Tempo

THE Se7en SOULS

 

Eun Hye’s POV:

 

            Yo Won and I approached the door and knocked loudly. The door opened a little hindered by the chain attached to it. A man peeks from the door and smirks at us.

 

            “Who are you and what do you want?” the man asked uninterestedly.

 

            “Can we come in?” Yo Won smiled. “We want to hear the music.”

 

            The door man laughed. “Yeah sure, sweetie but you have to do it outside.”

 

            “Yah! Let us in.” I glared at the man but he already slammed the door to our face.

 

            “He won’t let you in.” a man said as he drags from his cigarette.

 

            I faced him. “Wae?”

 

            He gave as a look from head to toe. “First, because you’re too chic to be in an underground rap battle and… you don’t know the password.”

 

            “Tell us the password please.” Yo Won asked politely. She’s always so nice.

 

            “Sorry, can’t do that.” The man shrugged.

 

            “I need to find someone in there.” I said calmly, trying to be friendly with him.

 

            He smiled playfully at them. “You have to give me back something.”

 

            A chill runs to me and I wanted to lose my patience. I need to see him and find out that he is but this annoying cigarette man won’t let me. Yo Won stepped in front of my line of vision and took my hand.

 

            “Let’s go, Eun Hye.” Yo Won smiled like nothing is wrong.

 

            “But Wonnie…” I protested. “I need…”

 

            “We’ll find another way inside.” She said as she tugs at my hand. “We don’t need him… I’m sure Marie won’t be pleased with him.”

 

            Cigarette man stood up suddenly. “You know Marie?”

 

            “Of course we do, we’re her friends.” Yo Won answered and I looked at her questioningly but she silenced me with her look.

 

            “She didn’t mention any of you.” The man smirked.

 

            “She won’t because she doesn’t trust you that much yet.” Yo Won crossed her arms.

 

            The man seems to think a little bit and motioned for us to follow him. “Let’s go.”

 

            Yo Won winked at me as the cigarette man announced at the door man that we’re with him. I hold on to Yo Won’s hand once were inside because the pull of the place is so strong. I must see him.

 

            “Don’t tell Marie that I still comes here.” The man said and disappeared.

 

            “How did you know Marie?” I asked Yo Won curiously.

 

            Yo Won laughed. “He just dreamed of her recently and that man just woke up when he approached us. I didn’t really want to do it but you look like you were ready to punch. Marie seems to be this girl he really likes and he doesn’t want to lose her.”

 

            I pouted. “Sometimes you’re just too clever.”

 

            “Aniyo.” Yo Won smiled. “You’re just not paying much attention today.”

 

            I sighed. That’s true; I’ve been dwelling too much to the fact that I will see him today. It’s crazy, getting so nervous in meeting someone you haven’t met before is weird but that’s how I feel anyway.

 

            There wasn’t much to see other than a crowded dance floor with boys with big clothes and girls with lesser clothes.  There was a bar and a stage up front. I couldn’t see anything with so many people so I decided to go up at the balcony.

 

            “Where are you going?” Yo Won shouts so I can hear her through the music.

 

            “Upstairs, you look here and I will look over there.” I answered and she let me go.

 

            I tried to mingle with the crowd but I guess cigarette man is right; I’m too chic to blend in the crowd. I tapped a girl on the shoulder and she gave me a dirty look.

 

            “What?” she asked.

 

            “Do you know a man named Tempo?” I asked.

 

            She laughed at me and smirked. “Of course, I do. Who doesn’t know him?”

 

            And then she turns away to make out with her boyfriend. Humans!! I don’t know what goes in their mind.

 

            I looked down from the balcony and searched for Yo Won instead and I found her near the bar talking to a more friendly looking girl. I was about to waved at her when an emcee appeared on the stage.

 

            “And now for the highlight of the night a free style rap battle from Matchbox and Tempo!” the emcee boomed into the mike.

 

            My eyes searched the stage but he’s alone.

 

            “Introducing, Matchbox!” the emcee announced and there were shouts as the boy named Matchbox appeared.

 

            I listened and watched patiently as Matchbox does a free style rap and then my heart stopped when the emcee announced: “Tempo!!”

 

            I looked at him and he’s wearing a cap, I couldn’t see much of his face but a shadow. The view from the balcony is frustrating and then he starts rapping. That rich and manly voice full of conviction and a hint of sadness at the same time, like he just recently lost someone.

 

            My heart stopped when he finished his rap and look up directly at me. It was just a split second before he turned away and he was swallowed up by cheers from the crowd as he wins but I couldn’t take my eyes off him.

 

            I backed away, unable to process everything. I let myself outside and I felt Yo Won by my side.

 

            “Eun Hye, gwenchanna?” Yo Won asked worriedly as she takes my cold hand.

 

            ‘It’s him.” I gasped.

 

            “Who?” Yo Won asked. “Who is he? Do you know him?”

 

            “It’s him. Of course it’s him.” I said in disbelief. “I should’ve known that it will be him.”