42 /// FRIEND

A very small degree of HOPE is sufficient to cause the birth of LOVE.
"Please say that you love me too," those words playing in your mind, fully etched in it.
 
As days go by, you and Ghun have gotten closer to each other. You would see him almost everyday as he would drop by your house, in hopes to get you to say those three words to him and also to win your parents' heart.
 
"TaeAh-shi, Ghun is here," your mom said as she entered your room.
 
"Again?" you replied as you got out of bed and walked towards her.
 
"Yes, your loverboy is here again. He's charming, you know. I like him and I'm sure that your dad is pretty much impressed by him too," she said as she walked beside you as you headed towards the living room.
 
"Omma," you replied as you rolled your eyes, "Not now, ok?" you continued.
 
You know Ghun too well. He'll not stop and he'll never give up on you.
 
Your friendship with Yoora has gotten better as she returns back to her usual chripy self.
 
However, between you and Haewon, things have started to take a different toll. You were frequent the hospital to check on Mrs. Jung's progress.
 
The surgery was a success and Mrs. Jung has been recovering slowly. 
 
"Haewon-shi, wait," were the words you would say upon seeing him.
 
Haewon would be there sitting beside her. But whenever, you're around, he would be coming up with excuses in order to leave and not be in the same room as you.
 
You could pain in his eyes everytime you looked at him. The pain that you've caused him is still burning and hurting inside him.
 
"I'm sorry, Haewon-shi. I can't bring myself to love you. I only see you as a friend," were your thoughts.
 
You've been trying to talk to him but with fail. He would pull himself away from your grip and walk away.
 
You didn't want to ruin your friendship with Haewon even further hence you decided, "I can do this," as you stepped out of the house.
 
- - -
 
"TaeAh-shi," you heard a familiar voice calling for you from behind.
 
You stopped on your tracks and turned around to look at who was calling you.
 
Your eyes widen to your surprise, "Haewon-shi?" you said as you gulped down your throat.
 
"Errr... Hi," he replied as he walked closer towards you.
 
"Haewon-shi," were the only words that you could say as he grabbed your hand, pulling you with him as he walked up to the front of your house.
 
He sat down on the front steps and pulled you down to seat beside him. He pulled his hands away from and brought both of his hands together.
 
"TaeAh-shi... I'm here because...," he said as he looked straight onto the walkway, "I want to apologize to you," he continued as he turned his head slowly to face you.
 
"Huh?" you replied as you looked at him, surprised.
 
"I've been... such a jerk. I shouldn't have hurt you," he said as he covered his face with his hands.
 
You pulled them away from his face and held them in your hands.
 
"It's ok, Haewon-shi. Let bygones, be bygones, ok?" you said as you tried to smile at him.
 
"I love you, TaeAh-shi. And, I was blinded by my love for you. I know that Ghun-hyung already has eyes on you but I can't keep mine off you too. I wished it was that easy to forget about you but I couldn't do it, TaeAh-shi. I just could not," he continued.
 
"You're different. You don't see me as a Romeo, just like those Juliettes back at school. You don't chase after me but you rather leave me alone with those girls. You made me think about you, about why would you do what you do... and that lead me to realising that I'm falling in love with you," he added.
 
"Wanting to win your heart at all costs; asking you to accompany me to the supermart, studying together, the sleepover, asking you to me my date for my cousin's wedding, etc. All of them were my plans to get closer to you... To make you mine," he explained as he looked at you.
 
You looked at him, speechless and lost for words as your eyes got teary.
 
"But my love for you was just one-sided. You only saw me as a friend and nothing more. That night when I confessed to you, I felt so hurt. I just wanted to kill myself to prove how much I love you. But I couldn't bear to do it upon thinking about my mom's condition. Then, I started to feel so stupid for loving you. I even regreted knowing you. Those were the reasons why I ignored you for. I hated you," he said as you could see tears in his eyes.
 
"Haewon-shi, you don't tell me anymore. I forgive you," you said as you were trying to fight back your tears.
 
"TaeAh-shi, I must get this off my chest or else I'll be in so much hurt for the rest of my life. And, I don't want to hurt you any further," he replied as he cupped your face with his hand, tears rolling down his cheeks.
 
"I've decided... I know that you don't love me as much as I love you. But I don't want to lose a friend like you. I don't care if you don't love me but I still want to be your friend," he continued.
 
"Will you forgive me? Shall we start everything afresh...? Friend?" he added.
 
You looked up at him and smiled as you chuckled slightly, "I forgive you, my dear friend," you replied as you wiped his tears of his cheeks.
 
He smiled at you and cleared his throat briefly.
 
"Err... I don't know if I should tell you this but... Recently, I gave Yoora a call. And... I asked her out for a date, just to shift my attention away. I know that she's interested in me but I didn't expect you to tell me that too," he said.
 
You smiled, "She love you, Haewon-shi," you replied, "Go on that date with her. Make her happy, make her day," you continued as you patted his hand, "She'll appreciate what you'll do for her," you added.
 
"Trust...," you said.
 
"TaeAh-shi?" a voice interrupted.
 
You turned to look, surprised, "Ghun-shi?" you said.
 
"Hyung," Haewon said as he quickly stood up from his seat.
 
You could see Ghun slightly fuming up and the sight of you and Haewon together. You see him clenching his fist as he walked towards both you and Haewon.
 
"What are you doing here, Haewon-shi?" he asked, seriously as he got closer.
 
"Errr... Hyung, I was just talking to TaeAh-shi," Haewon replied.
 
"Talking to her, huh?" Ghun asked as he finally stood in front of Haewon, staring into his eyes.
 
"She's mine and you know that," he continued as you see his fist clenching tighter.
 
"Oh no," you thought.
 
You quickly stood up, hoping to intervene but everything went by every fast as you see Ghun's fist going upwards.
 
You close your eyes, not wanting to see what had happened between the two grown men.
 
There was a brief slience. You didn't hear any growls or groans. It was utter silence.
 
You opened your eyes slightly to see Ghun and Haewon standing in front of you, smiling at you.
 
"Did we scare you, gorgeous?" Ghun asked as you looked at him.
 
You looked at both Ghun and Haewon, confused.
 
"What is going on here?" you asked, very much dumbfounded.
 
"Well, we were just pretending to... You know... Fight," Haewon replied as he chuckled.
 
"Don't worry, gorgeous. Haewon told me everything even before he met with you today. We planned it all. Just to scare you a bit," Ghun added.
 
He stood a step towards you and pulled you closer to him. 
 
He laid a peck on your lips, "I hope you don't mind," he said as he smirked at you.
 
"Ghun-hyung," a voice from behind him said.
 
Ghun turned around and, both you and him looked at Haewon as he smiled.
 
"I'd better take my leave now. I won't disturb you two love birds here," Haewon said as he placed a hand on Ghun's shoulders.
 
"Alright, Haewon-shi," Ghun replied as Haewon pulled his hand away and stood in front of you.
 
"Thanks for those wonderful past memories, friend," Haewon said as he looked at you.
 
He leaned closer towards your face and placed his warm lips on your cheeks before pulling them away from you.
 
"See you two soon," he said as he waved goodbye.