Chapter 8

Masked

Hangeng easily lifted the light Heechul carefully as the man fainted quietly in his arms from exhaustion.

As they went into camp, Hangeng ran into their room with the rest of the group behind them. They tore off the rags of what was left of Heechul's shirt with a knife to prevent hurting him and there were gasps of horror as they look at his body. 

The members immeditaly brought a bucket of precious ice to cool down the swelling and possibly prevent infections of the numerous cuts that were scattered accross the gaunt body. Hangeng was sure that he could see Heechul's ribs.

"KYUHYUN, WHAT HAS HE BEEN EATING?"

Kyuhyun just sadly looked at them, "He gave it to you,"

Everyone's eyes widdened as the puzzle clicked, why food had come easily despite the mental pain, how they didn't have to search as hard. How there wasn't as much burden despite so many people gone.

(break)

For months the group worked to heal. They had plenty of supplies which they had learned to ration and by luck they had found seeds and soil and were in the process of making an underground garden.

It took a while for them to trust one another again but soon everything was back to normal.

Almost.

Heechul had stopped speaking. Kyuhyun had explained that the leader had probably beaten the life out of Heechul or the will to live as he had probably been broken under his mask. 

For those months, Hangeng never left Heechul's motionless side, tending to the bruises, cuts, and broken bones. Soon, Heechul's physical body was healed, but he never moved.

(break)

It had been 6 months. The group was extremely worried about Heechul who still hadn't moved.

"Chullie, everyone worries about you...I worry about you....can you hear me?"

Of course I can Hannie, I'm just so tired. I was so tired of wearing that mask everyday, why should I move when reality is filled with so many trials? Even you said you hated me. My life is pointless.

"You know how much I love you right?"

Haha, you love me? You couldn't see my pain, you even told me you hated me. I bet you are just talking to me now to tell me you are moving on.

"I'll stay with you forever Chullie, but its time to wake up Sleeping Beauty."

Hangeng applied a soft gently kiss to the untouched lips of his lover waiting for a miracle.

But nothing happened.

Hangeng sighed, he whispered ,"So I guess miracles don't occur," 

He quickly turned away from Heechul as he felt tears run down his eyes.

"Yah, don't cry Hannie and don't get tears on me either!," A voice behind him croaked as two fragile arms hugged him, wiping the tears off his eyes.

Hangeng just began sobbing uncontrollably along with Heechul as the lovers tried to make up for all the broken time, and broken feelings.

The next day, Heechul would have to suffer by learning how to eat again after having his stomach shrink along with all the troubles that came with being part of the group. The group would burst also into tears as they would hug Heechul, but Leeteuk would just stand back as a look of acknowledgement and understanding would come between these two best friends.

Taemin would reunite with his long lost brother and Heechul would apologize something that caused a scandal.

Yet, for now, Heechul was content as he lay silently next to Hangeng, smelling each other's scent.