2

The Chrysanthemum Flower

I have received you letter, big brother, Hangeng read silently. And I do not judge you for it. There are simply some things that we cannot control.

Do not believe that this is the work of the Fates, or that you have wronged someone or something though you are sure you have done nothing wrong. It could be that they are the ones who are doing you wrong. Heaven will redress the injustice. That, I can assure you. The question that may be left is when it will be redressed.

I hope you get home safe, and soon.

Brother, I cannot write as much about it, knowing you may get hurt, so I will only wish you the best. You do know that I will always do my best to be there for you.

Then, at the end of the letter, it was signed with a sign that he had grown so accustomed to seeing. The handwriting had improved much over time, and so had the sentence construction.

Hangeng laughed at the memory. The first time he had received a letter from this person was when he'd first debuted.

His first fan.

Out of a whim, he had replied to her letter, and she was still just a child back then. Her handwriting had attested to it, as well as the syntax. Her Chinese was quite broken then, her thoughts written out in chunks that did not flow well, but conveyed their message. He'd had to guide her, bit by bit.

Since then, they had maintained their communication. Soon, they became close friends, even confidantes. He had asked her to rely on him as a friend, and so had she.

One day, he received a letter from her, as he normally did. But the message was anything but.

I lost my friend, big brother, she wrote. I'm losing my friends one by one. We're all already going our separate ways, but we're only in the sixth grade!

I don't know what to do. I'm lost! Everything's blurring, and I don't know where I'm supposed to stand.

They have forgotten me, and my parents do not speak of it. They keep comparing me to my sister. Oh, how perfect she is! One that can make no mistake.

Why was I born different from her? Why was I even born?

Big brother, do you know? They tell me it is my fault when I do not know what has happened. If I do not know it, how more can they? How sure are they it is my fault? Is it?

Even my grades are slipping, and they are not happy. It is unacceptable.

Be the absolute best you can be, Hangeng recalled her writing before. Anything below your best was unacceptable...

But how would they know what was her best and what was not? How sure were they that she has not yet done her best? Would they be able to accept it if they found out she was at her limit, but it simply was not good enough?

His heart ached for her. His frustration was spot on, though. Super Junior was preparing for their second album, and the choreography was fierce, as if they were trying to destroy all the wrongs of the world by dancing... He certainly let out all the frustrations by performing it.