An Underwear Thief

A Little Cyborgic

Days in the mental institute started with breakfast. Patients were dining in a hall which resembled a school canteen. There were two different lines where the cooks served breakfast for the patients. There was also two doctors – they served portions of medicine. They also had conversations with their patients, treating them almost like normal people. 

However Baekhyun didn't fit in. He didn't even bother to hear what people said – it was a big problem for his psychiatrist and for the doctors. They didn't know how to define his state of mind if they couldn't get any contact to him. They could only say it was a really complicated psychosis. His delusions were so strongly attached into his mind.

Baekhyun sat to an empty table with his tray. Today they served as a breakfast an oatmeal, bread, lots of lettuce and a chocolate pudding. Everything was indifferent for Baekhyun what was served. He didn't even touch to his food. When he had had his first breakfast two days ago a doctor had asked why he didn't eat anything. Baekhyun had simply answered his machinery would break down. The doctor had only frowned. Baekhyun had started batteries after the doctor had gone away. Batteries were the source of energy.

Mena joined him and started eating her breakfast with appetite. She looked at Baekhyun with disapproval face and sniffed at him. “You should eat. You're so skinny that it hurts,” she sighed and added a bright red lipstick to her lips. Baekhyun did not respond, just stared his tray. His stomach growled and it hurt a bit. The only thing that wondered him why he could feel pain. Then he started to ponder really hard. If he was a cyborg he shouldn't feel any pain, right? Baekhyun blinked and then the thought popped into his mind – he just needed to get rid off his human feelings! But how? He didn't know. Frustration shook him but outside he was lifeless. Mena had an odd look when Baekhyun stood up and left the table with his tray, leaving the breakfast untouchable. Then Baekhyun remembered and turned around – he gave his pudding to Mena and she flashed a pleased smile.

“Good boy.”

----------

Baekhyun had an habit of talking to the vending machine every day. It was noticed by the bunny masked man. The man found himself interested to that odd, silly young man who had only conversations with machines and electrical appliances. He usually observed Baekhyun from afar but today he felt like approaching him. Actually, a box of underwears Baekhyun had brought with himself tempted the bunny man closer. He moved closer and closer quietly until he reached his hand out and filched bright yellow boxer shorts from the box.

When Baekhyun looked over his shoulder after feeling a breeze behind him, he catched a glimpse of a pair of bunny ears drifting away.

“Yeollie, what have you there?” A nice-looking female nurse asked curiously when he saw a bunny masked man sneaking past. Yeollie straightened his back and stuffed the boxers quickly into his pocket. A bunny mask was slided off his face and a pair of golf ball sized bright eyes became visible. He showed his empty hands innocently smiling. The nurse chuckled. “Chanyeol, have you been pick pocketing someone's stuff again? Remember to return it, will you?” she asked with a sweet smile. Chanyeol slightly nodded his head and slided his bunny mask back while continuing his fleeing.

He never took an eye contact.

“Who could steal Thursday..” Baekhyun mumbled while wandering through the corridors and stopped in front of his only friend – the friendly vending machine. It just stood there, waiting for somebody to buy snacks. “Have you possibly seen any suspicious humans lately? I think somebody stole my underwear,” he muttered to the machine and pouted, thinking of why would anybody steal underwear. He placed the box of underwear in front of him – a colorful box of neatly packaged underwears. There was separated spaces for each underwear to wear every day: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, an empty spot for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. “Look, no Thursday,” he pointed the empty spot which was labeled as Thursday.

----------

They had a group therapy outside for the first time. Baekhyun had his regular blank face when psychiactrist talked with other patients. Every time the psychiactrist tried to ask something from him, he focused his attention to elsewhere. Like to clouds for example. He watched those white cotton clouds drifting away on a bright blue sky. A sun shined to his spot. A bird was singing in a tree. Living creatures were actually fascinating, he noted.

Patients were left out after the therapy, enjoying from the fresh air but not without any supervision. Actually, the security in mental institute was very strict. There was always somebody watching over and security cameras almost everywhere. It didn't really bother anyone if none of the patients tried something funny. 

Baekhyun found himself walking to a big rock which was placed into a small garden. He climbed on it and sat down, pressing his underwear box against  his chest. He didn't want to admit that he felt anxious about the lost pair of underwear. Cyborgs were not allowed to feel anxious. Brown eyes became glazed when he stared at nothing. But then something bright yellow came to his view. Squinting his eyes he noticed his yellow boxers were in front of his face. Then a pair of big, deep brown eyes appeared and a wide smirk. It took a while Baekhyun to register what happened until he stood up enraged. “THIEF!!” he screamed furiously, neck veins visible. “Whoooops,” the thief snickered and started running.

After few days without proper food Baekhyun felt weak but the rage gave him strength. He ran after that lanky and very tall sneak thief, screaming ‘thief’ out of this lungs. His lungs were burning and almost giving up until the got a grip of the thief's shirt and the escaper blundered, tumbling to the groud – dragging Baekhyun with him. An sharp elbow hit him into the chest when they fell. “Psycho,” the thief huffed, his hair tangled and right eye twitching from the amused smile. Baekhyun gasped, eyes black from exasperation. “I am not a psycho! I'm a cyborg!!” he hissed, catching his boxers from the grip. He sat up on thief's stomach and placed the underwear with care back to box. “Could you..?” the thief sighed, gesturing Baekhyun to move off from him. Baekhyun shot a deathly glare to him and crawled off.

“I'm Chanyeol,” the thief introduced himself after a brief silence. Baekhyun turned his back to him and moped, pursing his lips up. “Sorry for stealing your underwear. They were so nice color and you were so completely unaware, I couldn't resist,” Chanyeol guffawed and got a heavy punch to his chest. He sneered and grabbed Baekhyun from the wrist. Baekhyun got confused and he was about to throw another punch, but Chanyeol stopped him.

“Do you want to get into a padded room?”

----------

By night Baekhyun took out a transistor radio which he had given from the factory. He sat on his bed and searched for a right wavelength. Mena was sleeping in her bed and Baekhyun put headphones over his ears for not to distract anyone. For a while he only heard buzzing but then the correct wavelength was found. He closed his eyes, trying to forget what had happened few hours ago.

--This is a program about How To Become A Better Cyborg--

Baekhyun turned the volume a bit down.

“--There are seven sins a cyborg must avoid in order to become a better cyborg or otherwise it will be destroyed.

First: sympathy. A cyborg must not feel any sympathy. Sympathy is an human-weakness and the worst of sins.

Second: being sad.

Third: restlessness.

Fourth: hesitating about anything.

Fifth: useless daydreaming.

Sixth: feeling guilty.

And seventh: thankfulness.”

Baekhyun felt drowsy and he settled himself to bed.

“You must not daydream about if the people with white jackets have grannies. You must not feel sympathy for their grannies if the white jackets died. And you must not hesitate about killing them.”

“You need to forego these sins in order to kill them.”

----------

A/N: finally finished !! This chapter was a bit longer than the first. I hope you like it – I like it so far ~!

Comments are highly appreciated! (✿。・v・。)