If Your Heart's A Pocket Looking For Some Change, My Heart Makes Lots Of Sense

If Your Heart's A Pocket Looking For Some Change, My Heart Makes Lots Of Sense

"I don't think we should date," Baekhyun announced one day as he and Chanyeol were out at lunch. Chanyeol nearly choked on his kimchi.

"Who said we were dating?!" he gasped out, attempting to extricate the cabbage lodged in his throat.

Baekhyun shrugged. “No one. Not that I know of, at least. I was just saying that we shouldn't, you're not a relationship type person,” he crinkled his nose at the thought.

“Bu-what?! Why bring this up now?” Chanyeol managed. “Not saying I wouldn't want to date you or anything, but is this really an appropriate time to bring something like that up?!”

What would be an appropriate time, then?” Baekhyun asked, raising an eyebrow. When Chanyeol didn't have an answer, he continued. “Exactly. I just felt it needed to be said. We both like each other (“How come all this was decided without me?!”), but I won't date you until you prove yourself,” Baekhyun concluded, leaning forward on the table.

Wha-but who says I want to prove myself to you?! We've been best friends since preschool, I don't even know what you're talking abo-”

Chanyeol was cut off by Baekhyun laughing. “Dude, dude. Just admit you like me and we can move on. C'mon, isn't little Yeollie up for a small challenge?” Baekhyun grinned.

Chanyeol was silent for a minute before he sighed. “...fine. I'll do your little “challenge” but once I “prove” myself, you're the one paying for the date.”

Deal,” chuckled Baekhyun.

 

A few days later, Baekhyun got his first “present”...and he realized Chanyeol was indeed taking this challenge seriously.

"...huh?" Baekhyun asked, staring at the pocketful of wons in front of him on the table. Chanyeol groaned.

"Don't you have a romantic bone in your body? Think it over!" he yelled as he left the coffee shop. Baekhyun ignored the looks of curious businessmen and women as he tried to make sense of Chanyeol's lyric.

"Oh! I get it! Because change and sense...is like cents..." he stopped when he realized no one was with him. "...right."

A women next to him coughed awkwardly and he maturely stuck his tongue out at her, as would any other mature University student.

 

That wasn't the end of Chanyeol, however. Baekhyun soon found himself face-to-face with a stuffed dog.

"O...k, what's this one mean?" he asked, looking the toy over and taking notice of the velcro on its stomach, which he assumed contained a voicebox of some sort. He squeezed the dog's stomach to check and was satisfied when he heard the playful "ruff ruff!" from the toy.

"Open it!" Chanyeol urged, a proud smile on his face.

"You want me...to open up a toy dog? And you said I wasn't romantic..." he muttered as he ripped open the velcro. He saw the voicebox and pulled it out. "So?"

"No, look further!" Chanyeol insisted.

"What else is there?" Baekhyun mumbled, opening the plushie as wide as he could to look inside. A small object plopped into his hand.

Upon examination, it appeared to be a giant fake diamond ring, some gaudy thing a grandma would buy at a thrift store to brag about to her friends and pretend it was real. He then realized his name was scribbled on one side in what appeared to be sharpie.

"The cents one could at least be figured out somehow, but this," Baekhyun stated pointedly, holding up the plastic jewelry, "doesn't seem to mean anything."

"Ugh, you're hopeless! You're a diamond in the rough, because the dog...oh, forget it!" Chanyeol groaned dramatically and stomped away.

Baekhyun stared after him for a minute before turning back to the stuffed animal in his hands. He squeezed it again. And again, the dog made a "ruff ruff!" sound happily.

"Ooooohhhh..." he murmured.

 

Chanyeol seemed to enjoy horrible oneliners and stupid gifts and thus, Baekhyun found himself in for a third round.

"Ok, ok...I wanna try and guess this one, ok?" Baekhyun said, flipping through the instruction manual of an alarm clock, his name once again scrawled along the cover. "Alright, so...this represents me, right?" he asked, pointing at the booklet. Chanyeol nodded triumphantly. "And it's not a real alarm clock...why?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Like I'm gonna give you my own alarm clock, I need that. Just start guessing!"

"Umm...I'm loud and obnoxious? You want to destroy me?" he gasped dramatically. "Nothing seems particularly romantic about those..."

"No! My idea was actually cute," Chanyeol pouted, kicking a rock sadly.

"Wait! Let's see...I wake you up in the mornings? But I don't...hmm. I...sing annoying pop songs? That's true, but that can't be it..."

"No! It's cuter, I promise!" Chanyeol exclaimed.

"I give in, what is it?" Baekhyun sighed.

"Every morning the first thing I think about is touching you and oh my god that came out wrong- BAEKHYUN! COME BACK!" Chanyeol yelled when the older boy suddenly bolted. "I MEANT LIKE YOUR FACE OR-OR YOUR HAIR, NOT YOUR...YOU-KNOW-WHAT!!" he continued, chasing after Baekhyun.

 

After Baekhyun's continued avoidance of the younger (which lasted approximately a week, which was a week too long to Chanyeol), the younger tried again.

"Alright...so we've got sense and cents, ruff and rough, something stupid and erted with an alarm clock ("HEY!"), and now...a coffee table book on mountains? I...just...where are you finding these things?!"

"My house. My mom buys all this weird crap, it's not like she'll even notice its gone. She's got like 3 others," Chanyeol shrugged. "Anyway, are you gonna try guessing again?"

"Hmm. This better not be erted again, I'm warning you," he advised, side-eyeing Chanyeol.

"It's not! This one's actually really easy!"

"If you're sure..." Baekhyun mumbled, flipping through the pages of pretty landscapes. "I honestly have no clue this time," he groaned.

"You take my breath away!" Chanyeol grinned cheerily. "I'm not giving up until you guess one right!" he called over his shoulder as he walked away.

 

"Oh my god, not again," Baekhyun muttered as Chanyeol approached him the next day, hiding something behind his back. "What is it this time?"

"Ta-dah!" Chanyeol shouted, pulling a miniature toy police car into view.

"Hey-wait! That's mine!" Baekhyun yelled, grabbing the small toy and flipping it over. A childish "BB" was indeed written on the bottom.

Chanyeol leaned over to glance at the surface. "Huh. Didn't even notice that. Didn't you give this to me as part of some primary school confession? Ironic that you're getting it back in the form of a confession too," Chanyeol chuckled.

"Except we're in Uni now, and I'm curious how you were even able to find this..."

"Any guesses?" Chanyeol prodded.

"Is this supposed to represent me or you?"

"Not telling," Chanyeol replied in a sing-song voice, examining his nails boredly as he waited for Baekhyun to start guessing.

"Let's see...me being in your life has made you a better person? That's too broad...you'll arrest anyone that tries to hurt me? That doesn't even make sense..." Baekhyun went silent as he continued to flip the tiny car over.

"Any more guesses or should I tell you?" Chanyeol asked after a few minutes.

"Fine, just tell me," Baekhyun grumbled.

"You stole my heart...so you got arrested," Chanyeol laughed loudly as Baekhyun responded by chucking the small toy at Chanyeol's chest.

"That's stupid," the older complained.

"It's better than your guesses, idiot," Chanyeol shot back. "Be ready for tomorrow, the next one's great," he smirked.

 

"Why. Just...why," Baekhyun gasped, staring at the newest "gift" in horror.

"What? You don't like it?" Chanyeol asked mock-sadly, placing his hands over his heart dramatically.

"I'm fairly certain this is illegal in several countries," Baekhyun murmured in shock, still unable to look away from the monstrosity in front of him.

"Ah, it probably is, but it isn't here! I checked," Chanyeol smiled proudly.

"This is so over-the-top. Why...just why."

"I had time this weekend. Why not?"

"So you wouldn't give me a 5,000 alarm clock, but you'll pay for all the supplies and materials for this?" Baekhyun demanded, pointing at the giant mural of his name adorning the entire side of an abandoned building. It started monochromatically but gradually burst to color, a slew of a rainbow splattered along the graffiti'd wall.

"Are you gonna guess? It still took forever, even with Joonmyun hyung, Kyungsoo, Jongin, and Sehun helping me, and I don't want our effort to go to waste!" Chanyeol changed the topic easily.

"Gimme a minute, I'm still in shock- wait. The others helped with this?! How could they betray me like this..." he groaned, hiding his face in his hands. "I'm murdering every single one of them over the next week, you just wait and see, Chanye-"

"Just guess already!" Chanyeol moaned in frustration.

"Fine, fine, whatever. Lemme get closer...how did you reach this high?!" he shouted, the paint reaching meters above his head.

"There's these amazing things nowadays, they're called ladders," Chanyeol called back sarcastically. Baekhyun flipped him off as he continued to examine the building.

"Wait! I think I got this one!" he yelled excitedly, turning around to notice Chanyeol standing just a few meters away. "Oh...sorry, for screaming."

"No big deal, you think you got it?" Chanyeol asked, eyes shining brightly.

"I bring color to your world, right?" Baekhyun questioned confidently.

"Oh my god it's about time. I was running out of ideas," Chanyeol sighed in relief. "And money," he added as an afterthought. "So will you finally go out with me?"

Baekhyun tapped his chin in thought jokingly before laughing. "Yeah, yeah, we can date now," he smiled.

Sweet. Hey, if we come back tomorrow around noon, we can see this building get demolished!” Chanyeol grinned in excitement.

“I thought you were finally being romantic, jeez...” Baekhyun groaned.

“Hey, how else do you think I was able to afford this?! I'm not a walking piggy bank,” Chanyeol pouted, crossing his arms over his chest.

“You're special, Yeollie,” Baekhyun muttered after a minute, a small smile on his lips.

“Umm...thanks? Was that even supposed to be a compliment?”

“You take it however you want, yeobo~” Baekhyun chuckled. “Hey, if we watch the demolition, does that mean I don't have to pay for the date? Let's do that.”

“Cheapskate.”


 


 


 

So.........yeah. Hopefully this worked ok, I wanted fluff, and honestly, Baekyeol was the best couple for a story like this x) I don't even ship Baekyeol that much, so hopefully it was still good ^^

I don't really know how to describe Baekyeol's relationship in this story...they're supposed to be friends for a long time and eventually begin to fall for each other (and both know it), but neither are willing to make the first move. So...that kinda leads up to the first line, I guess? I know, it's weird. But cute...in a crackish way. x)

And uh, I don't know if people know what coffee table books are, but basically they're giant books (usually picture books with very little text) that you just have sitting around on your coffee table, so it makes you look all sophisticated when you have guests over or something xD I don't really know, my grandma used to have a bunch and I'd always look through them as a kid, so...that's where that came from ^^;;

I love you all~~~!!!!!!!! You guys are seriously the best, and I know I say that on everything I post, but I really, honestly do mean it with every tiny little fiber of my being :')