Day 6 - a stranger

A Lesson Before Dying

Oppa, bye, I have to go! Someone's coming. Nearer. Unwelcome.

W-What do you mean, Bom? Who? We're safe, aren't we?

No. Not with her around...Someone won't want me here.

~*

"Are you okay?" I mumbled quietly to the shaking girl, shocked to see just how thin and frail and cold she seemed. I wondered just where she could've been and how she got into this mess in the first place; oozing red blood splattered the grey pavement beneath her shadow, marking the spot where she once resided, in a frightening manner. Both our breaths were plainly visible within the all-too suffocating darkness. Amidst the weaklings' groans of distress and their shuffling footsteps retreating from our little huddle, I could make out a feint "Thank you," before five bone-like fingers gripped mine and pulled her up, her short height only reaching my shoulder.

The night was cold, eerie, and dark.

I was used to it, but apparently she wasn't. Investigating around the premises of my office for anymore possible patients wandering about certainly did have its advantages, although I doubted she was exactly a mental "patient" needing some therapy. All she really needed, I noticed, through some gleaming streaks across her face, was someone to care. I hoped I would be able to at least partially fill that role tonight...

"H-How...?" she nervously stammered, clutching her forearms in a tight, warm embrace. Smiling, I replied, as if nothing were out of the ordinary, "I took martial arts back in high school, sweetie." She just nodded, wordless.

"Where were you going?"

"Home."

"Do you mind if I ask from where?"

"From...a friend's."

"...I see. Well...I know this might sound creepy, but do you want a ride? Unless your house is near," I requested, hoping for the best. It was actually completely normal for me to offer a hand out like this so directly due to my profession; I just didn't know how she would take it, especially because she seemed completely sane. Filled to the brim with sadness, yes, but sane. Her eyes, although they looked black underneath the sparse lighting, the golden street lights were just enough to make ablaze the brokenness in her large, almond-shaped eyes and unhealthily pale skin. It seemed as if she didn't know those gang boys, but I knew that wherever she came from wasn't so trivial as "a friend's."

"...Are you a taxi service?" she asked, not unkindly. Judging by her tone, though, she was more suspicious than ever.

"Should I be honest with you?" I asked, wondering if she would believe me.

But, as if that one question already made her worn out, she blew a long, hard sigh that made it as if she were smoking within the night, before she replied tiredly, "No, it's fine. I really don't care anymore. My house is another four blocks away, so I'll just walk home."

"Are you sure?" I asked dubiously, completely forgetting to be gentle with someone so young and drained. Khun oppa would've disapproved...

She fidgeted for a few minutes, not knowing what to do or say, before a strong shiver ran through her bones, causing a tremor to shake her before she chattered out, "F-Fine, I-I'll go with you but..."

Satisfied, I grinned and assured, "Don't worry, I can walk. Let's go shall we?" Turning around, she followed me side-by-side, keeping a noticeable distance between us, before we began walking towards the direction of what I saw later was an estate, her heels making a soft click! with each weak step. Taking note of the sound, I realized with a shock that the soles were made of pure diamond, and briefly wondered just what kind of a lifestyle this girl had. Both this girl and her family...

After a decent amount of time has passed, the maiden stopped in front of her appointed castle, her shoulders hunched as if prepared for the worst. I could only imagine how many people would fill that huge house...

"Gonna get in trouble?" I asked. She nodded.

Rummaging through my black leather tote, I found a fluffy towel and handed it down to her, gesturing slightly at her legs when she looked confused. Instantly, her face flushed, which was understandable, but I took no notice and instead stooped down on my heels and gently wiped her legs off for her, assuring her that everything was okay even if she kept stammering nervously that it was okay and that she could do it. This girl really couldn't accept help when it was given; I wonder just what made her that way...

"W-Who are you?" she tentatively asked, after I finished an expertly folded the towel into a small square before plopping it down in my bag.

I wasn't used to revealing much of myself to anyone, because normally I was so focused and intent upon helping improve every aspect of other people's lives. But just this once, I took the initiative and replied, feeling a bit nervous, "Just call me Victoria, Miss. And you?"

"...Jinli. Choi...Jinli."

"Honesty," I whispered to myself. How unfitting was the beautiful name bestowed upon her...

"Excuse me?" she asked shyly.

"No, nothing," I replied, shaking my head. Then, unable to find anything else to say, I said, the finality evident within my voice, "Well, I should take my leave now, but are you sure you'll be okay?"

"What? U-Uh, yeah," she stammered, distracted. Pushing down my arousing curiosities, I nodded once and spun around, prepared to leave before I would dig myself in deeper to some unncessary new traumas, when -

"U-Um wait!" she called out, sounding afraid. Her high-pitched voice echoed relentlessly through the dark abyss of night, arousing my own selfless conscious to nudge my soul again, prompting me to help this lost child. Shifting my position just so that I could see her out of the corner of my eye, I noticed just how alone she looked under the glaring moonlight singling her out from the merging darkness that hid all else. Then I wondered, is anyone even in that house at all? Is she really as alone as she seems...? The only thing that really stood out from that involuntary spotlight were her dark brown curls, and even they looked weak, frumpled, and exhausted, as if they desired nothing but a warm bath and a pillow to be laid on.

"Yes?" I finally asked, fully turning around again while brushing away some auburn strands of my hair from the wind.

It took her a while to say something, but soon enough she managed, her fingers fidgeting, "U-Um...Not to offend you or anything but...Why are you caring for me so much?"

"I mean, to you I'm probably just another desperate, yet reckless, stupid rich party girl who works part time as some e, aren't I?"

"Just...why?"

"...Because it's my job, Miss Choi."

And with that I left, already knowing deep inside that someway or another, fate would intertwine me with this lost maiden once more. It always happened. So much times that now I could unmistakably recognize the growing feeling in my gut that soon, I would have to take care of another mental/trauma/horror issue again. I knew it was my job, and that I helped tons of people by touching their hearts where most would not, while at the same time getting a decent pay, but somewhere along the way it really did distort my view on life and my personality. Countless people have even informed me that they have missed the old me, but sadly I could not even remember what the 'old me' was. I just couldn't. Maybe that's why I tried so hard to get involved with other people's lives instead; to ignore that old gaping hole left within my own... 

All in all I wasn't too open on helping anyone just right at this moment, especially with so much going on already. So when I had that feeling that somehow I would need to help the girl later on, I wasn't too pleased. At first I was open to, but seeing as to just how hard her eyes - desperate ones at that - seemed to cling onto my soul like fish on a hook, I knew that soon, nothing would be the same.

I didn't really know, however, that who I would be helping wasn't necessarily her, but almost someone just like me, except on the other side of the river, where the camera was facing them and not me. The single lone camera that divided us two would make all the difference, but in the end, as always, I would have to take the difficult route across and reach out to that person also, before it was too late, and to possibly make up a debt that I had unknowingly caused.

If only I'd known just what was ahead of me...

And...if only I was aware of the fact that it would be with him...

~*

Victoria...

V ictoria, Victoria, Victoria...

"Because it's my job, Miss Choi."

"Should I be honest with you?"

"Are you okay?"

"Gonna get in trouble?"

Just...who are you?

Victoria.

"Oh em in' gawd, WHERE WERE YOU!?" Krystal shouted at the top of her voice from a white, cashmere couch once I stumbled in through the door, looking ferverently around the wide living room in case any maids were present to tell me off to my parents, who would explode with anger for sure. It was close to 4:00 AM anyways...

Thankfully, none were there, although it might've Krystal who just shoo'ed them off...I didn't even know she stayed at my home all day, waiting for me, which was enough to both move me and frighten me. I wasn't sure of which one right at the moment...

In any case, I was safe, and really, that's all that mattered. Once I rushed into my room, however, I was driven to the wall, hard, by not only her powerful voice but also her strong, strong hands, briefly reeling my mind back to the iron grip of those thirteen guys before my mind flickered back to my present, reminding myself that indeed, I was safe and nobody could hurt me now. It took a while to sink in, but inevitably it was true. Well, at least now it was. I didn't learn my lesson with Shin Dongho, but I certainly did with Lee Sungjong.

Now I did. When it's too late. When it only got so much worse than last time...

Who knows what Sungjong could stir within me now? I...I don't want to get pregnant again. I just don't.

But one thing's for sure...

Infinite has just lost an Inspirit. Although they probably gain a dozen or so more every second.

"I-It doesn't matter, Krystal," I gasped out, the shock from her sudden attack just fading. Fearing for my life as I stared into her blazen eyes, I squirmed out of her grip and dashed towards the relative safety of my thick animal-fur covers, draping them over me just as Krystal lunged upon of me, making the wind knocked cleanly out of my lungs. I could barely speak as, to my shock, she began sobbing, incoherently muffling out through the stuffy gap between us, "Ohmagod ohmagod ohmagod Jinli...Y-You have no idea how ing damn much I've been scared!"

...What?

"I looked all around Seoul for you, dammit! I used $100 for some lame taxi service because they sensed that I was rich and wouldn't drive me unless I paid up, a-and I couldn't find you no matter what and I felt so guilty I-I thought I would die! In fact, your b-b-brother even called, b-b-but I had to ignore all the rings when he called ten ing times! I...I was scared, Jinli, scared to hell! Just howcouldyoudothis?!" And then she retched out a fresh new batch of sobs, each cry striking my heart more and more. Her weight was heavy and hot upon my covered body, and for a second I felt the need to comfort her and not vice-versa.

Unleashing the covers from my body, I made my way out from my human sandwich and wrapped my arms gently around her shaking, hot body, lightly leaning my head upon her heaving back. We stayed that way for ten aching, tension-filled minutes, in which her sobs have gratifingly winded down to that of the occasional sniff or lone tear drop, her great sadness and fear, mingled with both guilt and shame, finally eased. Oh how I was thankful that she was back...

Until...

"Jinli," she said, her voice suddenly very cold, cold to the brim, as if somehow I committed the greatest crime in the world right in front of her face. Feeling tenfold more afraid than how I'd been back out there, I asked, my arms weakening around her stiffened body, "W-What?"

Turning around to face me, with a pale, messy, sticky white face, slightly open mouth, and eyes so red they resembled that of a drop of blood, she croaked out, asking the one question I stuffed so deep within myself ever since all this started happening that I dreaded to hear it -

"Who are you?"

My innards grew cold.

"Jinli Choi wouldn't be like this. She wouldn't flake out on her family and friends just because she's hurt. She wouldn't play around with immature idols who only want someone to play around with, then get and ed over. And...she wouldn't keep changing from one person to another. The Jinli I know...is headstrong, funny, chill, and only mopes when truly no one's there for her, which is nearly never."

"Just...what's gotten into you?"

Honestly, I'd been asking that myself. I didn't know where the old Jinli went, within the brand new calamities constantly sprouting up from where I least expected. If I couldn't handle these crazy situations, just how did she, or anyone else for that matter, expect me to grip a tight reign upon my fleeting self, that in which is dying every second?

All I knew, though, was that as I kept staring into Krystal's torn eyes, unable to answer her question...

Was that now, Choi Jinli was a stranger.

And I...was someone who I never wanted to be. Just what will it take to retrieve myself back?

That answer...I might never know soon enough.