Ugly Duckling Turned Swan

Ugly Duckling Turned Swan

   I gasped. My legs felt shaky, and I held onto Jaejoong for support. He rubbed my head, as if he was comforting me.

   I felt tears in my eyes.

   I didn't make it.

 

   Just kidding, I did!

   My name was right up there, in big black print. Underneath Oh Micha was the name Kim Sun.

   Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!!!!!

   I squealed, gaining new strength in my shapely legs, and I jumped up to hug Jaejoong around the neck. He chuckled and hugged me back. "Congratulations, Sun!"

   Oh Micha came running over and hugged me. "Congratulations, Sun! We're in this together now! I can't wait to get in good with the SHINee members! We should totally be BFFs!"

   I was too surprised by her total friendliness to hug her back. "Um, thanks, Micha."

   She giggled and waltzed away. "See you tomorrow at the SHINe's agency, Sun! The choreographer said we have to be there at 10:00, and no later!'

   I nodded dumbly. "Oh, okay."

   Jaejoong smiled. "I think you'll need a good night's sleep, Sun."

   I doubted I could sleep after this. I felt like staying up all night. But I remembered that would give me bags under my eyes, and I wanted to look beautiful for Choi Minho. Even prettier than Oh Micha.

   I went to bed extra-early that day, and I woke up too early.

   Feeling hyper and frenzied, I pulled on the cute clothes I chose the day before. Jaejoong woke up half an hour later, yawning and rubbing his sticking-up hairdo. I snickered. "I don't think angels should look like what you look like in the morning."

   "Aw, shut up." He poured himself a bowl of cereal.

   "I don't understand your obsession with Lucky Charms, Jaejoong, I hate cereal." I told him, smearing a slice of toast with peanut butter and jelly.

   "Again, shut up." Jaejoong told me, spooning some marshmallows into his mouth.

   "I'm so excited!" I screamed. Somebody upstairs banged their floors in annoyance to the sudden loud noise. "Sorry, sorry," I whispered to them, quieting down.

   Jaejoong walked me to the agency for the SHINee band. "Oo, I can't wait to see them!"

   As soon as I walked in, a man suddenly came storming up. "Were the hell were you?" He roared at me. "When we chose dancers, we want PUNCTUAL dancers, PUNCTUAL!" He spat a little into my face, and I cringed away.

   Jaejoong side-stepped in between me and the yelling man. "Excuse me, sir, my name is Jaejoong and I am Kim Sun's manager, is there a problem?" He spoke fluidly, his angelic beauty dazzling the man a bit.

   "I am the head choreographer for the dancers and back-up dancers in SHINee." He snarled, trying to regain his composure. "And I made sure that both dancers knew they had to be here at 8:00 sharp!"

   I shook my head, dumbfounded. "I'm sorry, sir, but Oh Micha told me it was 10:00."

   "Humph! Don't make excuses! Now I have to teach you seperately! Don't let this happen again, or you're fired!" He stormed away.

   I blinked back tears, but they still managed to escape and roll down my pearly cheeks. "But......but......."

   "It's okay, he's always like that."

   I whirled around to find Choi Minho standing there. He smiled gently at me and handed me a white hankerchief. "Here, wipe your face on this." He said quietly.

   I took it and, embarassed, wiped away my tears. "Thanks," I stammered. He smiled at me again. "You can keep that hankerchief. Nice to meet you, I'm Choi Minho."

   "I know," I mumbled. "Lead rapper to the SHINee band. I'm a huge fan."

    He nodded, smiling. "What's your name? I'm sorry, none of us had the time to check out the back-up dancer's chart."

   "Kim Sun," I said quietly. I peeked up to find him staring at me, almost fixated.

   "What a pretty name. It suits you perfectly."

   I blushed. Was Choi Minho calling me pretty in a very confusing way?

   "Minho~" someone called super-sweetly. "Minho, where are you?"

   Oh Micha came forward, wearing a super short miniskirt and a tight T-shirt that showed off her big chest. She saw me and smiled sweetly.

   "Sun! I'm so sorry, I got the time wrong! Was Mr. Yeoung super-mad? I got the time right, but I didn't know your phone number and I couldn't correct you! Don't worry, I asked Mr. Yeoung and I have your number now, so that won't happen again! Do you forgive me? Pretty please, with cherries on top?"

   Once again, I was staggered by the amount of words she could fit into a couple of seconds, and it made me stupid again. "Um....okay."

   She turned away from me as though I wasn't there, here sparkling eyes locking on Minho's. "Minho, where were you? I was just about to ask you if you wanted to eat lunch with me?"

   I was shocked as I looked at that-that FACE she was giving him. It was totally a bedroom-eyed look. Holy crap, she wanted to hook up with Choi Minho!

   I felt red-hot anger surge up inside of me. She was too ty to be with Minho, in my opinion. Just see the way she looked at him, like he was a piece of candy she wanted to eat up. Literally.

   That's when my heart nearly stopped, because Minho looked away from her lustful gaze and moved closer to me, so close his hand brushed mine. "Sorry, but I already promised to eat lunch with Sun."

   Micha's jaw dropped. Her eyes narrowed, and closed. I could tell she was grinding her teeth.

   As soon as this display of wild-cat behaviour was forming, it was gone. She smiled again, literally dripping with honey and sugar. "Of course. Sun just missed two hours of dance practice. We don't want her to be left BEHIND, now do we?"

   She smiled at me as though we were best friends, but I saw a personality like Nam Sunghee in her. She would stop at nothing, even fake being somebody's friend, to completely and utterly destroy them and get what they want. I felt wary, but she just passed me a stack of sheets.

   "Here, Sun. When you didn't show up, I took the liberty to type up the dance moves for you. I tried to make them as simple as possible for you to understand, okay? Bye-bye." She winked at me, but it felt more like a wink directed to Minho. Then she turned around and walked away.

   Jaejoong grinned and winked at me too. "I'll see you later, Sun. Good luck."

   Minho smiled at me gently. "You want to eat outside? I know a good place to eat. We have an hour break, and it's not too far from here."

   "Okay," I said shakily. I was going out to eat with Choi Minho, and he just stood up a gorgeousand-super-hot-but-kinda-ty pretty dancer girl for me.

   I felt crushed. I wasn't even pretty, like he thought I was. I wasn't a true beautiful face, I wasn't even a true dancer. I was living a lie.

   My sadness was replaced quickly wit excitement and shyness. We crossed the street. Just when I was about to step onto the other side of the curb, Minho suddenly screamed, "Look out!"

   I looked over and screamed. A car was driving at 100 miles an hour straight at me, even though it was a red light. It showed no intention of stopping, and even if it did by now, it would still hit me full speed.

   My legs suddenly stopped moving. Everything was in slow motion. I felt like my legs were blocks of concrete, and I couldn't move them an inch.

   I shielded my face with my arms, a car horn blared, screeching of tires, and..................