Ugly Duckling Turned Swan

Ugly Duckling Turned Swan

   "Excuse me?" I asked, shocked.

   The angel Jaejoong smiled. "I wanted to grant one wish to a human. So I disguised myself as an injured swan and waited for someone to come and help me. However, everyone was too scared to get near me. Only you did."

   "So, are you saying you can grant me one wish? Anything I want?" This was too unreal.

   "Anything you desire." Jaejoong replied.

   "Okay then." I said stoutly. "Then I wish to be a real lady. I want to be pretty, and be able to cook, clean, sew, and dance. I want to be graceful. Can you do that?"

   Jaejoong smiled again and bowed low. "Your wish has already been granted."

   Another flash of bright light startled me. I squeezed my eyes closed to block out the pain. It felt like I was being stung by a thousand bees and kissed by a thousand butterflies all at once.

   My entire body was stinging, but it didn't hurt anymore. Everything, from the strands of my hair to the tips of my toes, were tingling with a kind of power.

   I opened my eyes to find blackness. A golden thunderbolt flashed, and I closed my eyes again. I fainted.

 

   I woke up in my room, asleep under the covers. Was that swan-angel Jaejoong all a dream?

   I felt like crying. It was just a dream. I would never be beautiful or graceful or a good dancer. I was still an ugly duckling.

   I got up and found my ratty old pyjamas were too big for me. In fact, the pants were practically falling down, and my shirt was slipping down my arms. I hitched them up and walked to the bathroom to wash my face.

   Finally wide awake, I looked at myself in the mirror ... and screamed.

   This wasn't me. The girl staring back at me horrified wasn't me.

   She was skinny. Her dark hair was lustrous and thick and shiny. Her eyes were huge and beautiful. Her nose was small and perfect. Her lips were the colour of rosebuds and they were luscious and full. I looked at my hands.

   These long, slender, beautiful fingers weren't mine. These long legs weren't mine either. And this chest certainly wasn't mine!

   "Do you like it?"

   I whirled around and nearly screamed again. There was a man outside of the bathroom!

   I realized it was the angel, Jaejoong. Except he didn't have wings or a halo of light. He looked like a handsome young man wearing a suit.

   "So, it wasn't a dream?" I whispered shakily.

   "Nope. It was real. I simply carried you back home." Jaejoong looked me up and down, and smiled proudly. "I think your wish has come true, is it not? Try something."

   I ran to the kitchen and tried to boil water.

   I think I am the only person in the world that can burn water by boiling it. But I was able to boil it easily.

   I cracked an egg into a frying pan. I always burn myself and tiny egg shell pieces always end up in the yolk. But this egg turned out beautiful and perfectly done, and it was delicious.

   I ran back to my bedroom and the radio. SHINee's song Lucifer was playing. I started doing the moves I had carefully planned out but never could perfect. I did them. And trust me, I looked good. I was shaking my hair from side to side, moving my body ... I looked incredible doing it!

   Jaejoong was watching me the whole time. I smiled and laughed. "This is incredible! Jaejoong, this is like a dream!"

   Jaejoong held up a sheet of paper. "This was a notice that came up just this morning. I think you might like it."

   I took it. "SHINee wants female back-up dancers? Why? Lee Taemin is good enough for them all."

   I looked down the sheet. Apparently, the back-up dancers were for their new upcoming album, Star-Crossed Lovers. "Are you saying I should try out for this?" I asked Jaejoong.

   Jaejoong nodded. "It will make your dreams come true."

   The tryouts were next week...