One.

Mrs. Zhang Yi Xing

 

“I’m just worried that he’ll never find love, you know…?”
 
Mr Zhang sighed wearily, running his hand through his already rumpled hair even as his wife continued complaining to their long time friend.
 
“I mean, once he debuts, girls will only like him for fame and money! He’ll never find true love with all the gold digging psychopathic fan girls these days…”
 
“Sweetie” he interrupted gently. He tried begging to the lord for his wife not to turn that angry spark in her eyes towards him.
His wife was infamous for her horrible temper and unbelievable talent for being able to make even a grown man cry with her continuous rants which was proven to be able to go on for hours and even days on end-a charming talent his son seemed to have unwillingly inherited.
He sighed in relief when he noticed her calming down.
 
“Mei Ri, I think you’re slightly over-exaggerating…” Ronell Cifer chuckled slightly, unhelpfully amused at the couples current predicament. “I’m sure he’ll find love one day…”
 
“Yeah, but I want grand-children, NOW!” she whined uncharacteristically.
“Yeah, but Lay’s really difficult to handle nowadays…” her husband mused. “He’s rather… evil these days.”
“He’s always been evil” she muttered, waving off his comment, considering it unimportant at the moment.
 
“That’s true… in fact, the only person that I could think of that could probably handle that boy right now is my youngest daughter…” he mused thoughtfully.
 
“OH! Jenris would make the most perfect wife for my Yi Xing! Absolutely lovely girl. Positively charming…” she gushed. “They would make me the most perfect grandchildren…”
 
The two males couldn’t help but give a big hearty laugh at the thought of their little Jenny looking after little mini Lay’s running around and causing havoc everywhere.
 
The Zhang family had known the Cifer family since Ronell Cifer had travelled to China on a business trip and attracted the attention of the couple when they noticed him swearing and cursing and hitting streetlights during and after a specific phone call.
So, being the curious and sociable people that they were, they invited him to dinner to talk about it.
It was a random talk over dinner about why he was so damn pissed that day (He realised he couldn’t buy a plane ticket that went straight to the Philippines straight away after his wife called screaming at him that his first son was about to be born) that lead to a life long friendship between the two families that has continued deep for almost over 2 decades.
 
The first time Mei Ri had seen Jenris, she was completely enamoured at first sight, treating the then-2-year-old-girl as if she was her own daughter, continually fawning and fussing over her.
 
Of course, Jenny had never actually met Lay due to the fact that the boy was positively obsessed with his career, practising every chance he got, meaning that he was always out whenever the girl got the time to get away from the chaos she called school.
 
“They would make the most perfect couple…” Mei Ri suddenly turned puppy eyes to Ronell. “Wouldn’t they?”
 
“Are you suggesting…” he questioned hesitantly, unsure if he actually wanted to ask the eyes-currently-shining-brightly mother.
“YES!” she practically screamed from her enthusiasm, jumping up from her seat. Good thing that they were at the Zhang's house, or people would have started looking again.
“Honey…” her husband tried cutting her off, but was stopped when he heard his best friend answer.
 
“It’s her choice…”
 
 

 
 
“Hn. It’s okay, dad. I understand. …Yes. …It’s my choice… Okay… I know… I know… 
                       …bye.”
Hanging up the phone, she tightened her pony tail in preparation and sighed dejectedly.
 
She was getting ready to break a heart.
 

 
 
Preview:
 
“Luhan, she’s like my second mother! I couldn’t just deny her the happiness she deserves! She deserves to be happy!” she screamed in exasperation.
 
“What about you?! Don’t you deserve to be happy?!” he argued back, completely fed up that she couldn’t think of this from his perspective.
 
“Luhan…” she muttered, suddenly seeming tired of their whole argument. “I’m s-sorry…”
 
“…and I’m sorry. Here.” He took out a small velvet box from his pocket and gently handed it to her. “You throw away the ring…”
 
“Luhan…” she sobbed, the realisation of what could have inevitably happened causing her tears to finally escape. “Luhan!!” she screamed.
 
 
But it was too late.
He was already gone. 
 
But she knew one thing: she would never forget the disappointed gleam in his beautiful, sad brown eyes as he handed her the ring. She would never forget for as long as she lived.
 
“Luhan… I’m sorry…” she repeated.
 
                                                   “Luhan... I love you…”