Ugly Duckling Turned Swan

Ugly Duckling Turned Swan

"Hey, ugly!"

Ugh... That was Nam Sunghee. She said she was my "friend", but she's always picking on me and taking my money.

"Hey, ugly, do you have any extra won on you? I want to treat my friends to drinks after class!"

I shook my head, backing away slightly from her. She scared me. "I'm sorry Sunghee, but I only have enough to buy me lunch today."

Nam Sunghee gripped my shoulder tightly and shook me slightly. "Well, Kim Sun, you can do without lunch for a couple of days. You know, to lose some weight. Now come on, give me it!"

My hands shook slightly as I took out all the won I had in my pocket and gave it to her. She pinched my cheek hard. "Thanks a lot, ugly. Maybe you won't be so fat anymore. Later!" She pranced away.

I walked quickly inside the building, tears springing to my eyes. I was already in my second-last year of university, and I was still getting picked on like a little kid in elementary school! I never felt so humiliated, but I couldn't say no to Nam Sunghee. She was cold and ruthless and cruel, and I know she would hit me if she wanted to.

I am ugly. Mom says I'm cute, but I'm not. If anything, I'm plain-faced. I have a too-wide nose and squinty eyes. My face is too flat and I felt overweight. I eat too much, and I can never keep a diet. My fingers are short and flabby, and I'm too short to be pretty. My legs are definitely something I shouldn't show too much of in public. I was an ugly duckling. If only I could turn into a beautiful swan.

I wanted to graduate from university and become a vetinarian, like my dad. Dad and mom moved away because of business issues, so I live by myself in an apartment. I had a part-time job as a waitress, but it didn't pay me much. Barely enough to buy me food and clothing.

After university classes were over, I walked home. I looked over and saw a poster of that super-cool band, SHINee. They were all so good-looking, and they sang very well, and they were good at dancing. I loved their songs, and I tried to dance to them by myself at home, which isn't a good idea. I have six left feet and I look like I'm being electrocuted when I try to move.

I stared a few seconds longer at the lead rapper, Choi Minho. Something about his face made me want to look at him a bit longer.

It was getting very dark out. The full moon was the only bright light outside.

Suddenly, I heard a loud, sort of squawking noise. I looked out to a park to hear a strange splashing coming out from the lake.

I ran forward, recognizing the sound. Under the moon's glare, I found a beautiful, magnificent white swan lying on the bank, splashing feebly at the water. I looked closer and gasped. Its wing was bent at a weird angle, and it had a bloody cut on its body.

I gently picked it up and tried not to jostle it. "It's okay," I said to the swan as though it could understand me. "I'm training to be a vet, so you'll be alright. I'll take care of you."

Suddenly, the moon's glare looked brighter than ever. I squinted my eyes. Was it just me, or was the bright light coming from the swan, not the moon?

The swan disappeared from my hands with one single flash of bright, white light. Instead, a supremely handsome young man was standing in front of me. He had pure white wings coming out from his back. He wore bright white clothing, and a small halo of light radiated from above him. He was hovering above the water, which was rippling just slightly.

I fell backwards and landed in the mud. But a dirty pair of jeans was the least of my worries right now. "What are you?" I whispered.

"My name is Jaejoong." The beautiful man replied. "I am an angel. Your greatest desire will now come true, my swan."