Chapter 2 - Our First Meeting

My First Love

I know it must be Jae Won, even if I haven't turn around to look at him, so I decided to joke around a little. "죄송합니다(joesonghabnida)4, wrong per-..." I looked up to see his face "...-son" I've decided he's the most handsome korean man I've ever met! Damn! Bomi unnie never told me he's  so much more charming in real! I can't keep my eyes off him, his tall athletic figure and his perfect dark eyes that are now looking at me softly. "Oh, so sorry. I thought you're the person I was supposed to meet" He run his fingers on his hairs while looking around, but he's showing no sign of leaving me.

"Gotcha! hahaha. Jae Won right? I'm Karin" I burst out laughing

"Ha! you sure did... hahaha so you're the famous Karin my cousin always talked about, huh?" he shook my hand and hugged me warmly. I can smell his fresh scent of perfume. He suddendly released me

"Hold on, I have to test you. What's the name of my loud cousin?" He eyed me suspiciously

"Kang Bomi unnie, the idol haters, haha. Now I can mention that since she's faraway"

"Oh, so she still hate it, huh? okay okay, you passed! I know it was you the moment I saw you anyway"

"So you're a psychic now? interesting..." 

He laughed again and bend to pick up my luggages "아니...(Ani)5 you're just exacly like I imagined"

"hmmm ugly and boring?"

"I'm not the one saying that" he stuck out his tongue at me before running away to his car with me chasing behind.

==================== 

"So how's my little Bomi doing? Is she doing fine with Minji ahjumma" he said while carrying my luggage

"She's doing fine, ahjumma too- wait... little Bomi? You're older than Bomi unnie?"

"Yeah, she's 22 right? I'm 24, so I guess that make me her 오빠 (Oppa)6"

"Huh, true, she always call you Jay. So I thought you guys are same age"

"That 짜식 (Jjasik)7... She did always called me Jay. How ironic, the only girl cousin and sister I have didn't even call me Oppa. Don't copy her, Karin-ah. Call me Jay-oppa instead. Try it"  he bend his head to the same level as mine

"Jay... oppa" I said nervously. Yeah sure, when you have such an angelic face looking at you from such a close distance.

He chuckled "그래 좋아요 (geurae johayo)8, Good girl!" he patted my head and giving me his adorable eye-smile. "talking about Bomi, I missed Minji-ahjumma's cooking..."

"Ah Bomi unnie said kiss and hug for you"

"그땐? (Geuddaen?)9 Where's my kiss and hug?"

"I did hugged you before Jay oppa"

"That's from you, where's from Bomi?" he smiled playfully

"야...죽고 싶어? (Ya... juggo sipeo?)10 " I stare at him with two hands on my waist. He laughed hard

"Well, well, well you're swearing words are impressive for a foreigner. Come, there's my car" he pointed at a black car parked near us.

Jay oppa is exactly like I have imagined. Fun, cheerful, full of laugh. And I gotta admit he's physically more attractive that in a picture. Even though his dark eyes make me can't take my eyes off him. Jay oppa speak english very fluently, making me even more comfortable around him.

I automatically walked on the opposite side when Jay oppa's putting my luggages in the car trunk from the right side, then I realized after a few seconds he was looking at me. "Do you want to open the door for me or you want to try to drive around Seoul? That's fine with me" he grinned playfully. Oh! right, I forgot they drive on the left in Korea, right. I thought he was going straight inside the car, instead he was intending to open the door for me, silly me! "Doesn't indonesian man open the door for you, karin-ah?"  I just shrugged, "Maybe, but I definitely never met them"

====================

Jay Oppa helped me move in to my dorm and after that he took me to a 포장마차 (Pojangmacha)11  that is not far from my dorm area to eat 떡볶이 (Ddeokbukki)12  ,, apparently there's a pojangmacha area near my dorm, so I have quick solutions if I had some midnight cravings, lucky! We're eating outdoor, the sky looks clear even though the wind still giving chills to my whole body. Me and Jay Oppa just can't stop chatting, joking and laughing our off, as if we've known each other since we were babies. And time flies, Jay Oppa can be anything except a boring person, so my worry before doesn't seem to fit any reason.

From my seat, I saw an old man curled up in a dark corner of the street near the alley, shivering with cold. His clothes are very thin despite this super cold weather. The old man attract my attention and Jay oppa noticed I've been staring at him, "one of the beggars" he explained

"Hm, I never thought I'd met a beggar or homeless people in korea. I haven't met one in Kwangju. That reminds me of Jakarta" I said feeling my throat choked up.

"Korea is one of the country, that have very little numbers of homeless people. Altought there's a fairly high standard of living here, there are always people who still end up falling through the cracks. Government did tried solving this problems in the past, but well... you see. What else can we do?" He said while sipping his soju. Jay Oppa's word makes me think. Yea, what can we do? Maybe not much, but there is something.

"I feel guilty. I'm here wearing nice warm clothes, eating delicious food and drinking warm drinks, with a nice friend to chat with. While he's out there alone, cold, maybe hungry. You think he would mind if I bought him some ddeokbukki?"

He looked at me, amazed. "He must be crazy if he mind because of someone's kindness. Come on, I'll take you" . So we order some food for the old man and walk towards him.

"잘지내요? (Jaljinaeyo?)13. 오늘은 너무 추워, 네? 할아버지, 너의 이름은 무엇십니까?  (oneulen neomu chuwo, ne? Hal-aboji, neoui ireumeun muohassibnikka?)14 " I smiled while reaching out my hand. He looks hesitated but finally shook my hand. His hand felt rough and freezing. "Kim Jong In" he answered with trembling voice. Jong In - halaboji didn't talk much, but it didn't stop me to keep chatting with him, sometimes with a little help from Jay Oppa as translator. Jong In-halaboji finished his soju and ddeokbukki in an instant, he does look starving. Before leaving that place, I gave him my scarf.

"방갑슴니다, 종인 할아버지. 전는 카린 입니다, 그리로 그는 심재원 입니다 (banggabseumnida, Jong In-halaboji. Jeoneun Karin-ibnida, geurigo geuneun Sim Jae Won ibnida)15 " I bowed a little introducing me and Jay Oppa. Jong In-halaboji just nod, his eyes are teary like tears could drop any time. 

"정말 고맙슴니다 (Jongmal gomabseumnida)16 " He said with teary eyes and hold my hands tight. "아니에요 (Anieyo)17. Oppa let's go" . We walked back to my dorm.

"Bomi didn't lie this time. Karin-ah  넌 너무 친절한 사람이야 (Neon neomu chinjeolhan saram-iya)18 " he said while putting on his scarf on my neck. I can't hide my blush, stupid cheek! "Thanks, oppa" I said, not able to look at his eyes. He just smiled and patted my head. We keep on chatting until we reach my dorm, not like a stanger who just met today... feels like we've been friends for years.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

4 ~ Sorry

5~  No

6 ~ for a girl to call older boy

7 ~ Something like "dude" or "that little..."

8 ~ yeah, right.

9 ~ Then?

10 ~ wanna die?

11 ~ Street stall; usually sells food

12 ~ Korean rice cakes

13 ~ How are you doin? 

14 ~ Today is so cold, huh? Grandpa, what's your name?

15 ~ Nice to meet you, Jong In-grandpa. I'm Karin and he is Sim Jae Won.

16 ~ Thank you very much

17 ~ No problem

18 ~ You're a very kind person

 

Chapter 2 is done~ wow I put in a lot of hangul here, just ask me if you didn't understand some word. I love comments ^^