Reasons

Love between Fire and Ice

 

JONGHYUN’S POV

“We’re getting married.”

My eyes suddenly dilated and my blood pressure suddenly went up.

“Wh- what did you say?” I asked even though I’m not sure if I wanted to hear the answer.

I know. I heard it, loud and clear. I’m getting married.

YES! I’m getting.. WHAT?

“I said, we are getting married.” She said.

“Wha—“

“This is the last time I’m saying this noodle guy. We’re getting married whether you like it or not.” She said as she continued eating.

 “There’s no freaking way I’m marrying you!” I said, loudly emphasizing the word ‘NO’.

“Sadly, you can’t do anything.” She answered back.

“MOM!”

“Jonghyun, I’ll explain everything to you.” My mom said. Her eyes were already watery, which made my heart in pain. I never saw my mom looked like that, ever.

“I’ll go ahead then so that you two can talk.” Ice Princess said as she stood up.

“I’ll—“

“No Mrs. Kim. I can go by myself. Thanks for the dinner.” She said and eventually faded away.

My mom and I sat on the dining table awkwardly, waiting for anyone to break the silence.

A few minutes after, I heard my mom sighed.

“We never wanted to do this to you.” My mom said as she held one of my hands.

“But we don’t have a choice.” She continued, this time a tear fell on her cheek.

“I’m sorry.” My mom said.

“What do you mean by that? I’m really marrying her? For real?” I asked. My eyes wanted to let go of the tears inside. I don’t want to get married yet. I don’t want to marry anyone, especially her!

“Your dad and Ms. Jung’s dad were friends since high school. In business, they only had each other to rely on. When you were still young, your dad’s business didn’t go well while Ms. Jung’s businesses were blooming. Your dad asked for his help. Of course, he gave in. As time passed by, it was only Ms. Jung’s dad who has always helped your dad. Your dad felt indebted and promised Ms. Jung’s dad that he will raise you well so that one day, you’ll be a good husband to his one and only daughter.” My mom said.

“But why? We’re still young.” I know, in one way or another, I can escape this marriage.

“Because Ms. Jung’s parents died 2 months ago,”

“What?”

“Jonghyun, Jessica doesn’t have anyone to be there for her anymore. A lot of people are trying to fool her, especially in business. And your dad, he was the only person Mr. Jung entrusted Jessica to. He wrote in his last will that as long as Jessica does not have the capacity to handle the business or any husband to handle the business, your dad will take care of Jung’s corporation. For 2 months, Jessica received a lot of threats and harassments. Your dad thinks that only you can help Jessica.”

“But I don’t love her.”

“Your dad and I agreed that when the time comes that Jessica can already handle Jung’s corporation on her own, you can divorce her.”

“Does she know?”

“The only thing that she knows is the fact that she can’t get her will and handle the business unless you marry her.” My mom explained,

“So, what am I? I’m just a gateway to her success? What about my life?” I said, trying to hold back my tears.

Grrr, I can’t believe this day is so full of drama.

“Jonghyun, you can go on with your life after this. You can do whatever you want. Just, please bear it for a while.”

“Mom, I can’t find any reason for me to agree to this. I can’t benefit anything out of this marriage.” I said as I stood up.

My mom grabbed my hand and suddenly burst into tears.

“Jonghyun! If Jung’s Corporation will be in bad hands, everything that Jessica’s worked for will fade away. That includes your dad’s business.”

“Huh?”

“Jung’s Corporation is a major shareholder of your dad’s company. As much as I don’t want to force you, I also don’t want your dad and our whole family to be buried by debts. Please Jonghyun.”

I so want to yell at that time. Why do I have to suffer like this? I thought arranged marriages only happens in movies. Urgh!

My body suddenly reacted and I suddenly ran out of nowhere.

I don’t know where I was headed to and I don’t care where I will be. I just want to get away from that house.

After a few minutes of running, I found myself in the river banks, trying to catch my breath. I walked towards the river, picked a stone and threw it as hard as I could. And then, I yelled. I yelled really, really loud, not minding those if there are people hearing my.

I tried to catch my breath again.

“I’m such an unlucky person when it comes to love.” I said, trying to hold back my tears. And then, I laughed. I don’t what gotten into me. I just want to laugh.

A few minutes after, I tried to calm myself and just sat right in front of the river, watching the water flow.

When I was already calm, I suddenly heard someone sobbing.

I stood up and looked around to look for that person. After a few seconds of walking, I finally found the person who was crying.

At the back view, she looked really familiar. She has the golden blond, straight hair and a doll like feature. When I went to the side, I suddenly got shocked when I realized that it was Jessica.

“Appa, Umma? I really missed you.” She said as she looked towards the sky.

“Just this afternoon, I met him. His name is Jonghyun. He looks really good. He has a very nice smile and he’s very warm.” She continued.

Wait, did I hear it right? Is she praising me?

“Mrs. Kim and Jonghyun have been very good to me and treated my warmly inside their house. And the food that Mrs. Kim cooked was really good. But still, I missed Umma’s deliciously made food.” She stopped and wiped her tears.

“But Appa, even if Jonghyun looks like a good person, I still don’t understand why I have to marry him.”

“It’s because I’m perfect, pabo!” I unintentionally yelled. I immediately closed my mouth and tried to hide.

“Appa? You’re answering me now? Appa? Can you really hear me?” She suddenly said with a hopeful voice.

This seems fun.

“Ehm, Yes. I can hear you.” I said, silently laughing inside.

“Appa? Why do I have to marry him? Why did you choose him for me?” She asked innocently.

What should I say? HAHAHAHA! I can’t believe that this Ice princess could be so stupid sometimes.

“Because he’s perfect.” I said and smiled evily.

Yep, I’m sure I’m perfect. HAHAHA

“Perfect? That guy? Tsch. But he looks like a trash to me Appa.”

WHAT THE HELL DID SHE JUST SAY? ME? A TRASH? AISH!!

“I thought you were praising him earlier?” I said, trying to calm myself. What the hell.

“Well, I just said that to make you think that I’m doing great. But now that I’m talking to you, I just want to be honest.”

HONEST? DID SHE JUST SAY HONEST?!! AHHH!

“YAH! What are you saying? I’m a trash? HUH?!” I asked angrily as I went out of my hiding place. Grr. This girl just get’s on my nerves!!

“Omo! Did you hear what I said?” She asked.

“ISN’T IT OBVIOUS?! IT WASN’T YOUR DAD! IT WAS ME!” I yelled. How can this girl be so stupid.

“I knew it was you.” She coldly said and sat back on the grasses near the river.

“What? You knew it was me? How?”

“I was just playing along.” She said.

“Tsch, impossible.” I said. But after that sentence, silence overpowered us.

What’s wrong with this girl, she’s totally weird.

“My Umma and Appa was involved in an accident. And in this spot,” She said as she pointed the river right in front of us,

“is where their car sunk.” She said and stared at the river.

I didn’t know what to say at that time. I honestly feel bad for what happened but I don’t know how to console her so I just stayed quiet.

“Don’t feel bad for me though.” She suddenly said, which caught me off guard.

“Just because I’m an orphan doesn’t mean I’m lonely.”

“You are lonely.” I said.

“I’m not.” She insisted.

“That’s what you call being defensive.” I said and looked at her.

She moved her gaze away from me and stared back to the river.

“Don’t worry; you won’t be lonely from now on.” I said, still looking at her. She looked surprised and then looked at me coldly.

“Huh?”

“I’m already here, so you won’t be lonely anymore.” I said and smiled.

I know I just knew her. But there’s something in her that really makes her special. After hearing and witnessing things, I realized that there’s something in me that wants to protect her.

 

 

*****************************************************************************************************************

A/N

Thank you for commenting and subscribing!! :)