Baby Steps

One Year Later

 

Jessica slowly opened her eyes. She found herself lying beside Onew, her head rests on Onew's Left arm while his right arms is wrapped around Jessica’s waist. She smiled shyly while looking at Onew's face. She carefully takes Onew's arm off her, biting her lips, hoping that Onew will not be awakened.

While she's standing up, Onew suddenly pulled her back and embraced her tightly, their nose are touching each other. Jessica's eyes widened. "Please don't go" Onew whispered, "But it's time for me to prepare to school! I must wake the-"

"I don't care, just stay with me, please?" Onew pleaded, he embraced her more tightly, Jessica shut her eyes tightly "Ah Onew, will you stop hugging me tightly?"

"I won't! Maybe you'll go when I'm fallen back to sleep." Onew's talking while his eyes are shut, he move his right leg and placed it across Jessica’s legs, "ah! Onew I can't move!" She protested, "I know, promise me that you will not leave me." Onew opened his eyes, and made an eye to eye contact with her. "Okay, I will not Leave you, Just loosen your arms and remove your leg across mine." she said, Onew closed his eyes and removed his leg on Jessica’s, He embraced her lightly. "Why you're still embracing me?" Jessica asked curiously, He didn’t give any response; she just shut eyes and took a deep breath.

"To the love birds, we're sorry that we leave your house without your knowledge. We decided not to bother you because both of you we're in a deep sleep. We also clean your room so you don't have to worry. See you later jess!"

Jessica read the letter that the 8 girls left, sitting at the couch, waiting for Onew to finish reheating the spaghetti Yoona left for them. She sighed. "It's ready!" Onew shouted from the kitchen. Jessica stood up and threw the letter at the couch; she walked to the dining table while scratching her head. "What's your problem?" Onew asked, while stirring his coffee, "Nothing, I'm just nervous for tonight's show." She answered, rolling the fork on the spaghetti, "is that so?, don't worry just be confident that you'll win this completion, I believe in you Jessica, Fighting~" Onew's support drew a smile on Jessica’s face, "thank you...so much." she blushed, touching her right cheek, Onew smiled at her and he started eating his food. The sound of a spoon that stirs a cup filled the dining area, "oh Jess, were do you want to go today?" Onew break the silence between them, "what? But we must go to school...right?" Jessica was shocked from what she'd heard, "Yes, but its Valentine’s Day festival today right? Attendance is not necessary, and if you want we could go to school at night for your performance." he offered, taking a sip from his coffee. "Yeah you're right." Jessica shook her head, "so, where do you want to go?"  

"What about the sea side?" 

"Why do you want to go there?"

"It’s been a while since I last visited the sea side, and by the way it's not that far from school." she defended, crossing her arms. "Is that so? Okay then. I must prepare now so that we could go there early." Jessica nodded; Onew stood up and walk toward the bathroom. Jessica finished her food so fast; she fixed the table and placed it on the sink and washes them.

"Wow, it’s so refreshing here!" Jessica exclaimed, stretching her arms wide, "yup, let's take walk then?" Onew offered, giving his hands to her, "let's go!"

Jessica's eyes are focused on the sand that they're walking; her hands are clasp at her lap. Onew's enjoying the view; his hands are inserted on his pocket. “Jessica, ah please don’t be shock for what will happen in the future.”

“What are you talking about?”

“My Uncle and his people are still chasing me, if they will know that I’m hiding at your house don’t be surprised if they will enter your house and get me.”

“Come on, it will never happen. You’re Onew! You can go to school without being caught.”

“They don’t know that I’m studying.”

“You’re living on a same roof but still he doesn’t know?”

“He’s not living on my aunt’s house.” Jessica shook her head.

               

"ONEW!" a familiar voice called from behind. Both of them looked back. The Woman is wearing a green sweater and a long green skirt "Auntie!" Onew yelled back, a wide smile began to appear on his face. "Jess, wait me here okay? I'll talk to my auntie for a while." he tapped Jessica’s shoulder and quickly run towards is auntie.

She put her handkerchief on the sand and she sat. Her cellphone suddenly rang, Sooyoung is calling. "Hello? Sooyoung why did call?" she asked. "Where are you huh? Please come here I’m all alone." Sooyoung said,

"Why? Where is Changmin? Didn’t he come? "

"Hey! What are you saying?”

"I was right! Changmin already forgot that it’s Valentine’s Day, oh poor Sooyoung" She teased,

“HEY! JUST SHUT YOUR MOUTH HUH! WHY? ARE YOU WITH DONGHAE AND YOU HAVING THE STRENGTH TO TEASE ME? OH COME ON JESSICA, YESTERDAY YOU’RE INLOVE WITH ONEW AND NOW YOU’RE INLOVE WITH DONGHAE" Sooyoung said angrily

"HEY CHOI SOOYOUNG PLEASE BE CAREFUL FOR THE THINGS THAT YOU’RE ACCUSING ME!" the call ended. "Sooyoung is so short tempered” she murmured.

She stands and grabs her handkerchief on the sand.

Taking a stroll, she saw Onew from the distance, talking to another girl; she wears a red blouse and tight jeans.

She was frozen from where she stands as the girl moves closer to him and kisses him. She turned around and moves away. She gets her phone from her pocket and call Sooyoung.

“Hello Sooyoung?”

“What’s the problem Jessica?”

“Wait for me I’m coming”

“Are you crying? Did Donghae, the one you love, make you cry?” the call suddenly ended. Her phone rang once again, “Hey! Choi Sooyoung I have no time with this okay? I’ll be there in an hour” she hangs up. She run to the nearest bus stop, and never turned her head back.

 

“Sooyoung, where are you right now?” she murmured, passing the bunch of people on her way.

“Hey Jess! Right here” Sooyoung shouts while waving her right hand. “What happened? Your eyes are red!” Sooyoung said thoughtfully, “Let’s find a quiet place first, I’ll tell you when we get there.” They headed to the Football field, while walking; Jessica gets her Phone on her pocket, and turned it off.

 

The atmosphere of the field was too quiet, perfect for a heart to heart talk. Sooyoung and Jessica seated on the grass filled ground. “So, tell me what happened.” Sooyoung said, “It’s nothing. I’m just shocked, from what I’ve witnessed.”

“So what it is exactly?”

“I see Onew, together with a girl.”

“That’s all?”

“And the Girl kisses him…on his lips.” Sooyoung pushed her and burst out in laughter.

“That’s all? Oh my you’re so shallow!” Jessica was pissed off, she stand and looked down at Sooyoung.

“YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND HOW I FEEL SOOYOUNG! FOR YOU IT’S SIMPLE BECAUSE YOU AREN’T ON MY PLACE.” She said angrily, Sooyoung stopped and the people’s eyes are looking at them. Sooyoung stood and hugged her.

“Calm down okay, I’m sorry.”

“You shouldn’t because I’m not on the right place to be jealous and cry because I’m just his friend.” She started to cry. Yuri, Hyoyeon, Yoona, and Tiffany came running towards Sooyoung and her.

“What’s happening here?” Tiffany asked, “I get it, you saw Luna already don’t you?” Yuri said, they looked at her, confused.

“Luna?”

“Who is she?” Yoona asked,

“She’s Onew’s first love. He even courted her for a year but Luna’s family decided to migrate abroad, that’s why.” Yuri said, “Don’t tell me Jess, you’re jealous?” Hyoyeon said, Jessica fell silent, “oh come on! Let’s forget these stuffs and enjoy ourselves! The music club had a mini-bar at the second floor. Do you want to go?” Tiffany cheered up to remove the gloomy aura around them, everybody agreed except Jessica, “Jess, Are you in?” she looked up and smiled.

                They went up to the second floor, as they enter the dark room, they could feel the booming sound hitting them. The blinding lights are dancing on the beat of the music. They go to the center and dance like there is no tomorrow, all the pain that Jessica felt fades away and a smile can be seen on her face.

 

                “Go Jess, You can do it!” her best friends, cheered. Jessica gracefully went to the center; she looked at the pianist at her back to cue her that it’s time for her to play. Her heart beats faster and faster as she scans the audience in front of her. Everybody went silent as the pianist hit the first note, and everybody gives Jessica a big round of applause when she started singing.

Everybody was amazed by her performance that they gave her a standing ovation.

“Oh my gosh, Jess you did it!” Taeyeon praised, “Thank you guys, I can’t do it without your support” Jessica thanked, “Awww, Girls it’s time for a Group Hug!” Sunny exclaimed, they stretched their arms and hug. In the middle of the celebration a man in a black suit with torn jeans interrupt their happiness, “Excuse me. Are you Jessica Jung?” Pointing at her,

“Yes, why? What can I do for you?”

“Perhaps you know lee jinki right? Or you know as Onew.” Suddenly she remembered what Onew told her earlier. She moves away from the group, and the stranger followed her.

“Yes I know him. But he’s not here tonight, he left earlier and I don’t know where he is right now.”

“Are you sure about it?”

“Yes.”

“Okay then thank you Miss Jung.” The man turned and moves away.

               

                Meanwhile, Onew went backstage to see and congratulate Jessica. “Hey! Where is Jessica?” He asked, they gave him a serious look, Yuri moved closer “A stranger went here and asking if she knows you, what’s this all about huh?” She’s dead serious, “Where is she?” he became uneasy “She went there, talking to that stranger.” Seohyun pointed, He suddenly rushed that made the girls scared.

                “Jessica!” Onew Exclaimed, Jessica turned. “Are you alright? Are you hurt?” he asked thoughtfully,

“No, why are you acting like this?”

“Who is that guy?” Onew said catching his breath,

“I don’t know.” His eyes went cold.

“This can’t be” He Grabbed Jessica’s hand and rushed out of the school, “Wait! What’s happening?”

“They already found me.”

“What? So what are you going to do now?” He flagged the taxi cab passing, and it pulled over in front of them. “Did they already found out my Home?” Jessica asked, there is a hint of fear on her eyes. “I Guess.”

They we’re both fell in silence.

 

                “This can’t be” Jessica muttered as her eyes scanned her house, the things are scattered around, the vases on the floor were broken into pieces.  It’s like a raid scene on movie, all the things are scattered and they’re not on their proper places.

                An Unusual sound echoed from the garden, Onew quickly grabbed her hands and ran away from the house. 3 men are chasing after them, “Onew! What should we do?” Jessica said, trying to run as fast as she can, “Hide and run away from them. That’s all we can do.”

 Onew turned to hide to a tree; he pulled Jessica and hugs her tightly, her head is on his chest and she could feel the warmth of his weary body. As the sound of the footsteps comes closer, he covers and hugs her more tightly, she was trying to loosen but he’s pulling her back. She closed her eyes, hoping that this will end soon.

                Onew loosen his tight hug. Jessica is catching her breath “are they gone?’ she asked,

“I think so.”

“I’m so tired Onew.”

“But we can’t go back to your house.”

“Oh yeah. What should we do now?” Onew crouched down, “Ride on.” He offered, “But you’re tired and-“

“It’s alright; this night is more tiring for you.” she stands and removing the dirt on her uniform. “JESSICA!” a male voice echoed from the distance. “Kai?” Jessica muttered, the man runs towards them “Jessica, It’s been a long time!” The man said, He’s wearing a blue shirt, with blue jeans. “Kai, cousin, what are you doing here?”

“I just drop by here to greet you; I’m on my way back home so I decided to drop here. By the way, is auntie home?”

“No, she’s in Paris right now. Listen Kai, We desperately need your help, right now.”

“Sure, just tell me. I’m always ready to help you.”