Smile

The Leaf and the Legends

So distracted and taken aback by seeing the dragon on the silver bracelet, Mina didn't notice the surge of green energy pass from her hand to Kris's. However, Kris did notice and using her energy, he was able to stand without pain.  

"What did you just do?" Kris asked, letting go of her hand.

"What did I do? What did you just do!?" Still looking at his bracelet, she pointed to the dragon symbol. "Why do you have that image there? How do you know about it?" Sensing the urgency and shock in her voice, Kris looked down to his wrist.

"This? It's my signature. I received it a very long time ago." 

"You mean, it's always been there?" she asked, unconvinced. 

"It has. Now if you could please?"

"Please what?"

"Food?" he asked, clutching his stomach area. 

"Ah!" Mina remarked loudly, slapping her hand to her forehead. "Right! You're hungry. I'll be right back Mr. Alien, don't move too much or you might hurt yourself." Turning around she quickly ran out of the shed and toward her house. 

"It's Kris!" he corrected as she left.

"Mina!" she yelled back, already halfway to the house. Walking into the kitchen, she stopped and looked around in thought. What exactly did aliens eat? Picking up and throwing an assortment of different food together, she headed to the door. Just as she left the kitchen, the house phone rang. "Dang it!" she cried out. Temporarily putting the collection of miscellaneous foods on the kitchen table, she walked over to the ringing phone and picked up the call. 

"Hello?"

"Hello, is Mina there?" a male voice asked. 

"This is she, may I ask who's speaking?"

"Oh, hey... It's me Daniel."

"Daniel? Class Rep Daniel, Daniel?" 

"How many Daniel's are there in this town?" 

"Right, so what do I owe this phone call?" she asked impatiently, thinking of the hungry alien in her shed. 

"It's strange to talk about it over the phone... Maybe I should say it in person."

"What are you talking about?" 

"It's about... Forget this, I'll just come over."

"Come over? No! You can't. I'm leaving right now! How about we talk about whatever it is at school tomorrow?"

"I really didn't want to talk about it during school hours."

"Then before school or after school," she suggested, trying to quickly end the conversation and return to the shed.

"Fine. After school tomorrow," Daniel said, hearing her impatience. 

"Okay! Great! See you then!" Hanging up the phone, she picked up the pile of food and walked back. Seeing the open door to the shed she noticed a pair of long legs sticking out. "Are you okay? You're sitting again."

"I'm fine," Kris replied, leaning forward so that he sat in the doorway. "What's all that?" 

"I kind of brought everything."  Mina set the pile of food beside him. "I'm not sure what you're used to eating so I guess it'll be a hit or miss." Picking up a box from the pile she handed it to him first. "These are called Doughnuts." My uncle brought them for us. They're still pretty fresh." Kris inquisitively looked at the round pastries. 

Mina saw the puzzled look on his face and laughed.  "They're really good! Try one." Reaching over him, she flipped open the top of the box and pointed to a chocolate glazed one. "That is the best of them." Following her guidance, Kris picked up the confection and bit into it. 

"How is it?" she asked eagerly, hoping to have found something he liked. Chewing, Kris took another bite and another, until it was all in his mouth. With each bite he looked as though he was analyzing everything within the donut.

"This doesn't have much nutritional value does it?" he asked, wiping his face. 

"Ah, well no. But it's tasty right?"  

Looking up to Mina, he nodded without any emotion visible on his face and put the box down. He then extended his hand out, prompting Mina to take it and help him up.

"You're done eating already?" she asked confused.

"I don't require that much physical sustenance."

"Oh, well if I would have known that, I wouldn't have brought so much!" she said, looking at the pile of food. With his hand still extended Kris motioned for Mina to help him out of the shed. Seeing his hand she looked at his wrist, the dragon symbol still visible on the bracelet. She still had many questions for him, perhaps he could provide her with answers. She reached her hand to his and like before, the green surge of energy passed from Mina to Kris. She hadn't noticed it last time, so this time she was dumbfounded, while Kris was intrigued.

"What was that!?" she yelled, pulling her hand away from his. Standing almost a full foot taller than her, he looked down to his own hand, examining it.

"Did you feel anything?" he asked. She shook her head. She only reacted so strongly because of the visual she had seen; physically she had felt nothing happen. "Well that is interesting... I felt something."

"You did!?"  

"I felt... full."

A scowl made its way onto Mina's face. "You did just eat you know."

"I mean a different kind of full, beyond the physical feeling."

"Is that good?"

"Yes, it's a good feeling," Kris replied, smiling at her for the first time.

"So you can smile," she remarked, seeing the upward curvature of his lips. Sharing a pleasant moment, the pair was interrupted by the yell of a young female. 

"Heya Mina! Why didn't you answer your cell? I've been calling you!" Instantly recognizing the yelling voice, Mina turned her head towards them. Approaching her house was Lyn, dressed up to go to the post office. "You ready yet?"

Mina waved at her friend and then swiftly pushed Kris backwards, causing him to fall back into the shed. She was sure Lyn hadn't seen him yet, and before she did show him to her, a little explaining was needed. "I'm sorry! Just stay there for a moment please!" she whispered to him. She then closed the door and greeted Lyn. 

"Sorry, I got caught up doing some chores! I'll go get ready now, come inside."

Lyn smiled, "Don't rush, the letters will be there waiting for us."

"Yeah, they will be... but let's go inside for now." Mina put her arm around Lyn, encouraging her to walk. Only taking one step, Lyn suddenly stopped.  

"Hey! Did you hear about the meteor shower last night? Apparently there were three or four that actually fell into our atmosphere and crashed into different cities and towns! Crazy huh? Right after the eclipse too!" 

"There were more?" Mina asked surprised.

"So you did hear about them?"

"Well actually..." Just as she was about to explain, Kris unceremoniously pushed open the shed door causing Mina to fall forward onto her hands and knees. 

"I didn't appreciate that very much," he said, glaring down at Mina. Noticing a tall girl with short black hair staring wide eyed at him, Kris blinked once and looked back down to Mina. "Who is that?"

Getting a clear look at the man in the shed, Lyn was completely dumbfounded. "Who am I? Who the heck are you!?" Lyn then looked down to Mina. "What is going on here!?"

"Well..." Standing and brushing herself off, Mina looked up towards her best friend. Seeing Lyn's face, she turned to look over at Kris. He too wore a less than appealing expression, but considering that his question was easier to answer, she addressed him first. "This is my best friend Lyn," Mina announced, wrapping her arm back around Lyn's shoulder. "We've known each other for practically all our lives." 

"Her energy isn't very positive," Kris replied, eyeing the tall girl and receiving a small grimace from Mina. Looking from Kris back to Mina, Lyn cocked her head to the side.

"Did he just talk about my energy? What is going on here?"

"I'll tell you everything," Mina resolved. 

"There is a freakishly tall blonde man wearing a robe in your shed... Of course you're going to tell me everything! How could you not?" 

"Yeah... It might just take a while, we should go inside first." Mina moved to walk Lyn to the house but was stopped. 

"Is he going to come? Or is he staying in the shed?" Lyn asked, pointing at the boy.

"Right..." Turning back to Kris, Mina addressed him. "You should join us. I'll get you some clothes to change into, are you okay to walk?" Without a verbal response, Kris took his first step out of the shed. Seeing him walk, Mina smiled and looked back to Lyn who gave her a suspicious look. "I'll explain, come on."       

With Kris walking slowly behind them, the girls entered the house and began talking. 

- - - 

By the time Mina finished explaining, Lyn's expression was one completely mixed. Knowing Mina well for such a long time, she could tell that every word spoken was the truth. However, every time Lyn attempted to believe in her friend's words, her brain felt like exploding.

"So, blonde boy is an alien with supernatural powers. You saved him after he scared you and later on found that he speaks our language and also has memory loss?"

"Exactly!" Mina said, excited that her friend managed to understand. Discouraged by Mina's excited face, Lyn put her hand to her temples and rubbed them.

"It seems more likely that you hit your head when you fell and brought home a lost boy you found."

"That's not right though," Mina sighed. "He really is an alien!" At that moment, Kris emerged from the restroom dressed in pearl snaps and jeans belonging to Mina's father. Not sharing the same body type as her father, Kris wore the pants and shirt loosely. Mina turned her attention to him at his entrance and smiled seeing his change of clothes. "You really look more like a human now."    

"Mina, stop it," Lyn said, worrying about the mental health of her friend. "He isn't an alien, he's just a lost person. We should help him find someone he knows or get help from the police for him."

"He is an alien though! I thought if anyone would believe me I'd be you!" Getting desperate to prove herself, an idea popped into her head. Mina smiled. "I can prove it."   

"How?" Lyn asked, intrigued by the change in her friend's demeanor.

Mina stood up and walked over to Kris, who had been quietly examining the interior of the home. As he put down a framed photograph of a younger looking version of his host, he felt a light tap on his arm. Looking down, he saw Mina motion to her friend to join them.

The taller girl stared at her friend strangely and begrudgingly made her way to where the pair stood. "Okay?" 

"Put your right hand out," Mina commanded. Lyn followed the instructions given to her and lazily put her hand before her. Kris also placed his own hand in front of himself as requested. "Now shake hands." Shaking her short black hair and sighing, Lyn placed her hand in Kris's. 

Expecting to see the same green surge of energy pass from Lyn to Kris, Mina became confused when nothing appeared to happen.

"Now what?" Lyn impatiently asked, still holding Kris's hand.

Mina looked up to Kris with the same look of confusion on her face. "Did you at least feel something?"

"Nothing," Kris replied, pulling his hand away.

"So... Was that supposed to be the proof?" Lyn asked, hoping there was something else to it.

"This doesn't make sense!" Mina said, looking back and forth at each of their hands. "It happened last time!"

"What happened?"

As the two girls talked, Kris studied his own hand, thinking about the feeling he received twice before. Maybe he had come to this planet to find Mina, but why did he need to find anyone? It was true that she was an unusual being, but considering that he was on another planet, all of them were different to him, even the black haired one. As he thought to himself, his hand was suddenly squeezed and a small green spark passed from Mina to him.  

"Did you see?" Mina asked her friend, relieved that it had worked. Looking over to Lyn, she saw the bright whites of her friend's eyes. 

"Wh- What- What was that?"    

"It was a lot bigger last time too." 

"What was that?" Lyn repeated.

Mina shook her head. "We're not sure... Oh! That reminds me!" Grabbing Kris's wrist this time, she pushed back his sleeves so that the silver bracelet was visible. "Look here! It's the Pokemon! I mean, it's the image I've been drawing!"

Lyn looked at his wrist and unconsciously grabbed it. "This!"

"Exactly!" Mina said, triumphantly. "It's the same! But it's not a Pokemon, it's a dragon!"

"So what does this mean?" Lyn asked, returning Kris's wrist to him.

With her eyes still bright and excited, Mina smiled. "No clue!" She sighed crossing her arms and made her way back to the table with her friend only a few steps behind her. Seeing his bracelet again had reminded her that there was a small connection between them... Something currently unexplainable. Sitting back down at the table, she was joined by Lyn who kept her eyes on the boy. 

"So why isn't he talking much?" Lyn asked, watching Kris continue to look around the house quietly, making his way into the kitchen. 

"Well, I guess he's just really interested in the house. They must not have them where he's from."

"Where exactly is he from?" Lyn asked, still trying to convince herself that he was indeed an alien with some strange connection to the symbols Mina drew.

"He never said... but I think it's because he's forgotten. He hit the earth like a meteor you know."

"Like a meteor..." As Lyn repeated the words, she looked at Mina who seemed to be thinking the same thing.

"Do you think it's really possible?" Mina asked.

"Well, if everything you said is true, it sounds like he isn't here alone. It could be an invasion."

"An invasion? An alien invasion?"     

"Never mind, that sounded crazy," Lyn said, shaking the idea off. "There's no way it could be an invasion... Right?"

"Yeah, he isn't bad. I can tell... He was just scared and lost when I first saw him." Mina smiled at Lyn. "So you believe me?"

Rubbing the nape of her neck, Lyn nodded. "So now what?"  

- - -