1

The Chrysanthemum Flower

Everything was spiraling out of control. Spiraling down into the darkness, and there was nothing that could be done.

It is said that Heaven repays a man's deeds. The bad are punished, the good rewarded, but where is Heaven now?

Perhaps what exists are the Fates, not Heaven. After all, if this was not an injustice, then what is?

"Hankyung, it's something that must be done," someone told him.

No, it is not. But who am I to argue? This is their land, not mine, he thought sadly. He clenched his fist and braced his soul. "I understand."

"For your brothers," the man said before disappearing into the night.

Yeah, right. If they truly were my brothers, I would not have to compromise. Heaven, why do you let this injustice persist? Heaven, save me, he pleaded in his heart.

 

~°~

 

Perhaps I have commited a crime, an injustice without knowing it. Perhaps I do deserve this which I face, Hangeng wrote. Maybe there is something that I should have done, but did not. Either way, it is done.

I have sent the appeal, and nobody is to know the details. Well, nobody but those that decided it and myself. Now, you. I do not wish to trouble you so, but my heart has been shrouded in the mystery of it all.

I am afraid that right now, I need a shoulder to lean on, and you are the only one I can go to that they do not know. You are the only one that I can entrust this secret to.

I am determined not to let them know that you are my confidante. Otherwise, they might do something to you. I do not wish for misfortune to befall you.

My heart... It is probably weak, no matter what the members say. I succumbed to this and I did not even resist. I hope you do not see me weak and shameful...

Forgive me... I can no longer be the star you look up to. But I hope I can still be the friend that you will be able to lean on once this is all over. I will still be your big brother, if you will let me.

Hangeng signed the letter before sending it.

He decided that he might regret it later on, but knowing his friend, in whom he had placed so much faith in, he would not be betrayed. He hoped that the message would reach her hands safely, and hoped that he would get out safely before anything began.