Chapter 1 - Going to Seoul

My First Love

It was freezing cold. Incheon Airport was crowded with people, but still I feel very cold. After I get on with my luggage, I tried to avoide the crowd and sit on one of the chair pretending to read a book. That novel I brought, just so I don't look blank-faced when I'm waiting someone like this.

I bought that novel a month ago in one of the bookstore in Kwangju, a city where I homestayed for a korean learning program before I started my course for Korean Language from the basic. At first, I bought it for my korean reading practice and adding more korean vocabulary. But, even the simplest word failed to land on my brain.

I glanced on my watch. In a few minutes, I might see that man's face, Sim Jae Won for the first time in my life. Well, not exactly the first time. I've seen it for sometime through webcam when Bomi unnie is chatting with Jae Won. I've seen some pictures of him too from Bomi-unnie. He looks like he is a very fun person from the picture, but, oh well, virtual world can be deceiving.

When I'm in Kwangju, I homestayed with Kang Bomi and her mother, Kang Minji so I can learn korean faster. Because in their house, like it or not, I have to keep practicing my korean language. Kang Bomi,  is a bright fun girl, when her moods good. When it's bad she can nag nonstop and snapped at anyone near her. Thank god, she loved me, and she always introduced me to her friends as her Indonesian sister. Bomi-unnie is an only child, my presence at the house make it more livelier Minji-ahjumma said. Only one rule at the house : no talking about kpop idols even for a second. I'm too scared Bomi-unnie would snap at me for even asking why.

A few weeks before I left to Seoul to start attending ballet academy, Bomi-unnie insisted to introduce me to Jae Won, her cousin who lived in Seoul. Bomi unnie's not really into reading, so she's confused everytime I asked about books or authors. I guess that's where she get the idea to introduced me to Jae Won, who coincidentally studied literature in college. Everytime Jae Won online, Bomi unnie will screamed for me and insisted me to chat with him for a while, even though I like writing e-mail or letter than chatting. But Bomi unnie said, Jae Won hate that stuffs so it's better just use chat. 

My meeting with Jae Won had been arranged a long time by Bomi unnie, she's worried that a foreigner like me had to wander around the big Seoul city.

"Give my kiss and hug for Jae Won, and don't forget to tell him no to forgot to go online, arraseo? You can freely spazz about kpop idols  when you get there, coz you're far from me who's allergic to that damn thing. But... oh who am I going to talk to about boys when you're not around." she sobbed. I can still feel goosebumps if I remember her reaction when she found a magazine of kpop idols I've been hide under the pillow. I've never saw anyone more hysteric tha her just because a piece of magazine.

"정말 아이돌이 싫어!!! (Jeongmal Idol-i sirheo!)"1 She screamed while ripping those magazine to pieces with her eyes sparking grudge and hatred. Her hateness for idols probably as big as many korean love idols. But Minji-ahjumma's not worried somehow, she just said it is her nature, she's stubborn. In Kwangju Airport, I almost had a hard time making my unnie let me go, after promising her lots of time I'll be online to chat with her and call her often.

Oh well, now I have to face her cousin, Sim Jae Won... everything will start in a moment. Then, will our friendship end at our first meeting if he's boring and he thinks the same about me? Deep in my heart, I'm 100% sure Jae Won's not a boring type of person. Seeing Bomi unnie, cheerful and happy is in their family blood I think. Like Bomi unnie, Jae Won used to made me laugh hard with his stupid joke, whereas we're just communicating virtually. Plus with Bomi unnie's praises about Jae Won. Jae Won this, Jae Won that. But usually, a true friend is like an idol group, if you're a fan of that group, that doesn't mean everyone else is a fan of that group too, right?

I've had an image of Jae Won, but he had no idea what I look like. Because Bomi unnie's computer doesn't have a webcam and I never once showed him my picture. But I did tell him I will wear a white beanie hat and white glasses while reading a book in the waiting room. Even though there's hundreds of woman like that in the waiting room, he'll find it eventually ;P

"안녕하세요! (Annyeonghaseyo!)"2 a husky voice almost made me jump out of my seat. "실예합니다, 너... 카린씨, 맞아? (sillyehamnida, neo... Karin-ssi, majja?) "

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

1 ~ I really hate idols!

2 ~ Good Morning!

3 ~ Excuse me, you're... Karin-ssi, right?

 

Comments are always loved ^^