurted. 
"Really? Then how about those girls you flirted at school?" I snapped. 
"Tch. It's not my fault that girls love me." He snapped back.
I rolled my eyes, "You're a big fat liar." 
"Well, girls choose to believe what they want to." He said coldly. 
"Boys are no different." I retorted. 
..
...
"Juniel is my first girlfriend."
 
Well, that ended pretty bad. 
 
---
 
We remained silent until we reached home.
"Thanks for the ride." I pulled a fake smile. 
I was struggling to open the gate when suddenly someone grabbed my by the arm.
Kai scratched his head, "I forgot to ask your number." 
I let out a laugh, "Are you punishing me?"
He grabbed the shopping bags off my hands and handed me his phone.
I was kind of hesitating if I should give him my number or not, but then I gave in, "Here ya go."  
He handed back my shopping bags and opened the gate for me before he leaves.
"Thank you." I muttered and gave him a smile. 
He chuckled, "How many times do you have to thank me?" 
"As long as you're there to help me." It may sound cheesy but I really mean it.
 
--
 
"Mom, I'm home!" I shouted the moment I set foot inside the house. 
 
Oh shoot.
 
...
 
..
 
"You should've asked me to go with you." 
 
--
 
 
 
What do you guys think about this chapter???
Comments are really appreciated so please feel free to post :]
 
I finally decided to make Juniel (someone who looks innocent) as Kai's girlfriend. Don't worry though, this is Krystal's POV so she will rarely appear in the story ;)
 
Oh btw, I made this short Kaistal MV a month ago: