02 /// THE 'IN' THING

A very small degree of HOPE is sufficient to cause the birth of LOVE.
(FLASHBACK CONTINUES)
 
Your phone rang; you quickly picked it up and silenced it. You apologize to those around you. You were in the lecture hall and you completely forgot to switch your phone mode to silent.
 
You looked at your phone, “Unknown number,” it stated.
 
You wondered who it was. Not wanting to disturb the people around you again, you quickly texted to the caller.
 
“Sorry, I am in lecture. May I know who you are?” you typed and send.
 
You placed your phone on your pocket as you didn’t want the vibration to cause frenzy if you placed it on the table. Moments later, the stranger replied as your phone vibrated. You took it out of your pocket slowly and read the text.
 
“Sorry, TaeAh. I didn’t know you were at lecture. Sorry to disturb you,” it read.
 
The end read, “Ghun,” you stared at it, in shocked.
 
Dumbfounded, you looked upwards at what your professor was saying and looked back again at your phone. You pinched yourself. You weren’t dreaming. This is real.
 
“Yoora-shi, you’re so going to get it from me,” you mumbled to yourself as you turned to look at Yoora who was sitting behind you.
 
Yoora smiled upon your look towards her and asked, “Yes? You’re looking for me?”
 
“You…” you responded, pointed towards your phone.
 
“Ahh, I see," she said and laughs, “The ball has started rolling then. Good for you,” she continued, confidently.
 
You turned back slowly towards the front. Yoora will get it from you later but now, you didn’t know how to react to his text. You didn’t want to reply but you didn’t want to be rude at the same time.
 
Feeling restless, you text in reply, “It is ok, Ghun. Chat with you later, ok.”
 
Unknowingly, as fast as lighting, a reply came in and it read, “Am looking forward to see you and chat with you, gorgeous.”
 
“Gorgeous? Yeah, right,” you chuckled.
 
You didn’t respond back to his text as your professor was giving out some important tips to the upcoming test. The lecture ended 10 minutes after it. Both you and Yoora had another class to attend to. Both of you quickly made your way there. 
 
“TaeAh-shi, I see you in class, ok? I can’t hold it in anymore,” Yoora said, her voice trailed as she entered the girl’s bathroom.
 
“Yarh!” you retorted.
 
You knew that Yoora didn’t hear you so you decided to make your way to the classroom.
 
From a corner of your eyes, you saw Ghun and a group of friends standing by the one of the lockers, as you were walking towards the classroom. You turned your face to face him and both of your eyes met. His eyes brighter and he gave you a huge smile.
 
You saw him uttering a few words to his friends. He picked up his bag and walked towards you. Not knowing how to react and what else to do, you continued walking towards the classroom.
 
“TaeAh-shi,” he said sweetly as he walked beside you.
 
“Oh… Ghun-shi, hey,” you replied.
 
He adjusted his bag on his shoulder and asked, “Where are you heading too, TaeAh-shi?”
 
“Err… I’m heading to the English literature class that’s starting in 15 minutes’ time,” you responded as you looked at your watch for the time.
 
“English literature? Not my cup of tea though,” he laughed softly, “Oh, I heard that you’ll be in Mrs. Han’s special Math combined class, right?” he continued.
 
You already knew who might have told him about it. It’s Yoora, of course. You nodded your head in agreement. Both of you were still walking and to you, it seems like the classroom is so near, yet so far. You reached the classroom finally. 
 
You were about to entered the classroom, but Ghun stopped you. He held your hand and pulled you back. He released his hand grip and stood at the entrance of the door to the classroom.
 
“So, I’ll be seeing you at Mrs. Han’s class, ok?” he said.
 
Surprised, you just nodded in agreement. He took a few steps towards you with a sinister look on his face. He looks like he’s going to kiss you. You braced yourself, trying not to look surprised or nervous. 
 
He side-stepped and leaned his face towards your ears, “Goodbye,” he said seductively.
 
You nearly dropped a sweat. You felt relieved that he didn’t kiss you. It was so awkward. You just got to know him a few weeks ago. Love wasn’t on your priority list yet. Your phone vibrated. 
 
“1 new text message,” it read.
 
A text from Ghun, “See you later, you gorgeous looking thing.”
 
You stood at the entrance of the classroom, almost blocking the way in. Yoora spotted you for afar and ran towards you.
 
“TaeAh-shi! What are you doing? Why are you blocking the entrance?” Yoora exclaimed.
 
You smacked Yoora’s arm and said, “This is all your fault,” and pointing towards your phone.
 
Yoora just gave you a huge smiled and pulled you into the classroom. Class began as soon as a teacher entered the classroom. English literature was kind of awkward. Mrs. Val keeps reciting William Shakespeare’s love quotes. Yoora keeps eyeing and winking at you.
 
“I get it, Yoora,” you mumbled to Yoora, rolling your eyes with dismay.
 
The bell rang. You felt relieved that the English literature class was over. You can’t stand listening to Mrs. Val’s recitation any more. You are at the brink of your wits as you slowly packed your bag.
 
“TaeAh-shi, I’m hungry. Let’s go for lunch,” Yoora said as she pushes him her seat.
 
You scratched your head for a moment and said, “Err… yeah, sure. Why not?”
 
“Let’s go!” Yoora squealed as she grips your wrist and drags you out of the classroom.
 
“Yoora-shi!” you said.
 
“What now, TaeAh?” Yoora stopped on her tracks.
 
Without answering, you ran back into the classroom. You didn’t manage to take your bag with you. Yoora was just too fast and her grip was definitely painful.
 
“She should take part in ssireum,” you thought as you giggled to yourself.
 
You eyed at your bag, it was still on the chair. You quick pick it up and headed towards the door. You heard some familiar voices. As you exited the classroom, you saw Yoora chatting with a male student. You couldn’t make out who he was as his back was facing towards you.
 
Yoora spotted you walking towards them and said, “TaeAh-shi, look who’s here to join us for lunch.”
 
He turned around and smiled, “TaeAh-shi,” he said.
 
You looked stunned as you replied, “Oh hey, Ghun.”
 
“Come let’s go, you two lovebirds,” Yoora said, giving a wink to both Ghun and you.
 
You had to do it. You just had to do it. You had to give another elbow nudge to Yoora’s stomach. That was the second nudge within a week but Yoora didn’t mind it, she didn’t care. As the three of you walked towards the school’s cafeteria, you stared at Yoora and shook your head in disapproval.
 
“What? One day, TaeAh. One day, you will,” Yoora said, a smile pasted on her face.
 
Again, you shook your head in disapproval but immediately stopped. You felt that someone was trying to pull your bag from you. Scared that it might be a student thief, you quickly turned around to see who it was.
 
You stared at him and asked, “Ghun, what are you trying to do?”
 
Overhearing the conversation, Yoora turned her head, “What’s going on here?” she asked.
 
Completely ignoring Yoora, you stared at Ghun. He didn’t respond. He looked at you and just smile. He then took your bag from you and placed it over his shoulder.
 
“Oh, I see what going on here,” Yoora said, “I should better go now; see you two lovebirds later, ok,” she continued, winking at Ghun in approval.
 
You wanted to chase after Yoora but Ghun stopped you. He held your hands tight and pulled you with him as he walked towards the school cafeteria. You were very much speechless.
 
An empty table was very much out of sight. The school cafeteria was almost packed with people, queuing up for their order, enjoying their lunch, etc. You even spotted a couple making out at the corner of the cafeteria. You looked at Ghun and tried to figure out where he was heading towards. As you made up a trail and unfortunately for you, your imaginative trail ended at the same corner.
 
You looked at Ghun and thought, “Oh my god… oh no, not on the first day of the week.”
 
(FLASHBACK ENDS)