Love Bites [Yadong]

Boys' Love ` ( collection

author: jwhong005 / written: idrwhen / pairing: yadong / rating: pg-(13) possibly / cr: vampire feels

 

The concept of being a vampire was new to Lee Howon. Immortality was something he wasn't supposed to believe in but when Kim Sunggyu stumbled upon his life, he had no choice but to believe. Even so, for that immortality that he didn't really want or planned to acquire, it made him leave behind the things that meant the most to him; his family. "You'll get a new family," Sunggyu promised, leaving no other explanation behind after dropping the newly born vampire off on grounds that looked ominous, cliché even since the inhabitants were all vampires.

 

 

"Welcome to the Lee Academy," a tall male with raven hair with a tint of blue greeted, giving a toothy grin in which his fangs showed slightly. He wore no means of identification so Howon had no choice but to follow him off towards the school. "I expect that Sunggyu-sshi explained the basics of our establishment."

 

Howon's eyes narrowed. Sunggyu had told him no such things as the 'basics' of anything. He merely left with a simple 'goodbye' and a wish of luck before walking away in reassurance to the fledgling that things would get better. That left Howon to shake his head. He hadn't been given any useful information that made any sense to him.

 

"Well," the man said, sighing obviously in disappointment, "we will have to fix that, shall we? I will you to the Headmaster's office and from there his son will show you to your respective quarters. Just be careful. The Headmaster's boy is a wild one."

 

Before he could ask what that meant, the moment they stepped inside the doors that seemed to lead into a long corridor they were in a large office with bookshelves on the walls, covered in dissertations of different kinds. Everything was intimidating to say the least. Howon was much too busy looking around at the surroundings when he bumped into the male that brought him into the school, feeling bad about it since he wasn't paying the least amount of attention.

 

Sitting in the corner of the room with a large book on his lap bound in leather was a man, spectacles on perched on his nose as he read, the pages being flipped in the air without any movement visible. It would appear that teleportation wouldn't be the only surprising aspect of the new lifestyle that Howon embarked upon.

 

"Thank you Daeryong. That will be all your services will be needed for today," 

 

Suddenly, Howon's attention snapped to the grown man in the chair, recognizing him as the head of the school without knowing his name. It was obvious the way that the dark-haired male, Daeryong apparently, nodded his head obediently like a subordinate in the army with a bow to follow.

 

"Of course Headmaster-nim," Daeryong stood to full attention and turned, making short eye contact with Hoya accompanied with what looked to be a smirk, prior to making his quiet exit from the premisis.

 

"So from what I understand it was Kim Sunggyu that turned you." The headmaster said as more of a statement rather than a question to which Howon agreed to nonetheless. "That means that he is your caretaker and any mistakes that you commit here or outside in the mundane realm will fall back upon him. Here at the academy we do not accept insolence, Howon."

 

"H-How—"

 

"I am a mind reader Howon. It happens to be one of my many talents that led to my position at this school." Rising to his full height, he snapped the dusty book shut and left it from where he had been holding it up, letting it stay in mid air. "Allow me to introduce myself Howon. I am Jang Dongwan, the great grandson of the woman who founded this school in memory of her late husband. Here I am in charge and each wing of the school has a third year student that will foresee everything that goes on. I suppose this is the time where I should get you acquainted with my son, Dongwoo. He will be in charge of your wing on the west side of the grounds."

 

 

"If you follow all the rules new kid, you'll get out of here once your three years are up alive. Then maybe you'll be able to move onto the other school my dad has going." Dongwoo, a broad shouldered, red haired male droned on, not caring whether or not Howon was listening. "And by the way, I'm not your baby sitter. The ony reason that I even have to take this damn title is 'cause of my father."

 

Silently, Howon nodded, holding the small bag of clothes that he had taken with him. It was a meager bit but it was more than Sunggyu was originally going to let him bring along. It had his human scent and to humans for whatever reason that that it was bad. Not bothering the older male would prove to be harder said than done since with Howon's luck they were stuck in the room together. His side was smaller, consisting of a single bed while Dongwoo had a twin sized mattress and a bedside table only for this extra things.

 

"Maybe you should use some freakin' words too, kid. I'm already gettin' tired of the silent treatment." Dongwoo snapped, a small flame erupting from the tips of his fingers as he jabbed a slim finger against Howon's chest, singeing the material of his t-shirt a bit. "You do know Korean, right? You aren't mute or anything like that?"

 

"Actually," Howon began to correct the elder, more out of frustration than meaning to disrepect, "even if I was mute, I'd know Korean from growing up hearing it. I just wouldn't be able to talk."

 

"Of course when you decide to say somethin' it's gotta be something only a smart would answer back with." Dongwoo shoved his hands into the pockets of his uniform slacks, groaning. "Whatever. Your uniform is in the chest at the foot of your bed."

 

Gratefully, Howon nodded, falling silent again with the thought to not speak to Dongwoo too often. It didn't seem liked him very much even though they just met. But Sunggyu had explained something about vampires to him once. He didn't understand why it mattered at the time but then again, being newly born, nothing made sense.

 

"Think of the academy as another high school experience from square one. It's filled with cliques. The biggest one you have to look out for is the pure bloods. You can probaly figure out who they are right away. They all stick together. And since you aren't a pure blood, don't expect them to be nice to you."

 

Howon didn't think it would be so easy to point out who was who but Sunggyu's words proved to be true when he arrived for his first class of the day. People turned to stare at him, small glints of crimson in their irises. His eyes only turned that color feeding but surely the pure bloods had abilities that he could only think about.

 

Dongwoo was one of those vampires, or people as Howon continued to call them no matter where he was despite always being corrected or scolded about it. He had the ability to manipulate fire, burning whoever or whatever he wanted with even the flick of his wrist. With great strength and speed to top it off, Dongwoo gained a title  that only the purest of the pure could obtain. Under normal circumstances Sunggyu would have been there to tell Howon that but a second year Woohyun came to the conclusion that he should instead.

 

Comfort came with having a class or two to spend in Hell with Woohyun. They would talk to each other and partner up for assignements where all the pure bloods would go together. The teacher even knew not to assign partners. Things were supposed to be smooth for class, not rough and tense. Naturally that meant that all the turned vampires got together, bonding due to their exclusion. Howon couldn't be any happier at this though since he didn't mind at all. He was beginning to like Woohyun as a good friend.

 

"I'm not a pure blood by the way," 

 

"I know that already," Howon admitted, catching Woohyun off guard, seeing a flicker of surprise in his expression. "The one who turned me told me that before I came here. He said something about them excluding me. They've been doing a pretty good job so far so I just figured who they were."

 

"Oh ... So you're in Dongwoo-sunbae's wing from what I hear. That's pretty rough. He's a tough guy. He has little spies all over the school, too. Probably because he's Headmaster's son and all." Woohyun said, leaning in to whisper since he felt like someone else would be listening. "Just keep on your toes, man, 'kay? The last guy that pissed Dongwoo up got the skin on his arm practically melted off. Be careful."

 

He couldn't help it. Howon found himself looking over at Dongwoo's table, even if it was for a short second, and their eyes met. Howon was the first to look away but Dongwoo's gaze lingered a bit. Unlike the other stares that Howon had been getting, Dongwoo's expression was softer than usual. Odd.

 

 

Warnings always got to Howon so he was careful to mind his steps around Dongwoo. It was just like walking around on egg shells, making each step cautious to not disrupt anything. Dongwoo couldn't really understand why. He had always possessed a reputation of being intimidating, and in fact he had tried to change that once or twice but it just didn't fit his image so he went back to being himself. Outlandishly enough, Dongwoo had already had enough of it only on Howon's second month of school.

 

"Is there somethin' wrong with me to you?" Dongwoo asked one day as he laid in bed facing the opposite direction of Howon since he was doing homework with a little book light on.

 

Pausing, Howon's eyes went a bit wide. He had told the other he was doing homework when really he was writing Sunggyu a letter in response to the one he had gotten a few days previous. "U-Uh, of course not sunbae. What makes you think that?"

 

"First of all," Dongwoo started, sitting up as he rubbed his temples, "don't call me 'sunbae' 'cause it's Dongwoo. Secondly, you avoid me like the plague."

 

"You told me not to bother you so I don't. Besides, you act as if you'd talk to me outside of this room. Do you even remember the difference between you and I? You were born a vampire and I was turned a little less than a year ago." Howon tapped his pencil against his notebook, refusing to look at the red headed male.

 

"Tch, you must'a been listening better that day than I thought." Dongwoo inhaled deep so that Howon could hear, unnecessarily exhaling as well. "Startin' tomorrow you better look at me in the hall. Oh, and in math I've been having some issues. I don't get why we need to know what the hell X is in an equation but I need to pass the course so you're helpin' me."

 

Without thinking Howon smiled a bit, even if it was for a flash. Dongwoo caught it.

 

"Now got to sleep. Your sunbae needs some shut eye."

 

He honestly didn't want to but Howon obeyed, shutting off the small light to call it a night. He didn't bother to undress from his uniform since he had had a long day of dodging students who he knew didn't like him to get to Woohyun along with his actual homework. It certainly wasn't insomia that he felt but the thought of sleep just wouldn't come to him.

 

The same went for Dongwoo. He didn't know why he cared but he didn't look at Howon was a pure blood or a vampire that was turned. He was simply Lee Howon, the new kid that barely talked to him. But that could've been the thing Dongwoo liked about him the most. He didn't make comments but just let him be him. Defintely not something his father had ever let him do.

 

"Hey kid,"

 

A grumble sounded as a reply.

 

"Meet me in the library tomorrow. We got the same break, don't we?"

 

"We have the same break, yes." Howon corrected, burying his face into his pillow since he laid down tiredness had finally washed over him. "And sure, I guess if that's what you want to do, I'll see you there."

 

 

Even though Dongwoo couldn't come to say it out loud, he was glad that the turned fledgling came to the school. He started to get better grades in math and started to smile just a bit more than usual. His friends were concerned. Since when did Jang Dongwoo smile? It wasn't like anything was on fire.

 

"You coming to the party later?" Sungjong, a pure blood, feminine male asked Dongwoo after the last class of the day—math of course. He had recently gotten a C on the test that Dongwoo oddly aced. "Unless you have something else to do."

 

Dongwoo laughed, throwing his book bag onto his shoulder. "I might show up a bit late, but, yeah I'm goin'."

 

"You better be there. You haven't been showing up to any parties lately. It's like you've been living underneath a rock for the past few months." Sungjong said, being dragged away by a pure blood Myungsoo.

 

After his friends walked away, Dongwoo went his own separate way, choosing a longer route to get to his dorm room. He didn't like going that way because it was out of his way but he had a particular reason he did it. Not that he was planning on telling any of his friends that. Luckily, Howon was okay with that.

 

"It took you long enough," the brunette said, looking up from his text book as he sat on the window sill seat, not even looking up. Howon had gotten used to listening for the nearly soundless footsteps of the latter. Dongwoo got an odd pleasure out of scaring the younger.

 

"It isn't fun that you know it's me," Dongwoo sighed, leaning against the wall since Howon was taking up the whole window sill with his legs spread out. He didn't mind but a part of him wished that they could sit next to each other instead. "I can make it up to you though if that's what you want. I don't have too many promises though."

 

The younger smiled, turning slightly to grab Dongwoo's tie, pulling him towards himself. Dongwoo was caught off guard and off course he almost fell, reaching out to stop himself, his palm slamming against the stain glass window as a soft pair of lips pressed against his own. Dongwoo felt slender fingers thread his hair, keeping him in place throughout the breaktaking kiss.

 

"Just don't be late again. I think my fangs are finally growing in."