Ugly Duckling Turned Swan

Ugly Duckling Turned Swan

   "Nope." Jaejoong said sternly. "Again. From the top."

   I groaned and massaged my leg muscles. "Jaejoong, this is killing me. Why do I have to practice so hard?"

   "So you can get in to the SHINee back-up group with no problem at all." Jaejoong said, frowning. "Again!"

   Jaejoong has stayed in his human form for an entire week. He says he'll introduce himself as my manager. The auditions were tomorrow, and I have been practicing none-stop all day long.

   University classes were interesting. I walked up, and everyone was staring at me in awe.

   Nam Sunghee came up, looking shy. "Hello, what's your name? I've never seen you before."

   "My name is Kim Sun." I said, cringing a little, expecting her to call me ugly or fat or something again.

   Instead she shook my hand. "Nice to meet you, Sun! Let's be friends!"

   Huh. So this is what it's like to be pretty.

   Boys wolf-whistled at me and made catcalls as I passed. "You know," Sunghee said. "I used to know a girl called Kim Sun."

   "Oh." I stammered. "Y-you d-did?"

   "Yes. She was fat and ugly and clumsy. The complete opposite of you. I heard she was moving to America to complete her University diploma." Jaejoong must have done that. He really has thought of everything.

   Everyone who used to tease me and bully me suddenly wanted to be my friend. Sunghee giggled like a little girl and twirled her hair when Jaejoong came to pick me up. "Is he your boyfriend?" She whispered to me. I smiled and shook my head.

   "I'm her manager." Jaejoong replied smoothly. "Kim Sun is an aspiring dancer. She's trying out for the back-up dancer auditions for SHINee."

   "I'm sure you'll get in, Sun!" Sunghee said, smiling at me like I was a goddess she worshipped or something. "Bye!"

   "OMG, she actually is nice to me," I mumbled. So this is what it's like to have friends. It was like all those years Sunghee has tormented me and taken my money and punched me was all a bad dream. This was my reality.

   We entered the auditions, and I found what looked like a thousand girls trying out. Some looked ugly and clumsy, which was what I probably used to look like. Some looked graceful and slender and gorgeous. Would I fit in?

   All the girls stared at me as I passed. "What are they looking at?" I whispered to Jaejoong.

   He smiled. "You. You are beautiful, and they see that as competition."

   A small man came up and read from a list five names. The girls stood up, shaking with fear, and followed him into the auditorium. Apparently, they have to free-style dance to one of SHINee's songs, and the SHINee members themselves will be judging.

   After a while of waiting, the man came up and called out five names, including mine. I stood up a bit too quickly, and girls giggled.

   "Ignore them. They're just jealous." I looked over to find a girl smiling at me. She was beautiful, with light coloured, curly hair and a small, heart-shaped face. She was a bit taller than me, and she looked as graceful as a deer. "My name is Oh Micha," she said, smiling.

   "I heard they are hiring two girls, so maybe it'll be you and me." She gave me one last, quick smile, then turned and walked away.

   I followed her and the line of girls into the stage. The spotlights blinded me. I squinted my eyes and gasped.

   There they were. Right in front of me. The SHINee band. There was Lee Jinki, Kim Jonghyun, Kim Kibum, and Lee Taemin. And Choi Minho was right in front of me. I was shocked speechless by their unique beauty. I couldn't tear my eyes away from Minho's face.

   "Alright, girls, good luck." Jinki (otherwise known as ONew) said, smiling reassuringly. "We'll be down here watching you. Just try to relax and have fun."

   They hopped down from the stage and settled into the front row seats. "Cue the music!" Minho called. I liked the sound of his voice.

   Lucifer came on. Was this a sign? I mean, come on, this was the first song I listened to, AND the first song I danced to when I turned beautiful. This was definitely an omen.

   My body turned liquidy, and I moved to the beat. Everything disappeared, even Minho. The only thing that mattered was the pounding beat of the music and the way my body moved to it.

   The music stopped, and I realized everyone was staring at me. Minho, the other girls, and Oh Micha. She looked surprised, a bit mean-looking, but smiled and gave me a thumbs up.

   We were led back to the waiting room. "You were great!" Micha said to me. "I mean, like, wow! I didn't think you were THAT good. This definitely means you and I are making it!" She seemed to be very confident she'll be one of the girls. I was too busy paying attention to my own moves that I didn't even know if she danced well or not.

   She pranced away, and I felt Jaejoong's hand on my shoulder. "Good job." He whispered. "I turned invisible to go see you. You were incredible."

   I rolled my eyes. Someone could have seen him turn invisible. He has to be more careful.

   We were walking home, after the small man told us the results will be posted everywhere in two days' time. "I saw that you were staring at Choi Minho." Jaejoong said after a while. "Do you like him?"

   I blushed. "Well, maybe ... I mean, I've always had a tiny little crush on him. All girls have crushes on pop stars, because they are impossible to actually get."

   Jaejoong smiled but shook his head. "Not impossible for you. If you get in, I have a feeling you and Minho will get very close. And angels are never wrong."

   That thought was too wonderful to think about. "Then why are you so worried?"

   Jaejoong sighed heavily. "Magic isn't perfect, Kim Sun. There's always a price to pay, or a loophole, or a time limit. In your case, there's a problem that I should probably tell you about before you get too involved with your new love life ..."

   "What's the problem?" I asked him. Of course. If I get something as incredible as this granted on me, there will always be a price.

   "The price that comes with your wish, Sun, is that ...................................."