Final

Matchmaker

 

“If I help you find a boyfriend, you have to promise that you’ll do my homework for a week. No, make that a month.” Kai flashes Baekhyun a coy smirk as he twirls a pencil between his long fingers.

“Will you shut up about that already?” Baekhyun turns a harsh crimson and there’s a slight stutter to his voice as he turns back to textbook laid out on the table between him. “How many times do I have to tell you that I like girls?” The smirk doesn’t leave Kai’s face as he leans over his notebook full of scribbled characters, letting his chin rest in his hands.

“You can keep denying it how ever much you’d like, but I’m not going to give up until you can at least make it sound convincing. You’re pretty transparent, hyung. I can tell you’re just pining for some cute prince charming to sweep you off your feet and buy you flowers and-”

“Shut. Up.” Baekhyun hisses through clenched teeth. Kai chuckles and gives the older boy a smile that he knows only too well.

It’s not the end of their conversation, no matter how much Baekhyun wants it to be. Kai is not the type to give up.

And despite his red cheeks and angry pulse, Baekhyun can’t help but admit to himself how much he’d like Kai’s help.

 

“We’d like two caramel lattes, please,” Kai says. “For here.” He’s got that infuriating smirk on his face and Baekhyun can’t help but feel the urge to slap it off of him, fingers twitching in fury.

It’s easy to guess why Kai’s so smug; it probably has something to do with the gorgeous boy towering beside him. A glance in his direction and Baekhyun is already blushing, a terrible habit that he had to figure out how to get rid of. “Oh, hyung, this is my friend Chanyeol. Have you seen him around the university?” Baekhyun fights the urge to grit his teeth and tell Kai off for dangling such an attractive boy right in front of his eyes. Instead, he flashes a shy smile in said Chanyeol’s direction and gives him a tiny wave, praying that he doesn’t notice the coffee stains on his apron and the fact that his hair is looking particularly terrible today.

“Ah, no I haven’t. It’s very nice to meet you, Chanyeol.” He gives himself a mental pat on the back for not stuttering.

“Nice to meet you too, Baekhyun.” The deep voice is a surprise coming from such a sweet, soft face, and Baekhyun finds himself taken aback. The bass tone of Chanyeol’s voice only ends up giving him another reason to add a bullet to the growing list of Things Attractive About Chanyeol.

“So, um, two caramel lattes, coming right up!” He fixes up the drinks with a few mesmerized glances back in Chanyeol’s direction, blatantly ignoring Kai’s knowing smirk. He sets the two mugs down on the counter and accepts the crumpled bills from Kai’s palm.

“Come on Chanyeol, let’s go sit down.” The two turn to go find a table and Kai glances back over his shoulder once Chanyeol is oblivious to them.

Bastard, Baekhyun mouths thought clenched teeth. Kai winks.

 

Baekhyun tells himself that it’s because of the cream.

It’s been two weeks since the first day he met Chanyeol, and ever since, the boy has stopped by the coffee shop every day for his usual caramel latte. The two don’t talk much except for a casual Hey, how are you? Caramel latte, please, one scoop of sugar, but Baekhyun finds himself casting entirely too many glances in the other boy’s direction.

And today, in particular, he couldn’t quite force himself to tear his gaze away from Chanyeol. Because of the cream. The little, foamy spot of cream from his latte caught on his rosy bottom lip, so soft and full and inviting-

Chanyeol looks up and meets his eyes, flashing Baekhyun a bright grin. Baekhyun swears that his heart stops and hurriedly turns to hide the furious blush making its way across his cheekbones.

It was just because of the cream, right?

 

It’s another week before Baekhyun talks to him. Really talks to him.

“Sure you don’t want another latte before you go? I could make one on the house.” Chanyeol smiles gratefully at Baekhyun but shakes his head reluctantly.

“I have to get going. But, um, do you think I could ask you something, Baek?” Baekhyun’s breath hitches at the use of the nickname and he nods numbly.

“Oh, um, s-sure, no problem.” Chanyeol nibbles at his bottom lip and Baekhyun realizes it’s the first time he’s ever seen the boy look nervous about something.

“Would you…would you like to go on a date with me?”

 

Baekhyun’s hand clutches the phone tightly in trembling fingers and he tries to stop the pounding of his heart, to no avail. Kai is your best friend. Stop being so stupid and just call him.

He presses the call button and he can almost feel his friendship cracking with every ring of the dial tone.

“Hello?” Kai’s voice is groggy with sleep and Baekhyun in a sharp breath.

“Kai…I’m gay.”

“I know.”

“I’m going on a date with Chanyeol.”

“I know.”

“You’re also a stupid bastard. But I love you.”

“I know.”

 

Okay, that was a lie. Baekhyun didn’t love Kai.

He hated him.

He hated him for introducing him to Chanyeol who was so perfect in every way while Baekhyun was so not and he hated him for being so cocky and smug and he hated him for convincing him to still go on this nerve wracking date and oh god-

How was he going to survive when his heart was about to leap out of his chest at any moment?

He in a deep breath and presses his palms to his eyes. What if he didn’t look good enough? What if he was awkward? What if the date went terribly?

He hated him, he hated him, he hated him.

But before he can fully evaluate the full extent of his hatred towards his “best friend”, there’s a knock on the door and Baekhyun’s pulse nearly stops in sequence with the thud. With trembling hands and a stomach packed full of fluttering butterflies, he flings open the door, and his heart melts instantly with his bundle of worries.

Chanyeol stands on his doorstep, running a hand through his perfect shaggy mess of hair and giving him a toothy grin. “Um, Kai told me you liked flowers. Are these okay?” Baekhyun returns his warm smile with an open mouthed and wide eyed expression before he timidly takes the bouquet of pastel blossoms in his hands.

“They’re perfect,” he answers softly. You’re perfect. He swears that a faint blush washes over Chanyeol’s face before the latter twines their fingers together and this time, is Baekhyun’s turn to blush.

Okay, so maybe he didn’t hate Kai. He might have even been a little grateful.