Episode.1 - The intoxication

Si ad bivium ea accipitur.. - When she gets taken with at the crossroad..

 

My soul - It felt like it would swirl around in the room, waiting anxiously to gain its limbs back. When you sleep you don’t know anything. You might fear to fall asleep and end up not waking up anymore. When you sleep you look, hear, smell, taste and feel in another way. You will lose your senses you have been used to with consciousness. You do not look outside but inside you, your soul.

Tonight was a burden. I kept sweating and slept agitatedly. I kept tighten my facial expression from sleeping so uncomfortably. The heat in the room turned into cold sweat on my forehead. The fear of not waking up when the sun is up and illuminate the room?

I felt how my body ate away my soul.

With every additional bite the pain grew stronger.

Until a pain struck through my back and I finally regained my sense to feel.

I could feel how my lower eyelids and cheeks were swollen, pressing against my eyes.

I regained the feeling to have limbs - movable hands, fingers and legs.

The room was calm - not even the ticking of the alarm clock was audible (Because I have no mechanical one).

I opened my eyes and blinked at the bright sunlight while sitting up straight. After I finally knew where up and down were I felt how everything was swollen. With the left arm I supported myself while I held my forehead with the right hand. I let out a slight sigh. My voice was horrible, husky and cold. Hay fever struck overnight which caused the pounding on my head.

I ran my fingers through my hair.

“Reminds me of the first day of puberty” I said huskily.

Somehow I managed to move myself out of bed, brushed my teeth, took painkillers and my antihistamine.

Since it was the start of a new week I washed up and got ready for school - which took longer than it usually would but my movements were slow and painful. So I ended up having a slice of toast and a glass of milk - not that I was having a big appetite anyway…

I grabbed my bag, the trolley and left for school. My state didn’t allow me to drive so I took the bus instead.

I closed my eyes while resting my head on the window. My body composed itself and I started to be my normal self again.

Not only the subway was crowded and full but also the interchange station - Morning rush-hour. Not the best treatment in the morning when you feel sick.

 

The subway station was neatly situated under the arrival hall of the school which looked more like a huge terminal at the airport than a school.

I stopped right at the escalators watching and listening to the crowd. You would expect loud chatter and laughter which is normal for a school but it’s different here. You hear this muffled talking with the sound of the steps echoing through the arrival hall. Everyone’s busy going to their destination - Class and course rooms, School administration, information desk, study rooms, toilets, cafeteria?

 

For a moment I was thinking what am I actually supposed to do. My mind was blank, to be honest.

I took out my schedule and saw “Subject:  History, Location: L2F5R130.5” labelled with a handwritten “Guarded ~~~ ♥”

“Guarded” I said to myself. Suddenly, I was back to normal.

 

I headed off, used some escalators and elevators until standing in front of my - no, our - study room No. (L7F5)R5.22.

With my school ID card I unlocked the door, pushed it open and entered. The light was still . I spotted a motionless body at the desk with its head resting upon. Only his breathing reassured me that he was alive. I placed my bag onto the trolley and went to the chair next to the sleeping person. I smiled while looking at his face. I mimicked his position by folding my arms onto the desk and resting my head on them.

“How should I wake my best friend up for school?” and I started blowing into his face which, surprisingly, woke him up.

I smiled when he opened his eyes to realize what was going on.

“Oh, JiEun…” he murmured while digging his head into his arms and then rubbing his eyes. He sounded half-asleep.

“Let’s go to our classes. Come on!”

“What time is it?” he said with a smile looking at me with his hardly opened eyes.

“Right before the first period. Here take a gum - you don’t have time to brush your teeth”

 

On our way to the course room I left my trolley in the locker and just carried the necessities in my bag.

 

“Did you really study like… “all-night long”? - Aside of your sleep, of course”, I said while trying to get out of the way of students passing by in the crowded corridor.

“Yeah, I arrived at 5PM yesterday and as usual I spent the whole time inside our study room”

“Sleeping I assume, huh?”

We entered the stairwell which was immediately still. I saw JoonMyun blushing a little, “It seems your workaholic side is… decreasing?” I asked him now a little concerned.

“Ah, no… It’s really nothing”

Nothing. I kept asking him why he became so… lifeless lately and a bit cautious towards me but all he said was “nothing” with his sheepish smile from one eye to the other one. I didn’t know whether he used that intentionally as a weapon but my suddenly increased worries were slightly cured by his smile. And afterwards, I wouldn’t dig deeper until the next outburst of concern.

 

Slightly offended by this I walked in front of him, approaching our course room.

“Yah, you better tell us some more about her” a threatening voice came out of the room, my face hardened.

“I.. I really, really do only know that… that her father is the owner of Y3…” another voice appeared, almost scared to death.

“We all know that you…”

Then everything was muffled, I tried hard to catch any more words but it was empty.

I saw blurry, steps got slower and I tried to support myself on the wall while making a gesture with my other arm to alarm JoonMyun.

Everything felt heavy, so heavy that I fell on my knees.

My breath got heavier and faster, my heart beating so strong and loud that I could feel it in my ears.

Then.

It was…



So... I just revealed the first chapter. Feel free to add any comments, questions and contructive criticism/praise or just drop me a note.

But I guess it's going to be difficult to judge after the very first chapter so...

Anyways, thank for reading and if you like it spread the word (by linking them to this page here)!

And! Please, look forward to the next episode!