Six

No Need for Words

 

Luhan

                I break into a run as the tears start flowing.  I thought Sehun wanted me like I want him, but the way he hesitated—I couldn’t bear to look at him.  I come to a stop as my lungs burn and my throat closes up, wiping my face dry.  I bend down and rest my hands on my knees, panting and wheezing, and as I look up I see a familiar figure sitting on one of the courtyard benches.  What did Sehun call him?  Baekhyun, I think.  I tell myself to run, but my legs disobey me and bring me over to him.  He’s hunched over and my stomach twists at the wine-red splotches on his shirt, but I step closer.  He looks up, and his eyes are dark and pained.

                “What do you want?” he mutters.  I can tell Sehun has beaten him pretty severely, and I loop my arm around his shoulder, placing his arm around my neck.  “What are you doing?” he asks in surprise, but I ignore him and help him rise.

                As we walk down the hallways, he directs me to his dorm room.  After I clean up his wounds, I take my notepad out and start interrogating.

                “How do you know Sehun?” I write.

                He sighs and adjusts his seated position.  “He’s my cousin.”  What.  The.  .

                “Why do you hate me?”  I start to cross it out because it might remind him that I don’t belong here, but he reads too quickly.

                “I don’t.  I just… You remind me of someone.”  I wait for him to elaborate.  “I don’t really like to think about him.”

                “Who?”

                Another sigh.  “You ask too many questions.  Just because you’re with Sehunnie and he tries to be all macho and protective of you doesn’t mean I’m going to be nice to you.”

                “Why not?”

                He narrows his eyes at me, but I keep my expression blank.  “You’re not giving up, are you?”  I shake my head, and he seems to mull over his decision before relaxing in his seat.  His eyes are softer now, reflective.  “There’s more to Sehun than you think.  Did you know that his brother’s dead?”  His voice cracks and I feel like I’ve been slapped across the face.  “I’ll take that as a no.”  He clears his throat and pauses for a few minutes.  I watch as his eyes become even darker, if that’s possible.  “Donghun was .  By my dad.”

                I stumble out of my chair and stand up as I feel myself become woozy.  In, out.  In, out.  This is why Sehun’s face hardens whenever we come across the subject.

                “He was traumatized, depressed, unable to tell anyone.  And I knew because I saw... them, but I couldn’t—It was my dad—I didn’t know what—”  He breaks off, and I see the suffering behind his tough exterior, the agony, the grief.  “Then one day I went to visit him, to apologize for letting it continue for so long, to say that I would tell someone, that I would get him help.  But I opened the door, and—”  His breathing is labored, and there’s something disturbing about the hurt expression on his face.  “He had hanged himself.”  His voice is hardly a whisper, his eyes glistening and wet.

                In an instant my arms are around him, and his tears pour out, his sobs sending tremors through my body.  “I’m sorry, Luhan.  I’m so sorry.  You didn’t deserve what I put you through.”  And I know I should be angry at him for keeping Donghun’s abuse to himself, for taking his frustration out on me, but I know that he’s hurting, that he needs this, needs forgiveness.

 

Sehun

                What am I doing here?  I can still see Baekhyun’s bloodstains in the grass, and I let out a drawn out breath as I sit on a bench.

                “Hey,” someone says.  I look up, and Kris, who I’ve met a couple times, ambles towards me.

                “Hey.”

                “Where’s Luhan?  It’s like you guys are always together these days.”  There’s a teasing glimmer in his eye, and I know what he’s implying.

                “I don’t know.  I think I did something stupid that upset him.”

                “Well, you’d better fix it.  He gets really absorbed in his nightmares, and if he has one—oh, man—I’ll have to live with hearing him toss around in his sleep for days.”

                “He gets nightmares?”

                “Yeah, but lately it’s been okay because he spends so much time with you.”  His tone softens as he adds, “You make him happy.”

                “I’m a ing idiot.”

                Kris grins and pats my shoulder.  “Yes, you are, but you’re an idiot in love.”

 

 

--

There'll probably only be like one chapter left hahha.