- - c h a p t e r 2 3 - -

Exo High

- - - - - - - - - -   e   x   o    h   i   g   h    2   3  - - - - - - - - - -

 

 

"Is it true?" The newcomer asked as he stepped out of the shadowed area, towards them, where the sunlight was bathing them. 

Kyungsoo tore his gaze from the newcomer, whom he knew as Suho, to Kris. The taller boy had turned a pale shade, as his eyes widened in shock. Bet, he didn't expect the boyfriend to barge in on their argument. Now that he was here, it was about time to lay it all.

"W-What do you mean?" Kris' voice dropped to a whisper.

Suho bit his trembling lips while his eyes darted from Kris to Kyungsoo, and back again. "Is it true that you're married?"

"Love, look, let me explain."

"Just answer me. Are you? Yes or no?" The gentle eyes that had always bored into Kris turned cold.

"Yes, but-"

"All this time you were married? And you didn't tell me?" Suho's voice cracked from under the intense emotion running through him.

Kris held up his hands, as his heart thumped hard under his ribcage, deafening his hearing. All he could hear was his heartbeat as reality began to sink in. His fear of losing the love of his life fuelled him to speak up.

"Listen, just hear me out, please." Kris said in a very soft tone, it sounded like he was almost begging. Kyungsoo was beyond caring, but he was still all ears. In his peripheral vision, he noticed Suho taking another step closer.

"Let me just explain. When I asked you to be my boyfriend, I wasn't married, I swear." Kris raised his right hand up to his ear level. "Our families had decided to brings us together since young. None of us knew this. Kyungsoo's grandpa's dying so as his last wish, we were to get married for his sake. I didn't want to, belive me, love. I didn't. But I didn't have a choice. I planned to divorced him the moment his grandpa dies and marry you instead, because I love you so much."

Suho snorted. "You love me, really? By lying all this time?"

"I didn't want to burden you."

"But you still lied to me!" Suho tried to hold back the tears that threatened to fall. "Are you toying with my feelings? How could you? I love you with all my heart and yet..."

All this while, Kyungsoo stood quietly, watching their exchanges. Kris made no move from where he stood, his eyes boring into Suho's, begging for forgiveness. The latter looked away, anywhere but Kris. It was painful to watch the love emitting from both of them. He felt like a third wheel.

Clutching the necklace tightly, Kyungsoo yanked it hard. "I thought you changed. But, you didn't. You can have this back." He threw the necklace at Kris, hitting his shoulder.  "This ring? It doesn't mean anything, anymore. You can bloody have it back." He pulled the band from his ring finger and threw it at his feet.

"And lastly," Kyungsoo waved the paper in his hand, "these are the divorce papers. It's signed. You can bloody have this too." He threw piece by piece, scattering on the floor.

"Kyungsoo, I'm sorry." Kris started to say as guilt began to bloom inside him. "I didn't mean to... hurt anyone."

"Oh, that's the best joke I've ever heard in my entire life!" Kyungsoo laughed despite his narrowed eyes. "You know what? From this day onwards, I've got nothing to do with you anymore."

Suho watched one of the papers fluttered far away, carried by the wind before snapping his head towards Kyungsoo who seemed to be talking to him.

"I'm done with him. You can have this liar." Kyungsoo threw over his shoulder before slamming he door close, leaving Suho alone with Kris.

Suho watched the closed door for the longest time. Then he turned to Kris. He opened his mouth to say something but nothing came out. So, he closed them. Seeing Kris' face made his heart sank to the bottom of abyss. Why did this have to happen? Suho felt his heart shattering into a million pieces. He didn't think it can be put together. Not anytime soon. Or never at all. Even with all his might, he couldn't stop the tear from wetting his cheeks. Suho turned away, not wanting Kris to see it.

"Suho, please, it never ever crossed my mind to hurt you. I thought it was best not to burden you with these arrangement. I swear I love you, Suho."

Nothing could be undone. History can't be rewritten. So does his heart. He did the only thing right at that moment, which was to walk away. It was too much to take in. His heart couldn't handle this much heart break. Suho let his legs take one step forward, followed by another, and another. And soon he was making his way towards the door.

Suddenly, a hand grasped his wrist, stopping him.

"Don't go, love. Please." Kris begged, voice cracking.

Suho felt his his stomach flip. He jerked his hand away and continued his path.  He heard Kris calling out to him. But he didn't look back. Not even once.

 

- - - - - - - - - -   e   x   o    h   i   g   h   - - - - - - - - - -

 

The moment the door closed behind him, Suho practically ran down the flight of stairs in a blur, wanting to get out. It suddenly felt suffocating in this school where every corner of the school held memories of his times with Kris. Too painful to recall now, that it was all crystal clear. When he finally stepped foot out of the school, Suho let out a frustrated breath that he didn't realise he held.

Suho looked down at his feet as the tears broke free, swimming in his vision. If this was how a heartbreak was supposed to feel like, he didn't think he could love another and risk getting his heart being stomped on.

Out of nowhere, a finger tapped his shoulder like one would on a piano. Gentle. Suho looked over his shoulder, surprised to find Jongin.

"Suho, what happened?" Jongin asked but Suho wouldn't hear it. He brisked away, not wanting to bare his vulnerable self for the other boy. He didn't want to see the pity in his eyes. Suho couldn't.

Lost in his thoughts, Suho drowned out the voice calling out to his name. He kept walking. And walking. Suddenly, arms wounded around him. A warm body plastered to his back and lips buried in his hair.

"Please use my shoulder to cry on." Jongin whispered. "Just use me, if it makes you smile again."

 

- - - - - - - - - -   e   x   o    h   i   g   h   - - - - - - - - - -

 

Kris felt like he was being slapped on both cheeks. He didn't think this would happen. All his plans backfired and he was losing the person he loved. Without thinking, he ran down the steps till reached the compound area where he halted. Right then, he saw two retreating backs. One stood beside a black gleaming car, while the other was making his way towards the school's entrance gate.

Just like the howling of the wind, Kris felt the guilt eating his heart. His legs refused to move as his heart couldn't decide who he should go after. So, he just stood there and watched two of the most kindest man in his life... walked away.

 

- - - - - - - - - -   e   x   o    h   i   g   h   - - - - - - - - - -

 

Kyungsoo pulled the shirt off the hanger, folded it neatly before dumping it into his overnight bag. He didn't need much clothes because he still had a closet full in his former bedroom in the main house. This house, now felt like a prison. Getting away, was his first concern. He couldn't imagine living with the jerk of a guy anymore. Every time he thought of leaving Kris, his bled a little more. It was hard to let go of someone you love. But it had to be done. Even if it felt like his heart was being ripped apart.

 

- - - - - - - - - -   e   x   o    h   i   g   h   - - - - - - - - - -

 

I hope it's sad... coz that's what I'm aiming for.. I know it's heartbreaking... I'm in tears too...