First Call

Just a Phone Call Away

Kibum was sitting on his bed in tears. It was the first bad beating in a long time. He thought his father had calmed down but he was wrong. He came at him today at full force. He had bruises all over his body. He waited until was was calmed downed then he picked up his phone. His phone was the only thing that wasn't taken by his father. It was the only thing that kept him sane. It made him feel better when he could hear another persons voice. 

He started putting in random numbers. 

"Hello." The voice of a women came through the other side of the phone. Kibum listened closly to the sound of the voice. 

"Hello who is this?" The women sounded annoyed. Kibum didn't respond. He never did. 

"I'm hanging up." And the phone went dead. 

Kibum sat there for a few minutes remembering the sound of the womens voice. He liked to imgain what the story was behind the people that he called. With this call he imagined that the women had a nice family with a big family. She had five kids and a husband that loved her. Kibum imagined that he was one of her kids. That he would come home from school and get asked how his day went. He liked the thought of that. 

Kibum picked up his phone again and dialed a different number. 

"Hello can I help you." came a rusty voice. Kibum didn't like the sound of that voice. It reminded him of his fathers voice but he listened anyway. 

"Dude if you don't speak, I'm going to call the cops." Kibum hung up. That voice made him shiver. He hated the sound of rusty voices. Kibum didn't bother to imagin a story for that man. 

He decided to call one more number before he went to sleep. It rang a few times then it was answered by someone that sounded like he was kibums age. 

"Hhheeellloooo." The voice sounded young and..............happy. Kibum hasen't heard happy in a really long time. 

"Hello?" Kibum felt like he was going to hang up but he didn't want to voice to go away, so he did something that he never did before on the phone. He spoke. 

"H-hel-lo." He tried to sound like he was normal but he was so nervous he could barly stand it. 

"Heyyyy! Whats up?" Kibum was suprised that the person didn't ask who he was. He just ask what he was up to. 

"N-nothin-g m-much." Kibum was mad that his voice was not coming out right. He was trying his best to sound normal but it was just not coming to him. 

"Hey are you ok? You don't sound like your ok." Kibum was shoked. Shoked that the person hasen't hung up yet and that he aske him if he was ok. no one in his life has ever asked in that. Kibum felt tears coming to his eyes.

"No." He couldn't lie. 

"Whats wrong?" 

"N-nothing" *Snifle*

"You don't sound ok. What's wrong? You can tell me." This person sounded like he really wanted to help him. Kibum now had tears coming down his face.

"M-my father b-beats me." It was really hard to get the late word out. Kibum has never told anyone how messed up his life was but he felt a whole lot better now that he finally told someone.  

The phone was silent on the other end. Kibum was worried that the person hung up. He was about to shut the phone off when a voice came on the other end. 

"Where do you live?" I voice didn't sound happy anymore. It sounded....mad.

"W-why?" 

"Because I'm going to come over there and beat your father up." At this point Kibum was bawling. He never had anyone talk to him this way. 

"No. No d-don't" 

"Why not?! He beats you! He would deserve it!" 

"No..no it's ok." Kibum was finally getting his voice back as he calmed down. He couldn't have this stranger come to his house and beat his father up. As much as he liked the idea it just wasn't a  good one. 

"Well ok...if you say so. Hey I got to go but I'll call you tomorrow. Whats your name?" 

"K-kibum." 

"Kibum? I like that. I'm Jonghyun. Save my number ok? I'll call you tomorrow when I can. Take care of yourself and if anything happens, call me right away." 

"O-ok." 

"Ok good. Well call you tomorrow. Good night!" 

"Good night." And then the phone went dead.