The Rough Start

Stupid Oppa, I Love You

 

He is 5. She is 4.

 

Her parents love him. He is prim, charming, and intelligent.

 

She hates him. He is domineering, moody, and cold.

 

And she hates the fact that her parents keep on insisting her to play with him. Their mothers are close to each other so they expect them to grow up like that.

 

Come on, how do they expect her to play with him? They are opposite poles. He is a boy. She is a girl. Can she play dolls with him? Of course not. So it all goes down on him to decide for the games. It’s not that they actually play because most of the time, they will just be sitting next to each other doing their own thing. Except for some time when he really was not in the mood and he just wanted to get rid of her.

 

Kyuhyun would ask her to play hide-and-seek. If he was the “It”, he will just let her hide somewhere and he would not bother to find her anymore. Meanwhile, she would just be waiting patiently for him to find her, not knowing that he actually did not have the intention to find her. If Seohyun was the “it”, then he would choose a very difficult hiding place so that she would not be able to find him. Define “difficult hiding place”. A place which is about 50 meters away from their backyard play area.

 

If only she had a choice, she wanted to have a new playmate. She knew Kyuhyun wanted the same too. Sadly, they are the only children in the neighborhood. No matter how much she wanted to avoid him, she could not. Because he is just living next door. They have no choice. They are stuck up with each other.

 

“Hyunnie…” Their mothers called out signaling that their business talk- slash- tea session was already over.

 

“Ne…” the two chorused. Seohyun turned around to Kyuhyun who had an undeniable annoyed expression on his face. A second later, she regretted having a momentary eye contact with him. He sent her another sharp look yet again.

 

Even before, Seohyun already realized what is the root of Kyuhyun’s dislike to her. It’s her name. It’s the same sounding name.

 

Kyuhyun. Joohyun. Both have Hyuns. Both have the same household nickname. Hyunie.

 

To their parents, it’s a very convenient thing. They just need to call a single name and automatically two will respond.

 

To them, it’s a very inconvenient thing. In preparatory school, they have earned titles such as “The Two Hyuns”, “The Hyun Siblings”, “The Hyun Duo”, “The Hyun Twins” etc… And if they were lucky that day, they would meet some mean children poking fun at their names, confusing them to whom they really were referring to. Whenever this thing happens, Kyuhyun would shot her a look like he could eat her alive. He seems to blaming it to her.

 

Is it her fault that it was the name given to her? She was just a baby back then. She could not react and say to her parents, “Mom, change that. It isn’t original.”

 

That’s why she found the tales of her mother ridiculous. She said that as a baby, she immediately liked Kyuhyun-oppa because she held his hand. She also mentioned that Kyuhyun-oppa seems to really have some interest on her because he always visited their house and whenever he came, she would instantly stop crying and smile at him. That just sounds so far-fetched looking at their situation now. I.R.O.N.I.C. So ironic.

--------------------

 

“How was your play?” Her mother asked her.

 

Play? It’s more like enduring his glares and ever present scowl.

 

“It’s so enjoyable.” Seohyun replied, faking a bright smile while Kyuhyun still kept his poker face.

 

----------------

 

However, something happened when she was in her first-grade that made her look at him in a different light.


A/N:

It takes long for me to update this because I am not sure if I will narrate it in a linear way or start with them as adults and insert flashbacks in between. FInally, I chose the first one because it's easier and it helps to build up the plot more. 

Anyway, this fic is kinda new to me and it's different to the SeoKyu fics that I've read here in AFF because this one will tell the story from SeoKyu's childhood up to adolescent to young adults. Most of the SeoKyu ff here are SeoKyu teens/ adults....